“No wonder they made me prepay for the week”

Motel 6 Elizabeth - Newark Liberty Intl Airport
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Elizabeth
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I don't know if this is the standard of hotel/motel lodging that I've encountered in the greater NY area, and I certainly have stayed in worse. Just not much worse. In a word, unbelievable.

I arrived at the Newark International Airport late in the evening, and after some searching, found the shuttle that took me to the motel. The driver was surly, so I withheld my tip. Upon arriving, I was greeted quite nicely by the front desk person, who insisted that I prepay my week's lodging in advance, which I did.

When looking for my room I noticed that the main parking area had flooded. When I entered the room, I wanted to run away. It was so depressing. Walls with holes in it, uneven floors, worn furniture, ragged drapes, a toilet that when you sat on it wobbled. The heating cooling unit was going full blast, and when I attempted to turn it off, the cover fell off. I couldn't change the heat setting, and could only get the unit to either blow cold air, or hot air.

It was past midnight, and I was exhausted, plus I had made arrangements to be picked up the next morning, so I was stuck. Better to just sleep and hope for the best. To my amazement, the bed actually was quite good. I slept soundly.

They advertise a breakfast, that in reality is a sack lunch you ask for. It contained a granola bar, a muffin, and an apple. Yum, yum.

Midweek, when I became a permanent fixture in the lobby waiting for my ride, the front desk people warmed up to me. All of a sudden, the shoddy housekeeping in my room became excellent. The sheets were changed daily, and my awful room was still awful, but it became not so awful.

The building is in real need of repair, but the staff were cordial and accommodating. There are a number of restaurants within a short two block walking distance. A sports bar next door where the food is excellent, and further down the street a middle eastern restaurant that also serves great food.

However, someone should point out that in the lobby vending machine, condoms shouldn't be placed next to the fruit loops.

I'm really surprised that Days Inn have let these folks be part of that franchise, and I hope steps are taken to remedy things. I saw a hooker in the parking lot soliciting, and some other scary looking people wondering around. This is not the publicity Days Inn wants. Hopefully things will change, but until they do, reconsider your lodging.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sdsuprof

Reviewed 4 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alan G
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Don't anyone ever stay at the days inn Newark, NJ. There are holes in the wall, the locks have been busted numerous time, and it's filthy. The steps outside leading to our room were rusted and the bolts were coming out. Someone can get hurt !! The owner just wants your money....he doesn't care WHO or WHAT kind of trash he allows in.....
I feared for my life and felt trapped in my room because of the fights and screaming going on right outside my door. They never called the police.....the manager was sent to take care of the disturbance....which continued on for 2 -3 hours.
Where is the board of health ?? And where is the corporate offices from Days Inn ?? Aren't they suppose to inspect their hotels twice a year ??

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

2  Thank Samuel W
A TripAdvisor Member
Port St. Lucie
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I've stayed at other Days Inn hotels in other cities, I am sure, but they've never been in such condition. The temperature control knob of the air conditioner was broken. The knob that could be controlled made the room either gradually too hot when turned one way, or gradually too cold when turned the other way, Several times during the night, I had to get up to adjust it. The night tables were far away from the bed. That means I could not access the night lamps without getting out of bed. the toilet seat was loose, but it worked fine. One could see outside through where the door closes. No insulation. The breakfast was laughable. No place to eat, but your room. You just get a bag with an apple, a mini cinnamon bun, a small cake bun, and a Hi-C. There is a coffee machine in a corner of the lobby. The bed was fine. Room service was adequate. The price was very good. However the place was not just inexpensive; it was cheap. It should be qualified as "Motel."

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elizabeth
Wyndham Garden Newark Airport
Hampton Inn Newark-Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark Airport
Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport
Holiday Inn Newark Airport
Extended Stay America - Elizabeth - Newark Airport

Been to Motel 6 Elizabeth - Newark Liberty Intl Airport? Share your experiences!