“ACCIDENTAL DISCOVERY”
Review of The National Hotel

The National Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Frenchtown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014

MapQuest took me through Frenchtown about a year ago, while driving elsewhere. I liked it so much that I went back to explore and have already eaten at a couple of places. Yesterday, I stopped in at the National Hotel for lunch with two friends. The waiter/bartender was very personable and made us quite at home at a table in the bar area. He, my friends, the ambiance, and the food were a perfect combination for a very enjoyable meal. My friends were not very adventurous so had only a burger and sandwich (both, excellent!), but I had the catfish which was out-of-this-world, as were the side dishes that accompanied it. I'm already looking at my schedule for next week when I plan to head back to try something else from the menu that included lots of great choices. I can't wait to get back!!!

Room Tip: We were not overnight guests at the hotel. Just stopped in for a delightful luncheon with old friend...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

It's always so nice to get feedback from our guests--and considering that you found us by accident & are already making plans to return, makes it even sweeter! Thank you so much for making the time to share your experience with others. We do hope that you'll make Frenchtown a frequent get-away for you and your friends, and that we continue to see you at The National Hotel. Thank you again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

A nice place to stay if you want to go out onto the river but don't want to sleep in a tent. I love how they have a quaint restaurant downstairs so I don't have to leave the hotel to grab a bite to eat before I hit the sack. The town surrounding is nice and the river rental place is right up the road. I like to pack light so this was a perfect fit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matt F

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Frenchtown truly has something for everyone, from outdoor activities, to quaint and unique shops, to wonderful sights, and more. Thank you for your review and we do hope you'll come back again.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here in July 2014 while visiting family in the nearby area. Didn't know what to expect, as the place was in shambles and foreclosure in 2008. Was pleasantly surprised that the place, although it still needs work, is as pleasant as it was. Marlon was so accommodating and friendly, and personally showed us around the very historic hotel. He gave us a run-down on the history and of the continued improvements they are making. Our room was on the third floor, and we could come in the front way or the back way (closer to the parking lot) The front was beautiful (love the original flooring in the lobby!) and the back stairs...well lets clean that up a little and make it more visually appealing. Our room was very updated and nicely decorated. Same with the bathroom-no problems with water pressure or anything like I feared there might be. The windows looked original which in my opinion is wonderful. They looked out over the bridge and it was very pretty. We didn't eat there but did watch a really great band play in the downstairs pub. That was lots of fun. Also had wine on the front porch with a lot of other people. It was a friendly atmosphere! I would stay again if I know that improvements continue to be made. Please keep up the work...that place needs the TLC to continue and you've done so much already.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you so very much for your thoughtful review & kind words. We are so appreciative of your feedback & are so pleased that you enjoyed your overnight stay--as well as having wine on our porch & our cellar pub, The Rathskeller. You are so right about the "friendly atmosphere!" which we owe to our caring & attentive staff, in addition to our other patrons who always welcome new guests into our establishment, making them feel like old friends. Thank you again, & rest assured that we will continue to make new improvements & take good care of this historic establishment in our lovely little town by the Delaware River. In fact, we just finished painting the exterior (including the back by the parking lot & back stairs). Frenchtown is a special place & we're glad you were able to enjoy the town! We look forward to seeing you again, & thank you once more for your feedback.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The National Hotel in Frenchtown is, for us, an oasis in a desert. Imagine a 175 mile drive as the desert and Frenchtown and the National as the oasis. We are a senior couple somewhat immobile that visit our Frenchtown based son as often as we can physically and financially. He cannot drive to our home in Southern Delaware.
The oasis treatment begins with Marlon's (hotel manager) greeting and assuming responsibility for our overall care... he takes care of us as an old fashioned concierge and innkeeper would do in times past.
Marlon's personal touch is sincerely emulated by the wait staff and bar staff. They are attentive and quick to respond to any individual needs in the restaurant. Drink and food service is highest quality...the best straight up martini any where. Rooms are comfortable with all necessities available including firm mattresses and efficient seasonal ventilation.
We have at least one meal at the hotel and enjoy their continental breakfast served on the weekend. The pastry is fresh, warm and home made. Coffee is delicious and reminds me of Paris breakfasts we enjoyed years ago. Enjoy the National and walk the few streets of this little town full of up scale shops including antiques. A great experience in a short time!

Room Tip: Make a reservation a week in advance. It is a small hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank stanley G
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

You have captured the essence of The National Hotel, w/Marlon & our staff always doing their very best to provide a comfortable & memorable experience for our guests. Thank you for all of your kind words, compliments, & feedback. We will certainly make sure that our staff receives your high praise, & we will continue to work towards ensuring that our level of excellence in delivering service, continues long into the future. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon. I hate when reviews aren't detailed, so I will be. We stayed in the King Suite Saturday-Tuesday (so I will speak to our experience for that specific room/time) We checked in Saturday, and the room was on the 3rd floor. there is no elevator so you will have to walk the steps. There are indoor and outdoor steps. The outdoor stepa are less than visually appealing with garbage, mops, brooms, etc (but they are the closest to the parking area so we used those most often) We went to the hotel restaurant that night. The food is pretentious (not my cup of tea). We had lots of other food choices in the area so we didn't return to the restaurant. Sunday was the only morning breakfast was served during our stay (it wasn't that hot, but it was good)...might want to consider making that a daily experience. Monday the hotel is closed (they made us aware of that before we came) but we were still staying there and a maid did come and give us fresh towels and whatnot. The furnishings in the room were nice, and on the whole it was clean. Monday night when we were getting ready for bed, there were two large spiders that were crawling around on the ceiling, we had to get a stick from outside to reach the high ceiling. they appeared to have a hefty web system up there, so a good dusting of the ceilings once in a while might be a good idea. The jacuzzi tub was clean, and nice. The shower is awkward and is basically a curtain around a portion of the jacuzzi. There is no mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot or iron (we brought our own iron (our clothes don't make it unwrinkled in luggage--don't know about you) so if you stay here you would need to plan accordingly. Ice can be picked up downstairs. It was pretty quiet (which we were looking for). Most of our time was spent in the local towns, shops, etc, but the time in the hotel was overall nice, but I think there are certainly some things that could be done to improve the customer experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth N
thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your review! We truly appreciate the time you took to write this & all the details that you included. As a historic, boutique hotel, we pride ourselves on the work that has gone into restoring the establishment, as well as the exotic flair & sophistication of the guest suites, which would be compromised by adding a microwave or mini-fridge into the room environment. As far as ironing your clothes, we are surprised that you didn't avail yourself to one of the irons that Housekeeping keeps for our overnight guests. Although they are not in the rooms, irons & ironing tables are readily available. Our apologies if there was some miscommunication regarding this. We also want to let you know that we have shared all of your concerns with our Housekeeping staff, & we will continue to be vigilant about our procedures. We went through our log books and the room you stayed at had been booked immediately before and immediately after your stay, all with glowing reports from our other guests. In addition, our GM made notes in his own log book as well--as is our procedure--which has been very useful in responding to your review, as we have the dates and times that he checked-in with you to make sure that the room was satisfactory and what you expected. It is always our goal to address any issues as they come up, & we are truly saddened that we didn’t have the opportunity to do so during your stay, only learning of your concerns today through your review. We are very happy to hear, though, that you enjoyed Frenchtown & the many great restaurants in town to complement your stay. And, we thank you for choosing The National Hotel for this important time in your life—as well as for making the time to submit a review to TripAdvisor. We do hope that you will return & allow us to make your next stay absolutely to your liking. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and sister-in-law accompanied me to this charming hotel this weekend as we celebrated my sis-in-law's birthday. Let me begin by saying if you're looking for a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton"esque" feel for your rooms, then my best advice would be to not stay here but spend the $500 or so per night at one of those beautiful hotels. But if you want to spend one-third the price and get the feel for the beautiful and charming town in which it resides, then you may want to give this hotel a visit. Yes, we did have a little trouble working the curtains in our rooms, but the rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, and the bathrooms and showers functioned well. That's all we were really concerned about for our money, since we wanted to enjoy ourselves around town, not around our hotel room. Marlon (who runs the hotel) was a pleasure to meet as he gave us great tips on the whereabouts of the town and even told us the story of Elizabeth, the friendly ghost in the hotel. Chris, who we met during our continental breakfast the following morning, was also extremely friendly and a person we were happy to meet. My wife and I have dined in the restaurant of this hotel in the past and it has always been very good, but for this visit we had lunch and dinner reservations elsewhere (lunch at the Black Bass Hotel in Lumberville, PA and dinner at the Frenchtown Inn right here in town) so I cannot comment on the food for this visit. What capped off our weekend and made it so very special was the "surprising" time we had in the Rathskeller Pub in this hotel, a small bar and lounge room buried in the basement of this hotel. It was still fairly early after dinner (9:30 pm) so we decided to stop down there for a quick night cap before heading up to our rooms. Mike Pfeiffer and the Ramblers were playing on this specific evening. Well, let me just say that this quick nightcap turned into a four-hour blast! I'm 56 years old and this basement pub took me back 35 years! The three of us loved it and were only too happy to just walk up four flights of stairs to our third-floor rooms after the band closed down for the evening. A very, very special weekend for all of us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tom E
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I booked a room for Valenties Day weekend for my lovely wife and I. The people who work here are very pleasant and accomodating. And the building it self is charming. I found the price to be a bit high considering the accomodations, but it was a Valentines day weekend so I guess that is to be expected. The room was charming but could use a bit of an update. Notging major, mind you, just some freash pillows and bed linnens that don't look like they've been around as long as the building has. The Ensuite bathroom was lovely with a great big tub but as it is located so far from the heater is was almost too cold in there to enjoy it. Not sure how to remedy that but it could use some attention. All in all however, as I said the folks that worked there were so friendly that these minor issues were happily overlooked for what was a very enjoyable overnight getaway.

The restaurant was lovely. a delicious meal had by both and those prices where a bit more reasonable. The only other thing I would say is that their web sight had advertised live entertainment in the downstairs bar which my wife and I were looking forward to but no such entertainment occured.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frenchtown
Hampton Inn Clinton
#1 of 1 in Upper Black Eddy
Woolverton Inn
Woolverton Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockton

Been to The National Hotel? Share your experiences!