“Simple and Clean if that is all you are looking for”

Quality Inn Gloucester City
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gloucester City
California
“Simple and Clean if that is all you are looking for”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Mom and pop run so they must adhere to whatever quality standards they come up despite it being franchised by Quality Inn. The room did have coffee, a frige which were nice.. But not so friendly staff. Price was very cheap so having a cheap bed, cheap everything in the room didn't bother me as it was expected. BUT THE LOBBY AND THE ROOM HAD A STRONG CHEMICAL STENCH!!! The furniture in lobby and eating area were way too gaudy. Due to the stench (and the room was depressing) I at one point considered taking a loss and check into a hotel but since I was busy out of the room all day, I decided to stay put just to sleep and get out early next am. I have to say the room, despite being really cheap, was clean. The location is convenient.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Checked into the Quality Inn for one night, as our college soccer team was playing locally. You can't beat the price ($80 including tax), but there is a reason it's that cheap.

My friend and I had been given adjoining rooms. He opened his door first, to find someone else's clothes and items in the room. Red flag #1!! My room had no such items in it. In fact, it had very little else, either. No light bulbs in 3 of the 4 fixtures, no towels, toilet paper, bathroom items, remote control, or pillows on bed! I called the front desk to ask if they were an extra charge. I was instructed to go to the laundry room to get my items. I felt like I was in a prison line, getting the basic necessities, The outer doors to the unit we were in (D Block) didn't work with the card keys.

The room was an absolute disgrace. The carpet was like sandpaper, there was peeling pain hanging down from the ceiling, the air conditioner/heater didn't work, the microwave was so small that I had to remove the turntable and arm to get my cup of coffee in it, and there was no hot water. i called the front desk, and was told to let it run for 10 minutes first. It never got warmer than tepid.

Because of the key incident, I wouldn't advise leaving anything of value in your room if you aren't there. Also, don't kid yourself if you think that free breakfast as an additional amenity is worth attending. I was there at 8 (free breakfast is from 6-9am), and there was nothing except the world's smallest bagels, some sausages that were still there for a reason, and apple juice.

I will say that the bed was comfortable (though I have no idea how sanitary), and as the heater kicked on overnight and the room was about 90 degrees, i think it caused me to pass out and sleep well.

All kidding aside, this hotel is dreadful. I have been all over the world, and rooms in a third-world country aren't like this. it was dirty, in bad need of repair, illogically situated (4 separate buildings forming a square, with no elevators, small stairways (18 steps, so you better be in shape!) and trash everywhere. The front desk staff wasn't friendly. In fact, I think they stopped answering room 275's calls. And the funny thing is I have NEVER left a hotel review before, and I typically don't complain about much. I was just overwhelmed. Thank goodness, the stay was only one night. I would recommend this ONLY as a last resort, and knowing what you're getting into.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, choose another hotel. I'm not joking.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Qualitynj723, General Manager at Quality Inn Gloucester City, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hotel. We appreciate your opinions. I am taking your review very seriously and investigating the matters you expressed. If you could kindly email me your contact information, I would like to resolve this matter with you directly. Kindly email me at: gm.nj723@choicehotels.com. Thank you.
New York
Reviewed 26 October 2011

There was a chemical scent in the room that made me lightheaded and nauseous. The front desk offered to switch us to another room, but the other room had the same god awful scent of bug spray and/or lysol. They suggested we alternate between open windows and AC. The window screen was broken and the unlit parking lot was right out our window on the 1st floor, so I felt very uncomfortable having an open window. The hallway door would not close and that was supposed to be a security door that opened only with your room key/card. The hallway had nasty stained carpet and lights that flickered. The bed was not at all comfortable. If it was not such a long drive home and if we weren't too tired to drive, we would have left. I don't expect anything fancy from Quality Inns, but I do expect a room that feels safe and doesn't make me sick. DO NOT book here. There are a million other places nearby.

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay. Any other place.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I recently booked a room at this hotel while visiting Philadelphia. It was the absolute worst hotel I have EVER been to. Our room was FILTHY dirty--pillows and sheets were stained, bathroom looked used and dirty, the carpets in the hallways and the room were stained, and the whole hotel atmosphere had a musty, terrible smell. When I was rudely offered another room, it was just as bad. Front desk staff (Sera was the woman's name I dealt with) was beyond rude to say the least. She did not apologize one single time for the any of the problems we were having, and almost refused to offer me a refund for my room that we refused to stay in. Do not EVER stay at this hotel, it is awful and I will never stay at another Quality Inn again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed 14 October 2011

What's not to like? 15 min from airport, 20 min from historic Philly, pool, plenty of parking, free WIFI, free breakfast, taxis & airport limos available in parking lot 24/7, WAWA(a Philadelphia tradition) within walking distance, 5-10 min to all nite diners & fast-food, Clean & Quiet & Spacious rooms, Great Rates compared to anywhere in Philly, but most of all the hotel staff; an attentive and friendly front desk, truly a first rate operation. I am a seasoned traveler, and I assure you the value of this Quality Inn more than met my standards! Do NOT hesitate to choose this property when traveling thru this region.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Danincalif
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We booked this hotel for one night, via expedia, after searching for something close to PHL.

Room: There was a queen bed with an ok mattress and three small pillows. The bathroom smelled moldy and the tub had permanent stains. The carpet needs to be vacuumed more often - I walked on it barefoot for a short while and the soles of my feet got black. The coffee-maker carafe was dirty.

Breakfast: was ok, but the breakfast room was small and consequently packed.

Not sure if I have the right to complain about this (and will not take this into account in my rating) but we got there at 2:40 and they wouldn't let us check in because apparently all rooms were occupied. I understand check-in time is at 3, so they certainly had a right to refuse, but I thought the reason didn't make much sense (or maybe it did considering the state of the carpet in the room...).

Also, something unrelated to the quality of the hotel but useful to know: there don't seem to be any gas stations between the hotel and PHL, so keep this in mind if you are returning a rental car to the airport. Or if there are gas stations, there are no signs directing you to them...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Qualitynj723, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Gloucester City, responded to this review, 23 September 2011

Regards,
The Quality Inn
NYC
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Booked a queen non smoking room. Check in was ok, a little slow.
Got to our room (exterior corridor) and it was small, and one of the lights didn't work. I thought the a/c didn't work either but my boyfriend insisted maybe it would just take a little while to cool off. We waited. We left for a concert. The location to Camden is fine, an easy 10 minute ride on the highway. Hotel is right off the highway.

When we got back to the room around 12:30am, it was clear the a/c wasn't working. It was in the 90's and humid. I called the front desk and asked to change rooms. I was told he would call me back because he was checking in other guests. No call back after 10+ minutes so I called again. Again, I was told he would call me back. Finally 10+ minutes after that I got a call back and was told someone would be bringing me a new key to a new room. Got the key and went to the new room. The key did not work. Had to walk to the front desk to get the key fixed. Walked to the new room again, the key didn't work AGAIN, one more time, walked to the front desk and was told it was the right key. After it didn't work again we went to the front desk and said someone needed to walk us to the room. A staff member walked us to the room and as it turned out it wasn't the right key for the correct room, luckily he brought another key for another room.
FINALLY we were in the new room in a newer building, put the a/c on and waited, thank god it worked...took a little while for the room to cool off but at least it was working. This was a semi-comfortable king bed, a much nicer bathroom with a/c that worked.
Be aware the room size and condition of these rooms at this hotel varies greatly.
Additional info: Passed the pool like 6 times when trying to change rooms, it looked decent. Coffee served in lobby in morning.

Due to the terrible service in getting another room and a/c not working (unacceptable in summer) I will never stay at this hotel again. For the 5 extra minutes away from Camden, I will be staying in Cherry Hill or Mt Laurel. If you have to stay here, request one of the interior corridor king rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on TripAdvisor. We take all your comments and opinions into account and look into how we can improve on our accommodations and service. We hope to have the opportunity in the future to have you as our guest. Be safe in your travels, and please contact the Hotel when you are in the area again. We would like to provide you with a special discounted rate as a token of appreciation.

Regards,
aloft Philadelphia Airport
#55 of 85 in Philadelphia
Best Western Philadelphia South - West Deptford Inn
Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia - Cherry Hill

Been to Quality Inn Gloucester City? Share your experiences!