“A Courtyard disappoinment-Much less than I expected”

Courtyard Ewing Princeton
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ewing
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My last Courtyard experience was in Framingham, MA when a sudden heavy December,2013 snowstorm cancelled my drive home. I was a last minute minute check-in, had a wonderful dinner and in the morning looked out the window at my car in a handicapped spot. My car was covered in snow. I had breakfast, picked up a complimentary ice scraper at the front desk and went out to a car that had already been cleaned by the hotel maintenance people.:). That's why I'm a Marriott Rewards Member.

My visit to Ewing, NJ 8/2/14 started badly when my GPS told me I had arrived at the right address but Courtyard doesn't tell you that the entrance is around the corner. After two passes, I turned off the GPS and drove around the block to find the entrance. My sister, in another car had the same experience. At the front desk, instead of the usual, "Welcome to Courtyard, we're glad to have a Gold Elite member staying with us", directions to the market, breakfast times, etc, I was handed a room key and sent on my way. I had to look in the key folder to find my room number and I had to ask where the elevator was. There is no lobby coffee service, just overpriced Starbucks at the cafe. We put a bottle of soda in the refrigerator and when we went to drink it found that the refrigerator had been turned off. The bulb in a bedside lamp was burned out. We never received the call from the front desk to ask if all was in order in the room. In the morning, the chambermaid knocked on our door at 8:30 and we told her we would be checking out at 10:30. She was back again at 9:30 and at 10:30 she brushed by us into the room before we could get our suitcases into the hall. No one told us that as Gold Elite members we were entitled to complimentary breakfast (we were billed for it) At checkout, we told a different, very caring front desk person, about out negative experiences and she told us about all of the things we should have heard at checkin. She cancelled the breakfast charge and said the the free room coupon we used for payment would be restored to our account (but that hasn't happened yet.) I am happy to say that my Marriott experiences are always much better than this. My cousin spent the same weekend in the Springhill in Ewing with much happier results.

Room Tip: Near an airport, try to be away from the airport facing side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Reese J

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I booked at this hotel solely for its proximity to the Trenton-Mercer airport and its airport shuttle. I paid considerably more than I intended because I thought I would save money on taxi rides. I called early in the day to ensure that the West Trenton SEPTA station was within the five mile radius in which the hotel's shuttle operates. I was informed that it was inside it and to call back when the shuttle was needed. I called the hotel as my train approached West Trenton and was then informed that the shuttle requires an appointment and that the next available was over an hour away. The West Trenton terminal is a less than savory location to be stranded and I'm glad we elected to head to the hotel early so that it was still daylight. We needed a shuttle the next morning to the airport for our flight out, yet the airport shuttle doesn't operate before 7am. On both occasions I had to pay for cabs for a total of $45.

I have previously recommended wholeheartedly Courtyard Marriott facilities, however this experience was a severe disappointment. I have already cancelled my stay scheduled for next month at this facility and hope to deter other travelers from staying there until the shuttle service is sufficient for the price paid for a room.

The hotel itself was clean and nicely appointed but that was of little solace when I finally arrived. Although I was very unhappy, Rashan at the front desk remained very courteous and professional. He was the only bright spot in the entire transaction.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sgtbruder
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This title is there because I saw some bonus points posted to my Marriott account today. I stayed here with my daughter this past weekend. At around 1:00 am on Sunday morning the fire alarm went off and we all had to traipse around outside waiting until the Ewing fire department came and switched the alarm off. While I was waiting I saw that the lights in three rooms were flashing. My guess is that those rooms were designated as handicapped and the flashing was to tell the firemen and firewomen which rooms they were.
I didn't actually check out on Monday (I left at 6:15 am without going past the reception desk) and so today I was quite impressed to see a posting called "Bonus." I don't want to say how many points I got, only that it was high enough for me to say "thanks." I want to avoid the review going off on a tangent with other people saying, "well I got more or perhaps less when this or that happened at a Courtyard in x or y city." The points posting told me that they value me and my business and when something goes wrong they'll try to make it up.
A few points about my stay. I like this hotel, the reception people have been there for a while and they do their best. The location is perfect if you need to be in the area.
Notable point: You can stay here and then drive to the Trenton train station to take SEPTA to downtown Philadelphia. You can stay here and take NJ Transit from Hamilton to Newark or to NY City.
I do have to complain a bit, don't I? A friend came to visit and he couldn't find the place. The street address is given as 360 Scotch, but the entrance isn't on Scotch. Please invest in a sign or two to help first-time guests find the entrance. The hotel is easy to see once you've taken exit 3A or 3B but it takes a few steps, including using a New Jersey jughandle for a left turn, to actually get parked outside the hotel entrance.

Room Tip: If you take the first or second floor with either high or low numbers (e.g., room 201), you can use...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark N
EwingCYGeneralMgr, General Manager at Courtyard Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2014

Yes, Yes, Yes! We strive to keep our guests and thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving. And, the feedback that is shared truly impacts current and future visitors - signage has been added and more is on the way! We hope to see you on a future visit - Abby Kushner, General Manager.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Having stayed at the Courtyard By Marriott Ewing many times over the years...this time was even better. I noticed retention of Marriott Employees more so than any Marriott we enjoy. From the minute you walk in and greeted in a friendly manner to the rooms and Bistro...outdoor seating , pool and location...this is one of the nicest Courtyards. We plan to return many times.

Room Tip: If you like to watch planes ask for the top floors and in the 20's like 526... The airport is QU...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JKSnyder
EwingCYGeneralMgr, General Manager at Courtyard Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2014

Location Location Location is right! Courtyard by Marriott - Ewing/Princeton is centrally located to major highways and easy to travel in and out for flights! We thank you for frequenting our hotel and are excited to be able to serve you again. I hope to have the opportunity to thank you in person. All the best - Abby Kushner, General Manager.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked this hotel kind of last minute when we realized that our commute from Livingston NJ (where we were staying most of the week for a wedding.) would be too long and risky of a commute to make a 6:55 am flight out of the Trenton airport. This hotel is right across the street from Avis and just down the road from the airport so it is ideally located in that regard. We only had one night to form an opinion, so it may not be totally accurate. The staff at the desk and cafe was super kind and helpful, none of the gruffness we had experienced from other New Jersey folks working in the service industry. The lobby is awesome! I seems to be geared towards business folk, but our family of four felt totally comfortable down there. My girls hung out in the lobby to watch a movie on ABC Family. They have a tiny cafe in the middle of the lobby that serves beverages, alcohol, juice etc, and food. They were open until 10pm on a Sunday, which seemed pretty accommodating to me. The pool and hot tub were nothing special and the bottom of the hot tub did look like it needs some cleaning or painting--doesn't matter, the kids still loved it. Outside the room is a lovely, big patio area for relaxing, having a drink etc. The room was huge as was the bathroom. Very nicely decorated. The pillow were comfortable, but the bed is a bit firm. My spouse said he felt like he was sleeping on a board. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but he wanted me to share his opinion. We had to check out of the hotel around 5:30 to catch our flight, so the cafe wasn't open for breakfast, which we knew it wouldn't be and the coffee wasn't even out yet. That is really early, but I was still disappointed that the coffee wasn't out. It just seems like most hotels have coffee out, 24/7. I had requested a wake up call and the young lady who had to wake me up at 5:00 am was so sweet, that I almost didn't mind having to get up at such a ridiculous hour! I would stay here again, and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Only 1 night - we wish it were more! Thank you for your candid feedback about your short visit. Your extra sets of eyes help us to improve the service and services that we provide. We strive for excellency and this will help us do it! We hope to see you again - Abby Kushner, General Manager.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

For the price, this hotel was only okay. We picked it because it was close to the airport and our flight was getting in very late. Thankfully I called the day of to ask how to arrange for the shuttle, because I was told at that point the shuttle wasn't running (it was a Sunday, and apparently shuttle only runs weekdays). The entrance is really hard to find, even though the hotel is easy to spot. Breakfast is super-overpriced. When we got down the sheets to make up the sofa bed, there was a long wiry black hair in them. But overall the place seemed clean enough, and also safe enough. I have a feeling that for the money, there are better options.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Audrey W
EwingCYGeneralMgr, General Manager at Courtyard Ewing Princeton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. I personally apologize that we failed to provide you with a great experience. However, your comments will help us to improve the service and services that we provide. I invite you to return for a future visit - please contact me personally, when you are ready. Sincerely - Abby Kushner, General Manager.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Ok, easiest would be to say no AM free coffee bar. They say they feature Starbucks but you have to pay for it at their small lobby cafe' bar. Disappointed that no complimentary coffee anywhere in the lobby... The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating! The hotel looks relatively new and the room was very clean and comfortable. Nice gym/pool area. About a 15 minute ride on Route 95 to downtown Princeton.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TShed
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ewing
Element Ewing Princeton
SpringHill Suites Ewing Princeton South
Golden Plough Inn at Peddler's Village
Rodeway Inn & Suites - New Hope
Hampton Inn & Suites Newtown
Lambertville Station Inn
Lambertville Station Inn
#1 of 2 in Lambertville

Been to Courtyard Ewing Princeton? Share your experiences!