“Disappointed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We regularly stay at Embassy suites and have been more or less satisfied but our recent experience at this hotel has proved otherwise.The only reason we chose to stay here was because it was close to New York and we could commute by train and avoid all the traffic hassle.The receptionist was not at all welcoming and seemed more interested in entertaining
another hour glass figured lady who came after us rather than my husband and myself.Once we were in the room I realized that there were no extra sheets,blanket and pillows for the pull out couch.We called the front desk to request for some and waited for them to be brought to the room but even after 1.5 hours no one turned up,I made a second call with the same request and waited the whole night and nothing was delivered.As we were all tired i had to make do with pulling a sheet and pillow from the bed.The following morning i had to go downstairs and ask for the extra sheets and pillows at the front desk.For the price they charge the service was terrible and they did not bother replacing the toiletries either.Won't be staying here in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Adrienne T, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your review of Embassy Suites- Newark Airport; and please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory stay. We strive for exemplary service; however, it appears we fell short of your expectations.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The two star rating has been given for the freezing cold shower, the slippery shower floor material, the lack of proper shelving in the shower to put your products, and the airplane noise. You should not have to put your shower products on the floor of the shower and I've stayed at a new Fairfield Inn next to the Buffalo Airport and heard NO plane noise whatsoever.

But five stars are given to executive chef Terrell Wilson. I called ahead of our visit and spoke with Mr. Wilson about whether gluten free options would be available at breakfast. He told me to ask for him when we came for breakfast. He made and served our gluten free breakfast himself. The GF bagels were the best I have ever eaten. He went out of his way to ensure that our needs were met and exceeded any expectation I had of having food that we could eat. Thank you, Mr. Wilson.

Regarding the two stars, PLEASE fix the water problem at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Adrienne T, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your review of our hotel, it is always our goal to exceed expectations in all aspects of a guest's stay, and clearly this was not met regarding the water temperature during your stay. We encountered an issue with our water heater and it was quickly addressed, but we’re sorry that it wasn't resolved sooner.

Your feedback has been passed along to our Executive Chef. Thank you again for your review and we hope you’ll give us another chance the next time you return to the area.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Helpful and friendly staff. Great location, located just across from jersey Gardens Mall.....very easy to walk to the mall..Good service.Comp. breakfast was good.....great variety of breakfast foods.
Rooms were spacious and clean.

1  Thank Edmar M

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you thought our hotel was beautiful and that you enjoyed some of our great amenities such as our Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and our clean and spacious 2 room suites.

Your feedback has been forwarded to our staff. We look forward to your return trip.

Adrienne T.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my family for 6 nights in June 2014. This is a new hotel, experiencing opening pains. Breakfast was constantly running out of items that were never replenished: coffee, fruit, bacon, etc. Dirty sheets and garbage in pull out couch. Didn't make up room one day, manager on duty told me they only make up rooms every three days! Yikes. This is a good chain, I"ve stayed in them for years. I'm sure the manager I spoke to will be fired and they will get the kinks out over the summer. Try it in 6 months, I'm sure it will be fine by then.

2  Thank Clayton W
Adrienne T, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

We’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed at Embassy Suites. Nice spacious, lovely Comp breakfast, but you had to pay by the day for internet. "Come on Embassy Suite." If you are not a Gold member you have to pay. But they have free internet service on their computers in the business center. Great hotel to stay otherwise. I relaxed in the whirlpool the night before coming home. AC computerized system that shots off. Will I stay again. Yes but, I would have to go downstairs to use the internet.

It's not just Business people that stay in your hotel.

We also went to play "Holler If Your Hear Me" in New York Very good, Young Artist showing off their talents. Must see, but not for children. It told the story of Tupac Shakur. Give them a chance. I loved it .

This was my first trip in years that I didn't shop till I dropped lol. It was a relaxing trip

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you thought our hotel was beautiful and that you enjoyed some of our great amenities such as our Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and hot tub before you headed back home.

We hope to see you again soon!

Adrienne T.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms and stayed 2 nights we stayed on the 8th floor 804 & 805. We had very little water pressure on Friday 6/20/14 and on Saturday we had no water in the morning and at night. I called the front desk and they said it was nothing that could be done about the water pressure, I spoke with other guest on different floors and they said they had no problem with shower or sink water? The toilet flushed and re-filled with no problems. I realize that it is a new hotel but this was unexceptable we had to go out to buy baby wipes and bottled water to use in order to clean ourselves. Sunday we were able to wash in the bathroom sink but still not enough water presser to take a shower. I was extremly disappointed the hotel was over booked that weekend so we couldn't move to another floor. I am a rewards member and at the end of my stay I didn't receive not 1 apology but instead treated as if I did something about the water. I was never offered any compensation for the bad experience. I have been with Marriot for years and I have had this happen when staying with them but they at least said sorry and they gave me 3 free nights stay and I did NOT have to ask, it was done without any expectation on my end as a way to keep me satisfied and that's why I always use their accomadations no matter what country I'm in. I thought I would try a new hotel experience and I had heard such great things about the Embassy Suites only to be let down and receive such poor quality customer services :(.

2  Thank Michelle F

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had a great time. It was because of my conversation with Brian on the phone when I called to inquire about the property, assuring that its a safe, quite, and a great place to stay and that my two 10th grade law students would be safe since, well, its near New Jersey...Embassy Suites has a great reputation the times I stayed on my US travels. My two 10th grade law students had such a great time that they didn't want to return to Los Angeles, California. The nice gentleman that checked us in was courteous, professional, and hospitable and I didn’t realize he was the guy that I had spoken to on the phone when I was in Los Angeles. When he said there was a mall nearby, he wasn't joking, it’s right across the street and saying its huge is an understatement. The Front desk personal was rock star, always nice, always helpful, always patience. The young lady at the front desk with the Japanese tattoo on her right wrist (it means friendship) and her front desk partner treated us like royalty. Luis the cook, along with the other cook, a cool guy as well, was nice to us, and their food delicious. The airport shuttle drivers John and Percy (from Peru) were helpful and provided great customer service, with Percy making sure that only hotel guest rode on the shuttle. In fact, I had to apologize to Percy at one point for him wanting to make sure that I was a guest at the hotel when I and my students arrived at the hotel and immediately headed to the nearby mall; he wanted to see my card to make sure that I was a guest. I thought he was being unfair, yet I learned later that people sometimes ride the shuttle to go to the email so I later apologized to him for disrespecting him as he was only doing his job. He and John are cool people. The lady at the hotel bar was really helpful, and enjoyed conversing with the bar patrons, she also made a perfect Kahlua Sombrero (sp?), so perfect that I took a photo of it.. Another lady at the front desk, Elizabeth…rock star. Elizabeth was awesome and like the rest of her team she was helpful to everyone that came to the front desk. She took care of us and made sure we had everything that we need. The whole stay was excellent. Looking forward to staying there again, it was a great trip, and the Embassy Suites was a great place to stay. I’d recommend it to anyone traveling to New York because least I forget, it is very easy to get to New York City from the hotel..and what we paid to stay there for a week, would have only allowed us to stay in NYC for 2 days..in a suite no less...Rock Star.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Said D

Thank you so much for taking the time out to review our hotel. It is always our goal to exceed expectations in all aspects of a guest's stay, and clearly we succeeded! We are so excited you enjoyed your stay! All of your comments have been forwarded off to the staff and they are all so thankful.

We look forward to your return trip!

Guest Experience Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
0 mi away
Courtyard Newark Elizabeth
#6 of 13 in Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport? Share your experiences!