“Solid value”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Elizabeth
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Solid value”
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Stayed with a small group for two nights. Pail $100 per room. Traveled into NYC to catch a Yankees game.

Pros: Solid Hampton Inn that closely follows standards. Nicely appointed room with good bedding, small fridge, small microwave. Plenty of off-street parking. Fairly quiet room. Front desk provided good information on how to get into the city, and accommodated late checkout request. Nice breakfast and pleasant common areas.

Cons: A bit far from the city if that's why you're visiting, but certainly doable. Highly visible security (security truck parked half-blocking entrance to parking with lights flashing), so they've probably had problems in the past as indicated in prior reviews. We had no problems.

Recommended for value and quality as long as you consider the impact of location on your trip.

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Hebrew first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My sister and I followed a tour group (L&L Travels) to New York and 2 nights accommodation (12th and 13th July) at this hotel was part of the package. After checking out at 6.45am on 14th July, we waited to be picked up by our agent (as per planned the day before).

However, our agent still had not arrived by 7.15am. I searched for a pay phone at the hotel but there was none. Hence I approached the Manager On Duty (an Indian man, I forgot his name) to ask for his assistance in making a phone call. He was reluctant to help me and told me to wait till 7.30am instead as they're most likely caught in a traffic jam.

By 7.30am, there was still no sight of the agent hence I approached the Manager again. This time he made the call for me and I spoke to the agent. I was asked to call the Tour Agency itself instead as there was a mix up. I then asked the Manager again for his help and he dialed the other number (with a very annoyed look). After discussing with the tour agency, I was asked to call yet another number. After explaining the situation to the Manager, he told me that I would not be allowed to make another phone call as it is not allowed.

There is no pay phone in the hotel (as confirmed by the same Manager) and yet he will not assist me by just lending me the phone. This is definitely not the level of service I expected from a hotel in the Hilton group. Although I did not purchase my stay directly as HHonors member (since this was part of a tour group), but I would expect to receive the same level of service. Very disappointed!

• Stayed July 2010
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I had an early flight out of Newark Airport so I drove up here from Phila the night before and took advantage of their Park and Fly package. I am quite familiar with Hampton Inn so I was not expecting 5 star accomodations but I would have to say that this hotel was below my expectations for the cleanliness and overall experience. For example my bathroom door did not open in my room so I had to call security to help me open it. It also smelled like cigarettes, and I had requested a non-smoking room. I was a little grossed out by the carpet in my room given the smell and overall appearance. I probably could have lived with all of the above inconveniences however the parking was another story. I know that Newark is the car theft capital in the country (or certainly one of the top 10 locations) so I was not naive in leaving my car there. I'm from Philadelphia after all, I know a thing or to about cars being vandalized. It has Lojack, an alarm, wheel locks and was parked directly in view of two security cameras in the lot that was staffed by a security guard 24 hours (or at least that was what I thought). I knew it was a high crime area but I was pretty confident that my car would still be there when I got back given the theft deterrant measures in place. Well, my car was in fact still there when I got back however my right front window was smashed and my glove compartment was ransacked along with my center console. Management told me that security was on the other side of the buliding when the incident took place. (Maybe they were helping someone else open their bathroom door?) They did show me the video footage of two males who pulled up in a Lexus and one got out with a crow bar and tried to pry my passenger door open, bending the frame and breaking the window. It looked like something from a movie. The guys had hoods on so you could not see their faces. They did $1000 in damage to my car and ended up taking an iPod from my glove compartment. The quality of the image on the security camera was so poor that the license number on the car was not visible even though it was a fairly close up shot of the plate. It was even a stretch to confirm that it was a NJ plate. Management refunded my room and parking and offered the assistence of a slow motion employee to help me clean up all the broken glass in my car. I ended up doing most of it myself because the guy was so slow. So even with the room reimbursed I was still out over $800 as a result of the incident and I was incredibly inconvenienced by it. Management just kept repeating that they are not obligated to compensate me for my loss because I signed a waiver. I felt that my loss was due to their negligence. The lot as it turns out was not monitored 24 hours and the surveilance cameras were useless. The police officer who took my report did not even want to see the video because he was very familiar with it and said it was worthless. Given the area, I felt that Hampton Inn did not take adequate measures to provide security to my car. They provided me with a false sense of security in marketing a "Park and Fly" package. It should have been called a Park, Fly, Clean Up the mess from the vandalism, and Pay for Repairs package. Given how familiar the officer was in taking the report at that hotel, it seems like a regular occurance. There are many other hotels in that area so I would recommend staying at another one if you plan to drive there. I had a much better experience at the Marriott Courtyard the last time I flew from Newark. It is a little hard to get to but they seem to take greater measures to protect your car. I am a Hilton Gold member so I stay at Hilton family hotels all the time. It would not surprise me if Hilton drops this hotel from the Hampton name in the near future. I

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phillyguy22
Reviewed 30 May 2010

i was kind of affraid to park my car from all the other reviews about robberies so i took everything out of my car and all was well. the staff was very friendly and helpful. the location is nice being its so close to the airport and 10 minutes away from the Path, although its nearly impossible to navigate around the confusing streets... even my GPS was a bit confused. the room was nice an spacious but the bathroom had long hair ALL over it... im not talking like 1 or 2 strands im talking like someone was sitting in there pulling their hair out and throwing it around. it was on the sink, the tub and even the toilet. im posting a picture of the hair i found on the floor. otherwise my stay was very pleasant and i would definately stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
chicago, IL
Reviewed 28 March 2010

This is my first review but the staff irritated me enough to warrant this. I had called two days ahead to ask for a no smoking room and was promised ad much. When I check the in, the room was marked "NS" but clearly was heavily smoked in. I asked to change (2pm) and they promised to accomodate me. By 8pm, I was told they had sold out. The sign on the door says "if you are not 100% satisfied, you don't pay. ". I asked but the general manager didn't have the authority nor was willing to call anyone that did. These are dome examples of the lip service without action. We had problems with the airport shuttle service (runs every half-hour except when it doesn't). I would suggest the Renaisance or Hilton instead. Thus is just a tired old Hampton run by smiling faces that won't actually fo anything for you.

• Stayed May 2010
2 Thank chicago_is_first
Stamford, CT
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I stayed at the airport Hampton Inn to take advantage of the free shuttle to the airport and $10 a day parking rate. When I came back I found that my passenger window was smashed and my car stereo was stollen. The shuttle bus driver told me that 12 cars has been also broken into over two nights. Obviously the security system in place is not sufficient to protect vehicles - park your car at your own risk.

They refunded me my room fee and parking but now I am going to be out almost $1,000 as I have a significant deductable and no glass coverage.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Storrs, CT
Reviewed 16 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Newark when our flight at Newark was postponed by 21 hours. We paid $89 but only spent 10 hours at the hotel. The room was great and very comfortable with free internet, tv, fridge and microwaves. The room and bathroom were both well decorated. The free hot breakfast was really nice and the hotel shuttle that picked us up and dropped us off at the airport was very helpful and quick. The hotel is on main highway so we did hear significant traffic noise due to the location. We slept well at the Hampton Inn Newark and management was most helpful to us.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,624 reviews
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport

Been to Hampton Inn Newark-Airport? Share your experiences!