“Pretty good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 50 Restaurants in Forked River
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Diner, Greek
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012 via mobile

Nothing really special here, but their food is really good though they lack variety. Prices are very cheap though so that's good.

Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey, United States
“ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Not very appealing as a diner. Food is just OK nothing special here. Average

Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Homestyle appeal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Fathers day, very busy. Polite staff and energetic owners. Had chipped beef over toast. Excellent. Nice job.

New Jersey
“Awful Experience, average food, horrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I read the great reviews and thought I had found a hidden gem I had missed all these years. My guest and I went in a little after 4PM on a Thursday. We waited by the register for a few minutes before someone said to seat ourselves.

We then waited several minutes to get a menu, a few more minutes to get a sheet with the specials on it. This is a small place maybe 20 tables at the most and only a handful of tables had people at them. We were also near the front of the diner so the staff had to walk by our table all the time.

After 10 minutes or so of waiting for menus etc. it took another 5-10 minutes to place our drink order and then it was easily 15-20 minutes before we placed our dinner order.(and not because we weren't ready to order and didn't have the menus down)

The food came out in a reasonable amount of time and was your average diner food. The portions were what you would expect, no more and no less. We tried to catch the eye of our waitress who walked by us many times to get a refill on our drinks. It never happened.

I finished and waited for someone to clear my plates, I started to pile the plates after 10-15 minutes and after that I moved them to the other side of the table to make them even more visible. After another 5-10 minutes I started to think about just clearing my own dishes since I could see the dish bin from where I was sitting.

Finally our waitress comes over and we ask for a box. My companions meal came with dessert which he got to go so that we could try and get out of there without another 45 minutes going by. At this point I am fed up and wait at the register where I tell the cashier I am waiting for my check thinking this will speed things up.

It still took another 10 minutes or longer to get my check. I cannot stress enough what a small place this is. You can see the entire restaurant from pretty much anywhere so it's not like you are in a forgotten corner.
Plus there were two waitresses a cashier and some other woman who I'm not sure what her job was, although she is the one who eventually cleared my plate.

The diner was not full, it's not like they were being slammed with a dinner rush or anything. When I got in the car I saw we had been in there almost two hours!! TWO HOURS, I still can't believe it.

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Forked River, New Jersey
“Great For Breakfast and Reasonably Priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The Colonial Diner has a quaint down home atmosphere and is meticulously clean. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. I particularly enjoy their breakfast /brunch menu. Management seems to take pride in their establishment and they go the extra mile to please their customers. A refreshing change of pace from the big chain restaurants.

• Visited January 2012