“Nice hotel - it's worth the price”

Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Florham Park
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed here for a night. The room and the hotel is very clean. Free Wifi in everywhere inside of the hotel. Just like it!

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We booked this room on Hotwire and got a great price. The room was fresh, clean and spacious. Super-fast Internet, nice toiletries, convenient parking. Not much within walking distance but the hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you need to go including NJ Transit station for trip into NYC.

Room Tip: Dublin Pub in nearby Morristown has great food and live music.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
kajencki33, Manager at Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thank you for your kind words regarding our property. We are proud to offer affordable accommodations and amenities while still providing a high level of service to all of our guests. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our shuttle service to the New Jersey Transit commuter train and that you were able to visit the town of Morristown while you stayed with us. Please think of us again, in the future, if you are ever in the Morris County, NJ area. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

If you are needing a decent place to stay , the Hamilton Park is ALL THAT . It is spaceous . WI-FI is everywhere . The rooms are fresh & clean . Great plush bed. HD large TV .The people are friendly . The computers available to the guests were top of the line (Alienware computers - amazing). Other than a plastic toilet seat (which was problably made of recycled stuff - that I could care less about) - This was a 5***** star experiance . Loved this cozy place . Thank you .

Room Tip: The send off was the topper , having breakfast at the buffet . Everything was top notch . All the fo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are always striving to excel in guest satisfaction and your kind words serve as evidence that our efforts are not going unnoticed. We are delighted to hear that our accommodations, amenities, and dining met your expectations, but more importantly, we are pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and serviceable. We would love to accommodate you if you ever find yourself in the Florham Park area, again. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

If you're searching for info about this hotel is simply because you want to stay in the area, probably for business (a lot of companies are settled nearby) or to be near Fairleigh University (is accross the street) or Drew University. If that's the case, this hotel is a great choice. It's nice, clean and not extremely expensive. Rooms are comfortable, well equipped and clean. It has a lot of meeting rooms for business purposes with good catering. Breakfast variety is not very exciting but you can have a nice custom made omelettes and food quality is great.
Two highlights that makes this hotel recommendable:
It has a shuttle bus that can take you to some of the companies nearby or to the train station (you can go from there directly to New York Penn Station in about an hour)
Vanderbilt Sport bar located inside the hotel is nice and has a happy hour every day. There you can see your favourite game having some good drinks or eating fast food.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, you may prefer one in the upper floors.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We travel a decent amount, so we're acquainted with the rigors of travel, like hauling around luggage, compromising on room availability, and waiting in line for practically everything. I was surprised, however, at the check-in line at the Hamilton Park on Saturday evening (12/3).

We arrived at about 4:30pm to check in and change for a wedding reception, scheduled to begin at 6pm. I'm pretty sure of the time because the sun was just setting. My husband dropped me at the door to check in while he and our sons (ages 17 & 6), parked the car. There was not a luggage rack to be seen, and no hotel staff (not a valet, bellhop, or even parking lot attendant to direct arrivals) at the front door, which seems a little odd for a place that seems to brand itself as being a bit more than, say, a Days Inn. There was, however, a very impressive line of guest waiting to check in.

Even though they had 3 people working the front desk, the queue stretched the full length of the lobby and then curved slightly to snake partway down a hallway. Honestly, I've seen shorter lines when chartered trips pull into Carribean resorts that must process a whole plane-load of people arriving at the same time. It was pitch dark outside and almost 5:30pm before we arrived at our room.

During my time in the lobby, I observed several reasons for the congestion that could be corrected by proper front-desk management or procedural tweeks:

First, almost every person in the line was toting bags with them (thus taking up way more space than necessary), a result of the lack of front-door management and cart availability. When large groups of people are arriving in a small window, like say, between the allowed check-in time and the start of a wedding reception, there should be parking lot attendants to direct them and enough porters/carts to gather arriving bags before they clog up the lobby. If you're trying to present a gracious image, porters should be available to guide the guests and their bags to their room for the first time. I know that I personally just love wandering around hotel hallways trying to find elevators and rooms with my bags and, sometimes, children in tow -- especially after waiting in a long line and, even better, when I have a special event to attend shortly.

Further, I watched three -- count them, three -- different people join the line ahead of me by "stopping to talk" to someone in the line. (Envision: "Hi, Bob, so glad that you could make it! How was the traffic in? You find the place OK? Yeah? Hey, how 'bout those Jets?....and soon, they're dragging their luggage along with them, as if they'd been there all along.) What exactly does the hotel expect the other guests to do about this?

I have plenty of courage to tell them to move it on back, but since the wedding reception involved my husband's coworker with many coworkers in attendance, I refrained from provoking a confrontation for lack of knowing who might be politically important in the workplace. Also, one of the line-cutters completely ignored an older lady who did point out the back of the line. Another half-heartedly tried to excuse himself, saying, "I'm sure that these other folks don't want me cutting in," and his friend encouraged him to stay, so they continued their small talk with their backs to our glaring eyes. More importantly, it's not really my responsibility to manage your lobby. If arriving guests could actually see the end of the line, perhaps they would have been less likely to try these passive-agressive cut-ins. If some kind of doorman or porter had greeted them, they could have been directed to the back of the line. Either way, minimizing the line will minimize this side effect.

Finally, the front-desk congestion could have been improved by delivering wedding guest favors to the guest's rooms. It was nice that a bride and groom left gifts for their arriving guests; very good form. However, handing them out at the front desk wasn't exactly brilliant -- for several reasons. Retreiving and explaining the gift bag took up additional time when you had dozens of people standing in line directly in front of a continual cold blast from the sliding doors. Additionally, it was yet another inconvenience to ask guests to tote yet another bag to their room when they didn't have a luggage cart for the bags they already had. It was also a bit gauche to dispense these gifts in front of guests arriving for the other 2 scheduled wedding receptions that evening -- those other guests hearing only, "Here's a gift left for you by the bride and groom," without receiving a bag themselves. Awkward. Better form would have been to hand-deliver those bags to the guests' rooms shortly after arrival (or carried by their porter), or if you must make them carry it themselves, leave them a message to pick up the gift at their convenience.

Admittedly, these are observations just from arriving in the lobby, but those first impressions almost always set the tone for a visit. Sure enough, when we arrived at our "adjoining" rooms, they were across the hall from each other, not adjoining. If you couldn't accommodate a request for adjoining rooms or even rooms right next to each other, tell me upfront. Don't let me find out that they are across the hall when I get to my floor.

The rooms themselves were beautifully appointed. The etiegerre in the bathroom was a very nice touch. A little better than the average Days Inn, but about the same as an average Hilton.

The TV reception was awful. The TV itself appeared to be new, but the digital feed was snowy on every channel. It looked this way in both rooms, but it could have a problem with a cable or sat signal. We were only there one night, so I can't tell you if it always looks this way.

The wedding reception was wonderful. The room itself was somewhat generic, but the catering was very good. If receptions are required to use Hamilton Park's own staff, then they get a gold star. If the bride and groom hired their own caterer, I'll keep them in mind for future events. My water glass was never empty, my cocktail was refilled without even my noticing, and my plates were removed practically the moment I laid down my flatware. The food was delicious and served at the right temperature for the different courses. Nice job. I made a special effort to tip our table's waiter for his exceptional attention even though I know that tipping is normally done through the group.

The single biggest thing that Hamilton Park could do to improve my stay is to invest in some kind of humidification system. I might have forgotten the long wait in the lobby if I had a good nights's rest. Instead, my husband and I both found it difficult to sleep because the air was so dry. We both got up during the night to get water, our eyes were scratchy and dry, and my sinuses were not happy at all by the morning.

At first, I thought that maybe the dryness was the result of cocktails at the reception, but I didn't really think either of us drank that much (being around my husband's coworkers and boss). At breakfast, I learned that my kids had the same complaint of uncomfortably dry air. My teenage son (who babysat his little brother in the room while we attended the reception downstairs) complained about the dry air in his room giving him a nosebleed that woke him before the alarm went off in the morning. It's telling when a teenager asks you why the air in a hotel is so dry, especially when the same teenager, who complains about life in general, commented that he (surprisingly) had a good night's sleep at the hotel in New York City the night before.

If you read my other reviews, you'll see that I don't complain about my travels much. Most minor inconveniences, like crowds and delays, are just part of the trip. And honestly, I didn't pay a lot to stay at the Hamilton Park, so my comfort was about equal to the cost (that's not exactly a compliment). I'm a little harder on this review because I think that most of the unpleasant things (the hour-long check-in line, the dry air) are things that could be prevented with better management, and that bugs me, regardless of the pricetag or some pretty furniture.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We stay here a lot for business but after this last visit, I decided to write a review. I debated on what to rate it overall but in the end, decided to just say "average."

The hotel does look nice and modern but keep in mind, it is an older hotel than it appears. In previous stays, we've had problems with water fixtures/plumbing struggles, etc. The walls are also pretty thin and this last time, I could hear the person in the next room when he talked (or had conference calls) and when he coughed through the night, and this "thin wall experience" wasn't the first. The housekeeping services are a little off the mark - some days I had towels, some days I didn't - and for a hotel with this "nice, modern image," it seems a little strange.

They happened to be oversold this time so they ran out of king and queen bed rooms, so I (as were several of my colleagues) were put in a full-sized bed in a handicapped room. While I am VERY grateful that hotels accommodate people with physical limitations, these rooms can be a bit challenging for people who do NOT have limitations - such as low hanging closets where I couldn't hang my suits/dresses; standing showers rather than tubs so water ended up outside the shower areas; etc. I share this story regarding the room because this is primarily a business hotel and the room itself, for those reasons above, wasn't very conducive to business travelers (who don't have physical limitations). Because of the room set up - smaller room, full-sized bed rather than queen or king, etc. - it also seemed a bit weird that the price wasn't at least somewhat reduced.

There were times when the staff was friendly so that was appreciated. The staff and the shuttle service were helpful in getting us business travelers around to some local areas for food so that was really nice.

Overall, keep in mind that this is primarily a business hotel, either by design, chance, location, or whatever else. I would not choose this hotel for a romantic getaway or family trip, especially because the restaurant can get really loud from loud business people and can be disruptive. (My room this time was a few doors down from the restaurant and the noise traveled even around midnight.) But, overall, the staff is nice and it's a nice hotel.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan B
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I had to stay here for business and wasn't expecting much, but it was really pleasant. The room was spacious enough and clean, bathroom was nice. We spent some time in the bar and that was good.
Only problems were with food - got in late and there was no food available after 11:00. Wanted a quick breakfast and not the huge buffet. Also called room service and got message they were closed, they worked it out when I called the front desk but then I received about 3 more phone calls checking up while I was trying to get work done so that was a little irritating.

Room Tip: Was very quiet - even close to elevator
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills

Been to Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!