“Very Happy”

Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glassboro
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband I stayed here recently for college orientation. The hotel was clean with friendly staff and good location for our purpose. Would recommend this to anyone with children attending Rowan University.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your great comments! We really appreciate you staying with us! See you next time!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at this Courtyard two weeks ago with my family and it was a miserable experience. I feel bad that I subjected my family to two days of aggravation and sleepless nights through the choice of this hotel. I should have checked us out after the first night when it became clear that the hotel caters to large “party” groups and that the management and staff weren't focused on providing a good experience for all of their guests.

The hotel has an outside lounge area situated around a gas log fire pit that is accessible to guests at all hours. The problem is that this fire pit lounge is located directly adjacent to and beneath some of the guest rooms along the back side of the hotel. On Friday evening a large wedding party checked in and decided to use this fire pit lounge area as their private outdoor party venue. From about 9PM until well past midnight the party raged on: shouting, loud talking and laughter, and at one point a raucous sing along punctuated by occasional ear-splitting rebel yells. I'm sure the wedding party had a wonderful time, but for hapless guests like us located on that back side of the hotel above or near the fire pit area, it was miserable. The fire pit lounge is within proximity to the front desk, so there is no way that the desk staff could not have known that this loud party was taking place, and carrying on into a late hour that was certain to disturb other guests who were trying to sleep. Things finally quieted down around 1AM, probably only because the wedding group actually had a wedding to go to the next day.

The following morning I discussed the issue of the late night fire pit noise with a member of the hotel staff. I was assured if the problem occurred again, it would be handled appropriately. Wrong. On Saturday night we were awakened around midnight when members of the wedding party arrived back at the hotel and began carrying on loudly in the hallway. The activity then gravitated back outside to the fire pit lounge, where some members of the wedding party picked right up from where they'd left off the previous night. I finally gave up waiting for the partiers to run out of steam and called the front desk to complain around 2:30 AM. That quieted things down briefly, but then the partying and the noise resumed a short time later. I had to call down to the front desk again around 5:00 AM to ask them to please put the last few revelers to bed so we could at least get a few hours of sleep.

So we finally got back to sleep around 5:00 AM after being kept awake since midnight. Unfortunately we then overslept because we were so exhausted and missed a scheduled brunch with family members who were flying out early that afternoon.

This is a nice new hotel with spacious rooms and good amenities. But all that is pointless if you can’t get a decent night’s sleep. As far as I could tell the hotel has no “quiet hours” policy, and if they do, they do an extremely poor job of keeping noisy guests in line. The atmosphere during our stay was more like what I would have expected at a frat house than at a Marriott hotel. If you’re not coming to this hotel to party hardy all night, ask for a room on the front side of the hotel to avoid the all-night fire pit action. And bring your ear plugs.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Joe G
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Good Day!

Thank you very much for providing us with your feed back during your recent visit with us. We strive to provide the best possible service to each and every guest and when we fall short of that goal it certainly concerns us. Please know that each concern you raised in your comments will not go unnoticed or acted upon. Thank you very much and we really do look forward to your return and much better results.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Made some last minute reservations while in this area at the Marriott. The building and block around this hotel was very new, modern, and upscale. I was able to park my car out front and then check in. The building was impressive from the moment you stepped in it.

It was exceedingly clean, warm, smelled brand new, and had a high scale modern feel to it. Front desk check in was easy, and the staff there were very helpful to all of their guests.

I was given a room on the second floor, and while I noted that there didn’t seem to be much parking out front, the staff notified me that there was plenty of parking in the garage across the way and that my room key would get me in and out.

The room was luxurious in appearance. The attention to detail was noticeable, and the room was extremely well-appointed. The beds were so luxuriously soft and cloud-like – best night sleep in a very long time! There was a refrigerator and coffee station, but no microwave.

The bathroom was also beautifully appointed with a granite sink, and a wall to block off the toilet area. The shower was beautiful with a granite ledge to sit on. All lighting was bright, luminous, and functional, and the A/C unit was perfect, and very quiet.

There were only two things about the room which were not correct - and like other reviewers have noted – the bathroom door does not fit squarely in to the opening. You cannot close it. It seems like such a glaring error in light of the fact that everything else was very nice here.

If you try to close the door it goes all the way to the frame and then stops. If you pull extremely hard on it from one side and push from the other you CAN get it to close, but it makes and extraordinary noise in protest. And then equally so when you try to get out. I have included a photo with the door closed as far as you can go with it – you can see that the door is not set properly. Young children would most definitely get stuck in there if they managed to get the door closed, and not be able to get out.

Additionally noted was the lock on the door also was not squarely placed upon construction. You have to use force to get it to close properly as the metal scrapes upon itself on the bottom of the lock. I've included a photo so you can see the extra space on top, and on the bottom where you really have to force it to get it closed all the way. However, it does work when you do so.

Overall, this was not a major detraction from the luxury of the room. Enjoy yourself here – they offer a pool – which, although it is rather small in appearance it seems very clean. As well they have a generously sized fitness room and whirlpool. There is a bistro downstairs which looks fresh and upscale, but my guest and I prefer to try the local cuisine.

We very much enjoyed our stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road. Was able to hear people walking around above me, so maybe a higher f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Christine H
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for all your comments. Each and everyone will be looked at in a way where we can hopefully improve our overall operation of the hotel. Thank your for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Check in time was 3pm and my wife and I arrived at 2:20pm. We were told that our room wasn't ready and we would have to wait; 3:05 we were in. The room was spacious and clean; the bed comfortable. The room was right next to the road and very noisy from traffic and people talking all night!! Almost like the windows were made of paper! Ask for a room away from the road and you'll enjoy your stay much more. Also, FYI the bistro in the lobby was expensive and dirty.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Dennis G
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello valued guest,

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Rest assured we take every comment from every guest and use that information to better serve the next guest. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Great location, walking distance to much of Rowan University and some food establishments. Recently constructed and clean. Rooms are large and queen beds are comfortable. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Refrigerator in room but it is very small and no freezer to put cold packs from cooler. No microwave in room although there is a public microwave in the lobby. Food is a bit pricey from lobby restaurant but nice layout of seating arrangement to eat or socialize. Walls are a bit thin and rooms facing the road do hear the traffic noise.

Room Tip: A room not on the street side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We really appreciate any and all feedback from our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Upon check-in, my card was declined. Thought this was odd since I knew there was plenty of money in the account. Clerk tried again, with the same result. Luckily, my gf was with me and we were able to use hers. When we got upstairs and got online to check my account, it showed that the money had been withdrawn and the the charge DID go through. So now both of our cards had been charged. It was very late, and I figured I'd just take care of it in the morning. So when we go to check out, the clerk on duty barely listened to what I had to say, and just rushed me along like it didn't matter. She couldn't care less and that "it will work itself out" kind of attitude. Now, I have worked in retail, and don't really subscribe to the "customer is always right" notion, but at least I have always listened to what they have to say, and try to come up with a solution to their concerns!

The room itself was very nice and clean. Except our bathroom door wouldn't close all the way because it was out of square. Now, maybe this isn't a big deal to some of you, but there are certain things that are done in a bathroom that I prefer to do with a completely closed door, especially when traveling with my gf. Did someone in housekeeping or a previous guest not report this?

And lastly, the breakfast bar is a joke. It's a Starbucks venture, and ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tj88keys
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear valued guest,

Please allow me to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. The ability to address and solve guest concerns is our highest priority. Please accept our apologies for the check in mistake and please feel free to contact me personally to discuss and hopefully when visiting Glassboro you ask to me so I may enhance your stay with a much more positive experience.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went for youth soccer tournament nearby. Stayed 2 nights. Hotel was very clean and seemed well run. Location is convenient as you can walk to drug store, some restaurants, package store. Not many choices in area. Would stay again.

Only downside... elevators are about as as slow as I have ever seen. Think nursing home speed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Sian M, General Manager at Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello valued guest!

Thank you very much for your great comments! we really do appreciate it! We look forward to seeing you again real soon.

GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glassboro
Best Western Monroe Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Turnersville (Philadelphia Area)
Courtyard Deptford
Courtyard Deptford
#2 of 3 in Deptford
Hampton Inn & Suites Vineland
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Blackwood
Fairfield Inn Deptford
Fairfield Inn Deptford
#1 of 3 in Deptford

Been to Courtyard Glassboro Rowan University? Share your experiences!