“Very Disappointed”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Madison
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Carried out a Fish Fillet with Napa Cabbage/$18.95, and it had no more than three small broken pieces of fish, and the rest was cabbage and spices. It ruined my dinner.

• Visited September 2013

Short Hills, New Jersey, United States
“A bit of let down, but OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I usually read the reviews before trying out new restaurants. China Chalet is rated very highly, so we decided to try it. We ordered Three Greens and Chef's Special Chicken with Mixed Vegetable. Both were somewhat bland and we needed sauces to spice up our food. We requested and got a side bowl of garlic sauce (which was nice of them to provide at no charge). We also ordered dim sum and Hot and Sour soup which were again OK. Some of the reviews called it the best Chinese restaurant in the state and the country. I did not see that level of quality.

• Visited July 2013
Florham Park
““Bait and Switch” plus Rude Restaurant Manager”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I bought a take-out of the “Whole Tilapia in Spicy Black Bean Sauce” on my way home. After I got home and opened the box, I realized that it was not tilapia! It was much smaller than an average tilapia and tasted bad! I called the restaurant and was told that they substituted tilapias for other types of fish. “Would you not inform your customers that you are switching your menu to a different type of fish?” The manager arrogantly denied that the restaurant has any obligation of letting their customers know what they advertise on the menu is different from what they put on the plate! “It’s a better type of fish we sell to you!” he argued. Throughout the entire conversation, he had no word of apology nor did he express any regret of what happened. This reminds me of some appalling restaurant practice in China where lamb was substituted with rats! I hope this is not happening in the US, and not in the community that we live in!
I would have rated zero star if I had the choice.

Visited May 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
“Good Local Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

We got take-out from here... everything was very good. This is a very typical Chinese restaurant serving all the classics.

Visited February 2013
New Providence, New Jersey
“Price going up but service going down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

I work in a company near by and we frequented this restaurant since 2008. Over the years, we have seen the prices going up and up. Not sure if it is due to inflation or if management just figures that the business is busy and they will just want to jack up the price no matter what. The food tastes good, but with the price going up continuously, I personally feel that it is not really worth my buck anymore. My personal experience is that the service has gone downhill too. Recently, I was there during lunch hour. The restaurant was packed. The waiter was a bit overwhelmed and I knew he was just busy, but he practically threw the food on our table. I think a minumum standard needs to be maintained and I am very dissappointed to see that it is not the case.

• Visited February 2013