“Rooms are very dated”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
Belfast, N.Ireland
“Rooms are very dated”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Although close to Newark airport, I think there may be better options also close by. When you book Hilton, you expect a certain standard. This was certainly missing here. When I checked in due to my member status, I was upgraded which was great. The upgraded room however was very old and dated and needs a lot of work to it. It actually felt dirty and had a bit of a smell to it. I dread to think what the room would have been like if I had not have been upgraded. Don't think I will use this hotel again when I need an overnight at Newark airport.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
AdamHeffron1, Manager at Hilton Newark Airport, responded to this review, 25 January 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Adam Heffron
adam.heffron@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stay at this hotel every time I have an early flight out of Newark Airport. It is nice and clean and well maintained as the staff is friendly. I have not experienced any other acomodations that this hotel provides besides check in at 8:00 pm and check out at 4:00 am. I understand some people may be turned off that the fact that there are no restaurants in walking distance from the hotel but the hotel does include a bar and restaurant. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel was fine and it is close to Newark Airport. Other than being close to the airport and catching an early flight - not sure why would stay here. Also, it is very annoying when they advertise a rate and then they charge extra for parking and wifi. Also food and drink prices are high.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank PhilFisher
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Good hotel right next to Newark airport. The room and amenities were fine. No restaurants within walking distance so I had to eat at their bar/restaurant. Limited menu, the first thing the bar tender said to me was "happy hour is over". I didn't even ask about happy hour, I just wanted to get something to eat. Location was good because I had an early flight but next time I might try another hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Northants, UK
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I often stay at this hotel before an early flight out of Newark.

It's a good choice as long as you allow time to get there. Getting the hotel shuttle from the airport is not a great experience, with at least a 15 minute gap between buses. The waiting area for hotel shuttles is grim.

Once at the hotel, it's friendly, clean and comfortable. The restaurant is OK to good.

There is no executive lounge at the hotel - an omission!

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors - they are refurbished. Avoid being by the elevators or ice machines
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2014

First, you need to realize that this is an airport hotel. The view is the airport and everything associated with an airport, so you need to be prepared for that.

When you get to the airport, you will need to take the tram to the station where the shuttles pick you up. It was about a 15 minute wait, I think they advertise shuttles every 20 minutes.

We were put on a renovated floor, which still wouldn't compare well against a 5 star hotel, but it wasn't too bad. Rooms were quiet, bed wasn't too bad, all in all a clean, functional place to spend a night or so in transit.

If we were to end there, I would give the hotel an average rating, but I gave it a bump because of the service. We needed a cab for a couple of trips, and they have a local car service based in the hotel. The gentleman (Joe) was extremely helpful and really helped us get around.

We also grabbed some food in the hotel bar our last night, and the service was great. They stopped by frequently to check on us, and genuinely seemed to care about us, not something you see everywhere.

I'd definitely stay there again on my way through the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank phildude
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff provides just basic service for diamond members, not what I was expecting after traveling to most of the Hilton ' in the USA. The restaurant don't have a good menu, and the staff really need to do a better job when servicing b/c I had to ask for everything, it was quite annoying. If you are looking for great or even good quality service please do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel

Been to Hilton Newark Airport? Share your experiences!