“Not quite there yet - has lots of potential.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NJ 12
Transit: The Link Bus (local Hunterdon County transit service), Transbridge Bus Lines (PA, NJ & NYC commuter service).
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Not quite there yet - has lots of potential.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Out on another motorcycle tour with my husband. We love to venture west towards the Delaware Water Gap where there are numerous small towns on NJ side that are connected to PA by cute waling/driving bridges and quaint towns.

Ended up in Frenchtown late afternoon. Strolled around a bit and landed at this old Hotel. It has the makings of a charming place but they seemed to have missed their mark slightly . The decor is is a mixture of old world charm, some modern and some on the cheap.

The menu had a great variety of items to choose from - price range of $10 -$25. Which I thought was reasonable. The waitress and other hotel people were very friendly and welcoming. Nice size bar with three cute round tables for dining at, also a larger dining room and a front porch for dining or just to have drinks.

Now to the food - Beer on tap was yummy. I ordered the steak sandwich with caramelized onions, sauteed spinach and a horseradish sauce on a roll while my husband ordered the sausage platter that came with two types of sausage on aroll with two different toppings. Both entrees came with home made french fries. I enjoyed mine while my husband (King of Sausage) was not impressed by his. Kind of blah. However the french fries reminded me of the ones I ate in Paris-to some degree. Really good!!!

Our bill total was $35 - two entrees, one beer and one ice tea.

Back on the road again to the next adventure!!!

• Visited July 2014

Philadelphia
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I ordered their turkey "Panini". Although it does say it's on whole grain bread, it was on thin sandwich bread. My first bite was a fatty piece of skin which I couldn't even bite through. I they had to use a knife and fork to eat my turkey "sandwich". These things happen but it also happened when we ate here during the winter. The atmosphere was nice, the staff was nice but we will not return. On a positive note, I hear their Mac & Cheese is very good.

Visited July 2014
“Cozy stop on the way to the poconos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My BF and I stopped for an impromptu cocktail and snack and weren't disappointed. The atmosphere at the bar was chill, surrounded by dark wood and cozy lighting. The staff were welcoming and knowledgeable. Seven good draughts available, and a great house Chardonnay. Unlike many local spots, the national hotel had no big screen TVs and blaring music to distract us from enjoying the atmosphere. We ordered a sausage sandwich sampler which was very tasty. The dish was accompanied by some of the best French fries we'd ever had. Would definitely return.

thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback! What a wonderful review--& we are so pleased that you chose The National Hotel for your meal/drinks. We will share all of your comments w/our staff, b/c so much of what you wrote is a reflection of their hard work. Thank you again & we look forward to welcoming you back to The National Hotel.
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Found It! Good Food and Bar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We are always searching for a spot that is casual, has good food and bar....found it!! On a recent Saturday evening, we had a causal dinner in the tavern consisting of burgers and sandwiches Our server was courteous and prompt. Loved the bar scene as it had a great mix of people having a good night out. Frenchtown is a cool town and the National adds to the scene.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Layla524
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Not as good as I've known it to be ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

A friend and I stopped for dinner around 6pm on Wednesday, February 12th. There was only one other group dining and one couple at the bar, but service was s l o w. Our waitress said she was new and that's ok we all have to start somewhere, but it was obvious to us she had not been trained/briefed as to the menu and basic server-type skills. We each ordered a cup of tea. She brought out two cups of hot water and two teabags along with ONE individual-sized pot of extra water. I asked for another individual pot (as there were two of us) and she was confused not knowing it was an individual pot. Many minutes later another pot appeared. I asked a couple of questions about the menu and she was vague with her responses. We both ordered the butternut squash and apple soup. Huge portions, but it was so thin it was, truly, just bullion and should have been in a cup to make 'drinking' it easier. I ordered the sweet potato stuffed gnocchi and ravioli with sautéed arugula. Tons of gnocchi, very little arugula, which was a shame b/c it was delicious and zero ravioli. Confusing. My friend had a cheeseburger, which was supposed to be well done, but was, in fact, medium. It did, however, have great flavor. Dessert: Boston cheesecake was decent. The gluten-free nut cake was very dry, but maybe that's just how gluten-free cake tastes. I needed lots of water to get it down! Not a great meal. Very slow, but friendly service. Not the warm and cozy I remembered from other times being there. And, although the owner is pleasant, I wish he'd stop standing at the front of the room surveying the patrons. It's a bit off-putting. He was bored and didn't know what to do, but find something away from the tables! I might go back for lunch, which has been good, but not for dinner. Oh, and the entrée prices are a bit high, for sure.

• Visited February 2014