“Good Food - Great Service”
Review of Cocina del Sol

Cocina del Sol
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Frenchtown
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had lunch here just yesterday. It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and we were able to sit at one of the three outside tables. As others indicate, the chips and pico de gallo were very good - and fresh. My partner had a vegetarian burrito (with incredibly hot sauce - which he requested), and I had the Juevos Mexicanos. Both dishes were tasty, well-prepared, and attractively presented. Our server was a young man named Rolando (I think). His service was truly outstanding. He was pleasant and attentive and genuinely friendly. The next time we are in Frenchtown (which is such a beautiful little place) we will visit la Cocina again.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Was very excited to try this place, but found the food to be very "blah". No flavor, which was surprising to me. My husband ended up mixing the refried beans, rice and the chicken together and that made it better. The chips and salsa were really good though.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Interesting basement setting for a Mexican restaurant. We went for lunch and sat under a skylight where it was pretty bright. The food was authentic Mexican. The portions were large and delicious! The service was a bit slow-but friendly so we didn't really care too much. We will be returning for dinner and BYOB.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

From other reviews I had high hopes for this place.

Started off great with chips and fresh salsa. Our waitress was not at all friendly especially when we asked for an extra minute to look over the menu.

I ordered the sol burrito with chicken, my husband ordered the burritos with beef. Food didn't take that long, but my burrito had steak, which I do no eat, instead of chicken. The waitress was almost defensive when we told her it was wrong.

She took it away and came back and said the cook was confused and it wasnt her fault. No I'm sorry, no here's something while you wait for a new burrito ( 6 months pregnant so some food while I waited would have been nice), no here's a free dessert, no bill deduction.

She never even came to ask how our food was she stopped by once and said, "you need something? ". She came over to refill my water and instead of waiting for me to hand her my glass she reached over my plate of food almost spilling the glass on me in the process.

It was not enjoyable at all and it felt like we were being rushed out.

$32 for a burrito that was mostly tortilla and 3 small burritos was definitely not worth it. There are much better authentic Mexican restaurants in the area. We will definitely not be back.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stumbled upon this terrific restaurant after a bike ride with my wife and had a 100% GREAT experience. Super-fast, friendly, professional service, diverse menu, very fair prices and a neat decor. Up until now I avoided Mexican restaurants almost as diligently as I avoid Thai joints. Not anymore---we're going back to Cocina del Sol next time we're in Frenchtown, NJ. Loved it.