“Fantastic afternoon activity”
Review of Golf House Museum

Golf House Museum
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Far Hills
More attraction details
Owner description: Three-story Georgian mansion that houses a library and museum with paintings, memorabilia and exhibits tracing the history of golf.
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our afternoon at the USGA museum. He is an avid golfer and I recently took up the game. There are rooms honoring the greats - Bobby Jones, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Mickey Wright and in 2015, Jack Nickalaus. My husband's favorite was the trophy room. There are several rooms that tell the history of golf in the US and have plenty of old equipment. Be sure to visit the putting green outside. We were given replica balls and clubs from the early 1900s and sent out to play 9 holes on a well manicured, hilly green. It is much harder than one would expect. Even non-golfers will enjoy this museum.

2  Thank Jane D
There are newer reviews for Golf House Museum

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stately brick buildings in the hills of Far Hills NJ are the perfect setting for this neatly arraigned museum. There is lots of history shown in photos, film footage and displays of equipment and dress. There are rooms featuring Ben Hogan, Bobby Jones and Arnold Palmer and soon to be added a Jack Nicklaus room. While at the museum arrange a tour of the adjacent research center where you’ll see how golf equipment and golf balls are tested to assure they conform to the USGA regulations. There is also a putting course behind the museum building with putters provided at the reception desk. The grounds are beautiful with stately trees and manicured lawns. It’s a bit out of the way but worth the trip especially if you’re a golfer or have an interest in sports history.

1  Thank RU4NJ
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stopped by the Golf House Museum on our way to New York after we noticed an advertising sign on the Interstate. My husband is a golfer, so the kids and I went along but enjoyed it as well. The grounds of the museum are lovely, with huge trees and a fountain. The museum is made up of several rooms and a chronological display. The first thing we say was the Aaron Palmer portrait called "Gratitude" which took 14 years to make and is made up entirely of words. It's amazing! There is also a room designed for Ben Hogan memorabilia. My teenagers particularly enjoyed seeing the Moon Club that hit the golf ball on the Moon. There is also an executive putting green that was fun. Overall, I would highly recommend a few hours at this museum. (The test center is only open on the weekdays, so we were unable to see that but heard it was also quite good). Also, just an FYI: this museum is free for active duty military and families.

1  Thank PennyJo1968
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Although I don't golf, I found this museum quite educational. Lots of history about how the first ball was invented and produced, information about the stars of golf ball and much, more. On lovely grounds.

1  Thank Arline Z
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Spent an afternoon here with the family when visitors came for a week. Dad and Sis are avid golfers, but all the rest of us enjoyed the museum as well. The guided tour of the test center was interesting. Make sure to use the replica putters and play the little putting course! A nice afternoon out.

1  Thank PaceJapan