“Clean and excellent service”
Review of American Hotel

American Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Freehold B&B and Inns
Freehold
“Clean and excellent service”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Location

The American Hotel is located in the busiest area of Freehold. As such, there are restaurants and shops galore within walking distance, and the bus center is two blocks away. The Hotel itself is both a hotel and a restaurant, too. Since the area is the center of town, live concerts and parties often occur both outside and in the hotel's restaurant, which can become quite noisy and last past midnight. But I didn't mind that.

Noise

The noise level in the rooms themselves really varies depending on location. This I have concluded from my limited observations of the hotel's layout and the extremely varied descriptions of noise levels in other reviews of this hotel, all the way from 'no noise' to 'can't sleep'. I would say the rooms in the hallway going straight from the stairs get the most noise, while the other hallways bend and reduce the noise further. Either way, I'm used to staying up late anyway.

I didn't really call for service during my stay. But the housekeeping is remarkable. It's obvious they put in a lot of fine detail work, like the way the bed is made. My eye is not too keen for these details though, but I commend the housekeepsrs, who I unfortunately did not get to meet during my stay.

Cleanliness

The room looked very clean to me. Mattress is very soft, and sheets are very clean. Nothing in the room actually appears dirty. Of course I didn't examine everything in close detail, but I don't think there is any reason to.

Room

The air conditioner can be controlled manually. Due to the proximity of the sea, the room tends to get a bit humid, and the conditioner only makes it worse for some reason. The windows were tricky to open, but that's good news if kids are staying in the room. There are no window screens, but there are also no bugs to worry about (I left the windows open the first day, no bugs). The refrigerator was good but noisy and sounded like it was old, although I suspect they took care of it without my mentioning it, as later in the week it ceased to be noisy. The bathroom has a walk in shower and the shower head is not detachable. My room was completely carpeted outside the bathroom, but I have seen reviews with pictures of rooms with dry wood floors. The phones usually have the correct time but the digital clock did not when I arrived. There is also no clock in the lobby, which looks amazing so I'm not complaining.

The pros certainly outweigh the cons. I have no real complaints.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you have no problem with music echoing throughout the whole hotel, until 1:30 or 2:00 am, and dragging your luggage, across a huge parking lot, after an hour of waiting and trying to finding one and then, dodging cars trying to find a parking spot, then this is the place for you!
This building should have been a restaurant bar only or a hotel only not both. There is NO insulting in the rooms so you hear EVERYTHING, so no matter how tired you are, you cannot go to sleep until the band down stairs has stop. The parking lot out back is shared with ALL the another business, (about 6), so there is never any parking. And to have to drag your luggage from afar, (like Disney’s parking lot), is so barbaric and unprofessional for the hotel business, and when we initially asked about where the hotels parking was, they explained, and we proceeded to advise that there is no parking, they very unfazed said well its happy hour and Friday night, but later on after 8 you should be able to get a spot; it was 6:00 pm when we asked.
And I will not even mention how overpriced the rooms were, and the shoddy re-modeling and the threat of charging your credit card $250.00 dollars if they find any evidence of someone smoking in the room, labeled under the thermostat; I will let you find out yourself.
Please research this Hotel before booking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kim S
New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My boyfriend’s son had a lacrosse tournament on Saturday morning at 7:00 AM. We would have had to leave our house at 5:30 to make it there, so we thought, let find a place close to where we needed to be. I went to hotels.com and found this lovely hotel. The price was awesome, so I booked the room. When we arrived around 7:00 PM, there was some event for high school students going on and it was pretty loud. On check in, I was told we were upgraded to a suite. We had brought an air mattress for my boyfriend’s son because they do not have roll always, but we didn't need it because the suite had a sofa bed. The room was clean and quite large. We needed some extra pillows and they were brought up to us promptly. We were told there was going to be music later on, but we didn't hear a thing. I would like to come back here with just me and my boyfriend as it looks like a cute town for a couple to get away to.

Room Tip: Corner suite was nice and roomy...room 302 I believe.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a renovated historic hotel. What a great job they did! The room is large and so is the bathroom with a very nice large walk in shower. This is a boutique hotel that is clean and well decorated. The staff is friendly. It is located in the center of town surrounded by restaurants. I was pleased with my stay and wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms at the rear are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Colts Neck NJ
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Not able to get into our favorite brunch place we tried the American Hotel. The staff is the best part of the experience ...the food and offerings were average and expected with desserts way below expectations. The carving station meats were well prepared...the breakfast offerings were good...but there were no standouts among any selections. The atmosphere was a little overwhelming as they use all of their event rooms to house the guests and serve the food from one big room...we were lucky to sit in that room so our walk to the buffet was not far. The price was another issue as it is at least $6 over what we usually pay and that's for much better food and atmosphere.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel so cannot comment on rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 May 2014

There weren't many hotels in the area, especially in this immediate area. Great location to walk around. Free parking, tons of restuarants. We lucked out and got into the "Bridal Suite" or something of the sort - beautiful room - sunken tub - bed was huge and very comfortable. Love the IPOD station and the windows that opened out onto the private deck outside.

I wasn't happy with the room I had actually reserved, because it looked nothing like what was displayed on-line, but it is a very small hotel, so I can see that they would advertise their best to get you in. They ended up giving us this room that was located over the bar and the band - but it didn't bother us because we were out anyway.

Restaurants next store had great food and the entire place had a really nice ambience. I'd stay there again if I ever found the need.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front face the front road and room in the bad face the parking log. I believe this plac...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
SOUTHAMPTON
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Now this is what hotels should aspire to be. Clean, friendly, competitive, decent size rooms and showers, lively bar scene, terrific staff and very accommodating.

The room was really nice, not a great view but surroundings it is what it is. The room was spacious, huge bed, lovely bathroom, great shower, all very nicely decorated. The rooms were kept exceptionally clean and tidy, everything replaced properly each day (I know this sounds basic but I've stayed in zillions of varying quality hotels around the world and frustrating often find soaps not replaced, coffee etc... Just basic things that should be a given). This hotel has now become my regular base when doing business in New Jersey. The owner Steve was a really nice guy and took time to chat and engaged with his clientele... All of whom were of a nice quality also. Stay there... It's terrific.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freehold
Radisson Hotel Freehold
#1 of 5 in East Windsor
Holiday Inn East Windsor - Cranbury Area
Courtyard Cranbury South Brunswick
Courtyard Wall at Monmouth Shores Corporate Park

Been to American Hotel? Share your experiences!