“Food Was Dreadful”

Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NJ 12
Transit: The Link Bus (local Hunterdon County transit service), Transbridge Bus Lines (PA, NJ & NYC commuter service).
Milford, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food Was Dreadful”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I visited recently and we ordered the pork belly sandwich which was full of fat and cold in the middle. The steak sandwich was no better and full of grizzle.
Bartender had a large tatoo across her chest that she seemed to like to show off. she also had a black eye. Not sure why management allows this.
Nice hotel could be better managed though.

thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Your feedback is very much appreciated, even though surprising given that we have strict quality control measures in place & the 2 items you list on your review are 2 of our most popular & highly ordered menu choices. Nevertheless, we will look into this. As far as your feedback on our staff, OUR BARTENDER HAD RECENTLY BEEN IN A CAR ACCIDENT, & we are all very grateful that she walked away from what could have been a death trap, w/just some minor injuries & a black eye. She is so dedicated to our patrons, that she didn't miss a beat & made sure to come in to work the next day to fulfill her responsibilities. We are overjoyed that she is OK.

Bucks County, Pennsylvania
“You wont be dissappointed”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have eaten here for both lunch and dinner. Nice atmosphere, eclectic menu , very trendy chef ! Always enjoy our meal here.

Visited July 2014
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Not quite there yet - has lots of potential.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Out on another motorcycle tour with my husband. We love to venture west towards the Delaware Water Gap where there are numerous small towns on NJ side that are connected to PA by cute waling/driving bridges and quaint towns.

Ended up in Frenchtown late afternoon. Strolled around a bit and landed at this old Hotel. It has the makings of a charming place but they seemed to have missed their mark slightly . The decor is is a mixture of old world charm, some modern and some on the cheap.

The menu had a great variety of items to choose from - price range of $10 -$25. Which I thought was reasonable. The waitress and other hotel people were very friendly and welcoming. Nice size bar with three cute round tables for dining at, also a larger dining room and a front porch for dining or just to have drinks.

Now to the food - Beer on tap was yummy. I ordered the steak sandwich with caramelized onions, sauteed spinach and a horseradish sauce on a roll while my husband ordered the sausage platter that came with two types of sausage on aroll with two different toppings. Both entrees came with home made french fries. I enjoyed mine while my husband (King of Sausage) was not impressed by his. Kind of blah. However the french fries reminded me of the ones I ate in Paris-to some degree. Really good!!!

Our bill total was $35 - two entrees, one beer and one ice tea.

Back on the road again to the next adventure!!!

• Visited July 2014
Philadelphia
“Just OK”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I ordered their turkey "Panini". Although it does say it's on whole grain bread, it was on thin sandwich bread. My first bite was a fatty piece of skin which I couldn't even bite through. I they had to use a knife and fork to eat my turkey "sandwich". These things happen but it also happened when we ate here during the winter. The atmosphere was nice, the staff was nice but we will not return. On a positive note, I hear their Mac & Cheese is very good.

Visited July 2014
“Cozy stop on the way to the poconos”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My BF and I stopped for an impromptu cocktail and snack and weren't disappointed. The atmosphere at the bar was chill, surrounded by dark wood and cozy lighting. The staff were welcoming and knowledgeable. Seven good draughts available, and a great house Chardonnay. Unlike many local spots, the national hotel had no big screen TVs and blaring music to distract us from enjoying the atmosphere. We ordered a sausage sandwich sampler which was very tasty. The dish was accompanied by some of the best French fries we'd ever had. Would definitely return.

thenationalhotelnj, Owner at The National Hotel Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback! What a wonderful review--& we are so pleased that you chose The National Hotel for your meal/drinks. We will share all of your comments w/our staff, b/c so much of what you wrote is a reflection of their hard work. Thank you again & we look forward to welcoming you back to The National Hotel.