“Somewhat Disappointed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The reason my answers were more average than above is because of the hotel ambiance. This hotel really needs music, bar and restaurant open throughout the day, and just an overall air of excitement. It seemed really dead and it should not have been given the newness and the lobby beauty. We checked in at 3 PM and our room was not ready, therefore, had to sit in the lobby with nothing open. No one notified us that the room was ready and had I not gone up to the desk again (while sitting in full view of the desk) we would have never known we could check in. We went to get coffee the next morning and there was no milk or cream until 10 AM.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 767cherylc
EmbassySuites N, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to complete the on-line survey. We realize you have several options when it comes to Lodging and truly appreciate you selecting the Embassy Suites - Newark Airport. Your comments concerning the Hotel have been noted and passed on to our Entire Team. We look forward to serving you again in the not too distant future when travels bring you back to the greater Newark area and as always " Be our Guest".

Jeff Fowlkes, CHA, CFBE

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Awful food, poor cleanliness, overpriced drinks in bar, not at all up to expectations of an Embassy Suites. I did get a partial refund after complaining but feel I should have gotten both nights free,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandi A
Adrienne T, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to complete an on-line review. We realize you have several options when it comes to Lodging and truly appreciate you selecting the Embassy Suites - Newark Airport. Your comments concerning the Hotel have been noted and passed on to our Entire Team. By copy of this correspondence I have directed the Guest Experience Manager to also credit the additional night, my apologies and kindest regards.

Jeff Fowlkes, CHA, CFBE

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is brand new and it is well designed. The only reason I give it less than 5 stars is breakfast is included, but doesn't start until 7am. Most Business travelers stay in an airport hotel for an early morning flight. Not even an apple in the morning. Otherwise it was a very nice comfortable hotel

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
EmbassySuites N, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and comments regarding your most recent stay with us.

We are so happy to know that we were able to provide you with an excellent stay. We appreciate your business and loyalty and look forward to your soon return.

Guest Experienced Manager

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My family and I stayed at the hotel in July the day before our flight out to Orlando. Last year we saw it being built when we were staying at the hotel next door, so this year was a treat to actually be staying in the "New" hotel, which is only a few months old. The lobby is very art deco and has a lot of natural light. You can immediately figure out that the property is new because everything sparkled and was clean.
The front desk staff was cordial and accommodating which to me is always a plus! Our room on the 8th floor was clean but smaller than other Embassy Suites I've stayed at outside of the airport zone. The bathroom was enormous and very modern, right down to the sink and faucet. I would have preferred a larger bedroom but given the fact that everything was new, I didn't mind. In the main living area was a desk/table that was moveable (on wheels) that I almost lost some items I went to place on it but accidentally moved the table with my leg. I did attempt to look for lock clips on the wheels but didn't see any. The beds were comfortable but the noise was very loud from the planes at Newark that I don't think the windows were soundproof at all.
The next morning we had breakfast in the dining area. Everything was wonderful however the staff moved very slow when we asked them to replenish the silverware. A few business men and my family waited over 5 minutes before they reappeared with clean utensils. Unfortunately by the time she came, my son's and daughter's eggs were cold - so they had to trash them and get another serving that was warmer.
All in all - I would stay at this property again before traveling out of Newark because of the location, convenience, and buffet breakfast that would have cost us $50 easily if we had to eat out. I would have given this property 5 stars but because of the noise factor (which woke me up prior to my alarm going off) and the slow staff response, I have to give it a 4, which still isn't bad.

Room Tip: to minimize some of the airplane noise - I would choose a lower floor room not facing the airport
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Sincerely, Adrienne T.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

very nice experience. Room lovely! Breakfast extremely good with many options. Housekeepers and desk workers very friendly. Pool rather small, but still nice. Mattress very comfortable. Drapery really was room darkening. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you thought our hotel was beautiful and that you enjoyed some of our great amenities such as our Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and our clean and spacious 2 room suites.

Your feedback has been forwarded to our staff. We look forward to your return trip.

Sincerely, Adrienne T.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The staff was not pleasant. Room was not clean. Food from other occupants was left outside our door from the time we arrive until 1 hour before we left. Not a pleasant experience. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There aura of the hotel is horrible. From the front desk to the room service to the chefs. To have been there on business for our organization's trip it was unfortunate we could not enjoy ourselves completely. From the moment of check-in I was displeased and it was not until the front desk clerk realized I am affiliated with the Hilton that his demeanor changed. Everyone that enters that hotel should be treated with respect and courteously.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Adrienne T, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service. We do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We've addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area, you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.

Yours in hospitality,
Guest experience Manager

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed here for a week in June while we were moving and had a great experience. The rooms were large, by Tri-state area standards. While they aren't the largest Embassy Suites rooms I've stayed in, they were big enough.

The beds were insanely comfortable and the bathroom was pretty impeccable. Only issue I had was the lack of wifi I'm the room. Even with silver status it wasn't accessible. Was told only Diamond members got free wifi in the rooms. It wasn't a deal breaker- I was able to pickup the lobby signal no problem.

The happy hour was good, but not nearly as great as other ES properties I've been to.

The staff was exceptionally nice.

We also loved that it was walking distance to the outlet mall and various chain restaurants, which was great for staying somewhere with young kids that want to get out.

Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel! We are thrilled that you thought our hotel was beautiful and that you enjoyed some of our great amenities such as our Complimentary Cooked-to-Order Breakfast and our evening Managers Reception.

We look forward to your soon return.

Guest Experience Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton Newark Airport
#3 of 14 in Elizabeth
Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport? Share your experiences!