“Great stay here!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Fairfield
Rochester, New York
“Great stay here!”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was a beautiful hotel! We came here with a group of girls touring NYC. The rooms were tastefully decorated and updated, the bathroom was more like home than your typical hotel bathroom. The beds were comfy, lots of fluffy pillows and plenty of storage space. Favorite part? Silly, but there was a close-up mirror on the wall to the left of the sink that was great for putting on makeup. It was a nice touch.

The one thing it really lacked was an exhaust fan in the bathroom. Small but necessary to get all the heat and steam out after a shower. But, it was easy to deal with.

We had a breakfast buffet for our group and it was pretty basic; eggs, sausage, homefries, donuts, bagels, fruit and the usual coffee, tea, juice, etc. It was nice to have and a definite bonus so we could get our day started without having to find breakfast in the city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
SilviaV445, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear: Valued Guest

Thank you for that candid feedback, it's always great to hear the postive i will make sure I share this wonderful comment with the Hotels Staff.

Sincerly
Silvia velazquez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Clifton, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We finally had a real handicapped room in this hotel. It had a walk in shower, which most handicapped rooms in most properties do not. The entire first floor was renovated 2 years ago, after a flood. Our room was on the first floor and it very nice. The gym was supposed to be state of the art, but I am very familiar with exercise facilities and could not figure out how to use the cross trainers. It was spacious, but could have used more free weights and more cardio options. There was not a floor mat, had to use a towel from the pool area. There was not a snack bar nor a gift shop on the premises. It was quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Very pleased with my stay at the Crowne Plaza. It is beautifully maintained. The rooms are lovely and clean. Free WiFi and the breakfast, while not complementary, is very nice. If you are unfamiliar with New Jersey roads, you need to know about "jug handles, it is a painful way to make a left turn. In other words, you are making a big U turn to go the other way on the road. The hotel is on Rte 46, if you are going west, the hotel will be on your left, you need to be the right lane to get the next "jug-handle" turn-around. The hotel is very close to a large mall, but you may want to use the hotel shuttle to and from the mall. Getting to the mall is not the problem, it is the circuitous route you need to take to get back to the hotel that makes the shuttle a nice alternative. If you are traveling for business and your company or your client's company has a preferred rate; make sure that is in place before you register. Everyone at registration was very nice to work with, but I had to provide a business card or letterhead and it took 2 trips to registration to get my entire stay posted to the preferred rate.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
SilviaV445, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for recent correspondence regarding the Crowne Plaza Fairfield, We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

Front Office Manager
Stevensweert
Reviewed 25 August 2013

For business I stayed with a colleague for 2 nights here. Good spacious room, nice bed with many pillows, good desk to work at and the wifi-internet has good speed. The bathroom is rather small compared to the room. The staff is friendly, helpful and delivers good service. The breakfast buffet is good and the chef prepares the omelet of your choice. At night we had some good beers at the bar. Only complaint is the noisy airco (but good control of temperature and fan.)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding last weekend. Although there was a group booking for the wedding guests, I had ended up booking my King suite with AAA group rate. I was given a very nice suite, but the sink would not drain water due to a stopper that remained stuck in the "shut" position and would not open. We had to call maintenance engineer to get it opened, while we got delayed for one of the ceremonial events that night in the series of the Wedding Functions. With the first morning's event starting at 11:30AM, we had our "Please change Linen" sign hanging at the door since then. When we returned to the room after late lunch at 2:30PM, housekeeping had not made it to our room. With children's nap time, we hanged the "Do not Disturb" sign between 2:30 and 5:30PM. We removed the sign and went for the evening event at 6:30PM returning at 11PM to find that housekeeping still had not touched our suite. I ended up calling the front desk and they sent me new set of towels to hold us over in the morning. I was told that may be there was a language barrier for those employees who misunderstood the sign I had hung in the morning as "Do not disturb".

Next day, the Wedding was in the morning at 9:00AM. We got ready early in the morning and left. I had purposely left no sign hanging at all. We returned to our room at 2:30PM to find our suite just the same as day before. It was obviously nap time again, so we had our children sleeping pretty soon. Finally at 4PM there was a knock for housekeeping call, and it happened so that the Housekeeping Supervisor was also present at a neighboring suite. I went to the door and explained to the employee that this was no time to show up for house keeping. The response by the housekeeping supervisor was "did you have a 'do not disturb' sign hanging?" I explained that the previous day I had it hung during the "NAP TIME", but that at all other times, either there was "Change Linen" hanging or no sign at all. I did not want to drag the conversation since it was still the "Nap time" for everyone in my family. I told them so and for that second day, I again settled to receive a fresh set of towels instead of disturbing my children's nap "to meet" the time that was convenient for the Housekeeping Department to show up at the HOTEL where I was a paying guest with AAA rate. I did mention to the housekeeping supervisor that this was a repeat anomaly, and I had been staying there since two nights without any housekeeping done in my suite. Within a few minutes, I was given the fresh set of towels that I had requested.

In order to meet the "resolving customer issues right away" the phone rings in my room and the on duty Front Desk Manager is on the line. The Housekeeping Supervisor had informed him that there was a concern I had raised with her. She must have forgotten to mention that I had opted to settle for fresh set of towels instead of disturbing the children's nap for allowing their job of housekeeping to complete when they decided to show up. So why would a front desk manager think twice before ringing a phone in a suite with two phone sets during the Nap time??? My whole family woke up with the phone ring. I could not do any thing about it, so I had kept calm and had the discussion with the manager - answering his questions about my experience. He used the standard defense of I "MUST" have had the "Do not Disturb" sign. So I cut him short and told him I had no sign at all since morning that very day, because I intended to actually test their hotel's housekeeping protocols and practices - did he have an explanation why the knock was all the way at 4PM? If I had checked out at the usual 11AM, wouldn't they have prepared the suite for the next revenue's arrival right away or latest by at 3PM check-in time? There was no explanation, and I clearly sent a chilling message that I was a no-nonsense kind of guest especially with a reservation outside of the group code. Finally, I conveyed to him that there is no point discussing the would have, could have, should have scenarios and we had better figured out a solution to this obvious shortfall. My family and I had the Wedding Reception to attend that evening, so I told him that I would be out of my suite by 7PM, and he agreed to have the needful getting done before we returned from the Reception. We came back pretty late in the night to find the suite as we had found it the day we arrived.

Problem solved, do you assume? Not really. It was 1:30AM and when we used the sink, it clogged due to its stopper being stuck in the shut position once again. That suite had a broken stopper all along and their housekeeping protocol required the sink to be wiped clean/dry with the sink stopper shut. So it would turn out that each time housekeeping touches the suite, there needs to be a call for the Maintenance Engineering. I called and let the front desk know that we were again forced into the position to have no sink available in working condition. Children were already sleeping, so there was no option for anyone to come and fix the sink stopper. We used the bathtub instead of the sink and made do with the "Crowne Plaza Hotel" experience next morning before leaving at 4AM in the morning after only a short nap. I mentioned the mishap to the front desk employee when checking out, and he simply apologized for any inconvenience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Opting-On
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Opting-On,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Rest assured that I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had an opportunity to stay at the Crown Plaza in Fairfield when attending a family funeral in nearby Woodland Park. We were pleasantly surprised with this suburban hotel. Upon arrival, the woman who greeted us at the front desk noticed, without asking, that my elderly mother needed to be close to the elevator and provided us with a room at the best location in accordance with her mobility. They also offered us a full American breakfast buffet in the morning for additional five dollars (a great deal offered at the moment). The entire facility, lobby, bar, restaurant and guest room must have been recently refurbished since the decor was modern and updated. This always presents a clean and refreshing look to any establishment. The staff was friendly and professional. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again in the future when visiting family.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
SilviaV445, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear: Valued Guest

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. it is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our stafff's effort and takes the time to say thank you.

Your comments will be shared with entire staff, as reinforcement to contiue their efforts to make the Crowne Plaza Fairfield a leader of excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughful comments. we look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the furture.

Front Office Manager
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I booked two rooms for my family for a wedding reception. When we arrived at 4:10 PM, one room was ready, the other was not. The front desk clerk said she would call when the second room was ready. 45 minutes later no one called and we had to get ready to leave for the reception. I went to the desk, and was told that the room was still not ready. After insisting upon a room, she gave me a room that was already finished. Why not start with this instead of aggravating the customer? The room was nice except for the clock display which was way too dim to see. Bathroom was very clean. The unfortunate check in experience turned me off to a rather nice hotel, thus I'm only giving it a "three."

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
SilviaV445, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear: Value Guest

Thank you for contacting the Crowne plaza Fairfield regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apololgies for any inconvinince you may have experience due to the circumstances.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommadation and ouyour comments are very important to us. The feedback we recieve from our value guests. like you,enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avaided in the future. We appreciate that candid feed back we recive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appriciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Front office manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield
Best Western Plus Fairfield Executive Inn
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield
Ramada Wayne Fairfield Area
Holiday Inn Totowa
Holiday Inn Totowa
#1 of 1 in Totowa
Hilton Garden Inn Wayne

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Fairfield? Share your experiences!