“Freshest sushi in NJ”

Dining options: Reservations
Orange County, California
“Freshest sushi in NJ”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I travel often and eat sushi at least two times a week. I make it a point to seek out the "best" sushi restaurants everywhere in the world, which includes "hole in the wall" places to five star sushi establishments. Given I travel over a 100k miles a year I try a lot of sushi.

I have to say that Kyoto has some of the freshest sushi I have ever eaten. They have quite a large selection of rolls and the quality of the fish is some of the best I have come across anywhere. I work in the area and have introduced many of my colleagues to Kyoto - I have yet to find someone that I have recommended this place to come back disappointed.

Don't be fooled by the somewhat bland decor and the hibachi setup. Walk right past the hibachi tables (which is decent food) and get a table near the sushi bar or the back and ask for the "special menu" which is a book of over 100 unique rolls. The regular menu has some of their more popular mainstream rolls, but if you really want to try some unique items, go for the full book of rolls.

My only complaint is that the servers, while they are fast and attentive, they lack warmth and personality. When it comes to sushi restaurants, I am all about the fish and the presentation, so I give Kyoto a break on the service. "A" for sushi, "C" for decor and "B-" for service.

If you want great sushi and the some of the freshest fish in NJ, you won't be disappointed, but don't have high expectations for the decor and personality of the place.

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
nyc
“Awful”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stopped for dinner , ordered the Kyoto Roll I thought it was their Signature Roll . They. Used the work Yani I had no idea it meant artificial crab meat disgusting!
The tea tasted like it had salt in it and the service was terrible

Madison, New Jersey
“OK...”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Kyoto is located in the Trader Joe's / McDonalds strip mall in Florham Park. On a Satruday night at 5:30 PM we had hoped to get a seat next door at Nonnas (which is an excellent Italian place BTW) but due to the long line at Nonnas we went to Kyoto. Yes it is BYOB. The overall experience is just ok.

The Hibatchi was ok... the cook did a very nice volcano and train. He attempted to pop food into our mouthes but wasn't very successful. He also did not offer sake to the adults. We watched other tables where sake was offered to adults via a squirt bottle. He did not throw things into his hat, or even tell an unending series of bad jokes...

Food was also ok. We ordered the chicken and steak. The food was not as flavorful as I've had at other Hibatchi locations and a bit oily. The fried rice was excellent.

There were MANY birthday parties at the restaurant. We went on a Saturday night at 5:30 PM and by 6 almost all the seats were taken.

If you go, I suggest reservations.

• Visited January 2012
“BYOB Hibachi”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We went here on a Saturday night at about 7:15. I had read in other reviews that we should expect a long wait, but our party of 4 was seated pretty much right away.

The food was good ( we went with Hibachi ) and the chef was entertaining. BYOB makes it more affordable.
Birthday and kid friendly.

• Visited June 2011
New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“chefs are friendly but manager/hosts/waitresses are rude and SERVICE IS LOUSY, food is mediocre”
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Food is good, but nothing particularly special. I ordered sushi and hibachi chicken. Sushi was pretty good, hibachi noodles are delicious. The fried rice is not included, it tastes OKAY--have had better. The hibachi chicken was a little overcooked. Chefs are friendly and entertaining. HOWEVER, the manager was extremely rude. I went with a group of friends and after we received the bill, we put in the cash, and HANDED it to the waitresses. They immediately laid out the cash on the table and started counting to see if it was all there. EXTREMELY RUDE. Since I'm Chinese and can understand the language they were speaking, I continuously heard the manager turning to the waitress and asking in Chinese, "IS IT ALL THERE? IS ALL THE MONEY THERE?" It wasn't only embarrassing for them, but embarrassing for me and my friends as well! They manager was rushing towards our table acting out for everyone in the restaurant as if we did not pay. 2 waitresses and the manager managed to count it three times by the time we put on our jacket and reached the door. Not to mention, they never refilled our water when we needed it; to the extent where one of us reached over to another table to grab the pitcher of water and refill our glasses ourselves. I would not recommend going here. I'd rather travel to maybe Millburn or another town to go to a better place (Benihana in Millburn?)
We also reserved a table, and it took about an hour for us to be seated