“Wedding was amazing”
Review of American Hotel

American Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Freehold B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I recently had my wedding here. Jim the maitr'd (sp?) was phenominal. Everyone raved about the cocktail hour. Warning that the filet mignon meal was overcooked. Would suggest another meat OR make sure you address this beforehand.

I wouldn't recommend sleeping at the hotel though on a Saturday night. I stayed the night before my wedding and the bridal suite was right above the lobby and the restaurant. Music was BLASTING and the bass was shaking our room until 2am (when I was told it would be finished at midnight). Not to be a party pooper, but I needed my rest the day before my wedding and this did NOT help.

Room Tip: Not ideal to be on 2nd floor on a saturday night. 3rd floor in the back is probably the quietest.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on a Saturday night for a wedding. The rooms are very nice...they are modern and very clean. The location is great--right in the middle of downtown Freehold, NJ. The hotel is small and has thin walls (I am assuming because it is an older hotel). The hotel was very crowded when we stayed...they had booked at least 2 other events in addition to the wedding that I was attending and there is 1 main bathroom off the lobby area. Due to the amount of events there was constantly a line to get into the bathroom. There was a restaurant at the hotel that was playing loud music (presumably for one of the events) and it kept going until 1:30 am. I was on the 3rd floor and could hear the music very clearly and feel it shaking the walls. Once the music stopped and I finally started to fall asleep, people came upstairs and were talking obnoxiously loud in the hallway. The walls were so thin and you just could hear everything. I did not sleep at all!! The continental breakfast was very lame. I would recommend this hotel to people that are just looking for a modern, nice room to stay in, but that do not care about sleeping (or, I would ask if there are events going on before booking).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nikki R
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I recently stayed at The American Hotel and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome. I didn't expect much due to the price of the hotel, but I was so happy to see that our room was immaculate and the bathroom was very nice too. I loved the decor of the room. It was so nice to have the extra special touches like two robes in the closet for us to use. The women at the front desk were a delight and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The continental breakfast wasn't great, but for that price, it didn't matter. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would suggest recommending a room on the third floor as they do have entertainment on Saturday eve...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2012

A pleasant surprise in the middle of freehold the only thing I did not like was no valet parking and surrounding area was a bit seedy

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is an Old hotel -old as in Abraham Lincoln stayed here in 1861.
It has been refurbished and is in pretty good shape. Right on theron drag in Freehold so ask for a room in the back of the hotel to reduce noise.
On site restaurant was busy but didn't eat here.
Continental breakfast in the morning was smal but adequate. Plate of fruit, muffins cold cereal, juice.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 9 August 2012

In the Freehold area you will do yourself a disservive if you do not stay here. It is newly redone. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and comfortable. The hotel itself is located in the center of town. The hotel bars are a hub of friendly activity, and tastefully appointed. The management will do everything in its power to help make your stay an enjoyable one. They do have a spa, but we did not utilize it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband & I had our wedding reception in the original American hotel in 1974. It was top rate then, and on our 38th anniversary, we were delighted to be able to have a celebratory dinner there, considering that it had nearly been demolished several years ago. We were suitably impressed in January at our anniversary dinner, when the owner(presumably) stopped at each table to ask how everything was. He graciously gave us complimentary wine when we explained our nostalgic dinner. Everything was perfect, the food superior, the service fine: all in all a relaxing, satisfying experience. We looked forward to returning.
In July, we decided to come with our family to celebrate all our summer birthdays. The server was very attentive and cordial. The food was still top notch, albeit pricey. However, sadly, we may not be so anxious to repeat the experience. One major change from our first visit makes it unlikely. Ambience. Not only were we seated one table over from a family with six young, unmanageable children,( which cannot be blamed entirely on the restaurant) but the rowdy drunks at the bar made the entire dinner extremely unpleasant. As time went on, they grew louder & louder. Between the two, the decibel level was off the charts. My whole dinner was spoiled. I believe that the establishment attracts boisterous families because they expect a lot of noise, and feel at home. Unfortunately, that makes for lousy atmosphere and bad business. If you must have a bar that seems to encourage rowdy behavior, isolate it from a those who appreciate a quiet, relaxing, dignified dining experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank epi_curious48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freehold
Radisson Hotel Freehold
Courtyard Wall at Monmouth Shores Corporate Park
10 mi away
Hampton Inn Neptune/Wall
Colts Neck Inn Hotel
Colts Neck Inn Hotel
#1 of 2 in Colts Neck
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Long Branch
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#1 of 3 in West Long Branch

Been to American Hotel? Share your experiences!