“A Gorgeous Lodge to stay”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I and my wife stayed at this lodge in June 2014. She is somewhat a picky lady with hard to be appreciated.

However she liked everything on this lodge; its interior, the staff services, foods, hot spring, gorgeous scenery and trails that we walked together and even a township near, Hamburg. It was the best vacation mixed with business and worth to drive from Toronto to Hamburg, NJ.

My money was well spent with big smiles. Cheers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter R
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Peterroh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind and thoughtful review, and for visiting us all the way from Canada--wow! I am so glad that you and your wife had such a wonderful time during your stay, and it was our great pleasure to have you. On behalf of our resort staff, we look forward to welcoming you back many more times to come.

Cheers to you!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at the Grand Cascades Lodge for 2 nights in July in a 1 b/r. For the price paid, ($390 with taxes) we have stayed several other resorts that were much more impressive for lesser prices. The immediate appearance of the property is grand and luxurious. However, the interior of the unit needed to be updated. The seating in the restaurants is not sufficient for the number of resort guests in July and August, The outdoor pools were lovely to look at, but the water temp was quite cool. The biosphere pool was beautiful to look at, but extremely small. The pictures online definately make it appear larger than it is. All of the front desk staff did their required job but with no extra special touch or added requirement outside of their trained requirements. The shuttle service between properties was convenient, but certainly not the excellent transportation service that WDW has developed (and yet you can stay at Disney World for a lot less $). In order for the operation to succeed in the long term, the owners need to reevalute, renovate, and re-train some employees or repeat guests will soon be choosing other vacation destinations. When I visit a property and spend my vacation dollars, I always ask myself "Would I return?" and the answer this time is a definate no.

Room Tip: Room near elevator; hallways are extremely long.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank loveisbliss

Dear Loveisbliss,

Thank you for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge for your recent escape and also for sharing with us feedback about your stay. I agree that the grandeur and appearance of our property are beyond impressive and every day, I am struck by the beauty of some area or aspect of the resort, whether large or small. I also feel very passionately that our hotel staff sincerely work to make every guest's stay a positive and memorable one. Even to be "just ok" is below the high standards that we set and that we enjoy meeting. I definitely apologize that this was not your experience, and I hope that you will give the opportunity to discuss further. I encourage you to contact me, and I hope that you will, in fact, return because I know that you will have a fantastic time.

Thank you for your time in posting and for visiting our resort.

vsammartine@crystalgolfresort.com

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Wow what a great find. This resort has it all. If you like to golf there are seven renowned golf courses, if you love vintage wines they have Wine Spectator Grand Award-winning wine cellar, there are 2 spas for treatments, or just relaxing by the pool.

Only staying one night, it was hard to explore the entire resort but what we did see we LOVED IT!! One of the 5 pools was in a biosphere pool complex with an underground aquarium (which we did not get to see the aquarium) a winding indoor water slide with rocks and waterfalls. Also there was a pool side cafe with sandwiches and gelato. Along side the pool was a chefs garden outside kitchen unfortunately it was closed the day we were there but OMG I wanted to eat there. The kitchen was nestled in the garden they use for cooking.

Now the room........ a 2 bedroom suite. Large kitchen, 2 baths with a Shower stall and jacuzzi tub laundry room, dinning room and fireplace. Very cozy. Open and airy. Decorated in soft fall colors.

This resort is a must or as I say.........someplace to add to your bucket list to visit. You will not be disappointed at all. The service was great, all staff was so friendly and helpful.

You must have a spa treatment while you are there at the Reflections Spa. Eileen, Jennifer and Elizabeth were 3 of the massage therapists and esthetician that took great care of us. We were greeted in the relaxation room with your choice of hot tea, infused water and mini pastries. After the treatment we were seated in another room for a complimentary foot salt scrub. While relaxing in the room, we were offered Champagne with a chocolate truffle on the edge of the glass or hot tea or water.

Make a reservation now. There is so much to do and they have daily activities for kids as well as adults.

Room Tip: 2 bed rooms and 2 baths are great for 4 or more people.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tina,

It was a pleasure to read about your recent visit to Grand Cascades Lodge, and I am so glad that your family getaway was a comfortable, relaxing, memorable, fun experience. Our property is big--very big--and exploring is definitely an activity in itself, most especially during Summer. So glad that you enjoyed! Thank you for taking the time to write and share with myself, the Grand Cascades staff, and other travellers: it means a lot to us! Hope to see you again soon at the Biosphere or Chef's Garden. Until then, safe travels,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My family visited this hotel exactly 4 years ago and we returned for another weekend of mixed feelings about this place. Our room was very good. Nothing not to like.The rooms are probably the strongest point here. We had a one bedroom suite because out of 280 or so rooms in the hotel there are less than 10 two bedrooms suites, but you can get a good number of one bedroom suites that connect to an additional bedroom. Reservations didn't tell us that but we'll know for the future. There appear to be only 2 elevators for a hotel with about 70 rooms on each floor and various services over 5 levels. Expect to use the stairs a lot or ask for a room near the elevators because the hallways are quite long. Concierge service at this hotel is very kind and the front desk was also very helpful. Very good babysitting was arranged through the hotel. Susan has been there for 7 years and is a steady hand. We learned from things we didn't like 4 years ago and had a better time -- we made sure to cool the room down in the evening before going to bed and to have our dinner reservations in place several weeks in advance. The views toward the mountains are lovely. Those are the high points. The biggest weakness here is a shortage of seats in the food and beverage outlets when the place gets busy. At La Tour and the Bistro which take reservations we sat in these restaurants and saw what we thought were quite a few empty seats. At the Chef's Garden, which is first come first served, we could never get a seat the entire weekend except by standing in line before the place opens for lunch at 11am or 5pm for dinner or coming at 9:30 at night before it closed. That restaurant's maitre d' told us that this past Saturday at its 5pm opening there were 45 people in line for 60 seats. The cafe in the biosphere pool area has a limited menu that is not meat and after 2 days my kids were sick of ice cream and donuts. Breakfast was awful 4 years ago and it remains mostly a bunch of food coming out of packages. On Sunday the buffet is grand, but again it's mostly food out of packages or stuff on the griddle made from mixes, although the fruit platters are very good. Dinner at La Tour is excellent but I would prefer an a la carte menu because they have only a limited tasting menu and most of the things on the menu I don't like to eat. The Bistro food was OK to decent depending on what you order but not nearly on the same par as La Tour.The outdoor pools are not heated and our kids were cold even in July. Some people at 9am try to save 20 lounges for their family (I am not making this up) and guests showing up later have trouble finding lounges, shade and eventually towels. We tried the Foot Golf but got kicked off the course because you are interspersed with golfers which made it impractical for us to do this with 6 and 8 year old kids. We went to the Action Park and that was a disaster -- the water there is freezing at about 70 degrees, the maps in the park are not marked as to which rides are appropriate for kids of varying abilities so we had to keep walking around to the rides themselves to figure out which rides were appropriate for kids and the a lot of the staff were absolutely clueless about where anything was that was more than 25 feet away from them -- we left after 2 hours of walking around a lot of very hilly areas and getting very frustrated and the only ride we went on was the mountain coaster. The mountain coaster is a dry ride but you have to pay extra for it after you have already entered the park. It was a total throwout of money. Our kids preferred the water slides at the hotel and enjoyed the biosphere except for the fact that the slide there is limited to kids 48 inches or taller. The shuttle bus service to the water park was decent enough. We generally found staff interactions to be positive toward us, but we got the feeling during our interactions and from things we heard within earshot that there is some low morale among the lower paid staff members and that their feedback is not welcomed by their employers. It is clear that the hotel does not react to Trip Advisor reviews by making any operational changes and they have had plenty of time to make changes. 4 years ago the music at the Bistro dinner was awful and it was the same last night. They run out of towels at the pool in mid-afternoon; they closed the water slide at 4:00 on a Saturday over Fourth of July weekend for lack of staff. Signage at the approaches and exits of the hotel is poor for drivers and most people get lost driving around. For example, from Road 94 there is no sign at the Liberty Gas Station telling you to turn left and we totally missed it and we couldn't figure out how to leave the property because there were no signs telling you how to exit. Signage has been poor for years and everyone knows it. Several employees said the management knows it and refuses to deal with it for their own internal reasons. The spa has virtually no facilities other than a sitting room and a locker room with shower. When I reached for that shower, the handle fell off and there was no way to get to the soap which was in a dispenser without a working lever to dispense it. The saunas and jacuzzi are out at the biosphere pool. The spa was a bit of a caricature of itself with loud spa music playing to drown out the people scurrying around and the groups of guests making a lot of noise. It is something like my 6 year old kid yelling at me "RELAX." The gym is adequate. This hotel bills itself as the upscale property in this development which it is when you compare it to the Minerals property. The Grand Cascades hotel has different sorts of people co-mingled there as guests; some of them are very happy at the hotel's price point at about $350 a night and don't want to spend one dollar more and come with their own waffle irons. Others would be at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton resort if there were any within 100 miles but there aren't, a fact that absolutely amazes me for a metropolitan area such as New York City. This property has La Tour restaurant servicing that audience but nothing else. I think this place could be more successful if it did like the Wynne in Las Vegas which has a separate part of the hotel with nice suites and better facilities and allows those guests more privacy. Half the guests are walking around with a lot of tattoos and the other half are probably wishing they saw less of it. Those guests will pay more but will get a heated pool, better food options and priority for tables and know that they can come to the pool area and find an open lounge and towel. This property has a lot going for it but it is not tight. You can show up to the entrance of the pool area at 8:05 for breakfast at the cafe which is supposed to open at 8:00 and the lights are still out and the door is locked. You call the Chef Garden's restaurant at lunch time and they don't answer the phone and you find out the next day their phone was rained out the previous day and out of order. They really need to get over their internal issues and do things such as fix up their signage and get a handle on their entertainment at their food and beverage outlets. You get the feeling that their management is sitting there smug at their price point and due to the lack of competition. Maybe they can afford to be, but they could do better and charge more for doing so precisely because of it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 649ic
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear IvanCiment,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge once again, and for providing such a detailed review of all you experienced while here, both good and bad. Let me start by saying that our managers, myself especially, take the feedback of guests very seriously--when you speak, we listen. There are many, many reasons why we choose to keep some things the way they are and change others. Our property has grown and developed tremendously in the last four years, or fewer, opening the mountain top, acquiring and renovating the neighboring ski and water parks, opening new restaurants and changing old ones, and adding dozens of amenities. You are absolutely correct that we serve a wide variety of travellers and we work to strike a balance between true luxury, relaxation, fun, and accessibility for our guests. Above all, this always has been a family run resort, and our owners are very passionate about maintaining a property for our guests that is beautiful, relaxing, luxurious, and fun.

Still, I understand some of your frustrations, and knowing that despite those, you had a positive experience here, I encourage you to contact me ahead of your next stay (whether next weekend or 4 more years from now). I will most certainly work with you to minimize some of the issues you noted and to help take your stay to the next level.

Thank you again for taking so much time and consideration in writing your post and hope to speak to you soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had the pleasure of staying 3 nights at The Grand Cascades Lodge. Our suite was large and had all the amenities (including a washer-dryer). The bed was memory form and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The Lodge had 3 restaurants on property. We ate at each and I will review those individually in T.A's restaurant review section.
The golf however was why we chose The Grand Cascades and was the highlight of our trip. We played at three different courses. all were beautiful and had their own characteristics. Wild Turkey was the easiest- wide open fairways and many flat lies; very forgiving. Great for high handicappers. The second was Ballyowen. Like the Irish countryside, lots of water and interesting layouts. The third was the Cascades. A true mountain course. Absolutely beautiful, but very challenging. A occasional golfer would need to carry lot of balls for this one.
The hotel also had a beautiful pool area indoors with a water-slide. We did not use it but the kids who did looked like they were having the time of their lives. The spa looked inviting as well, but I did not take advantage of it.
Two of the three restaurants were fabulous, the third I would not recommend for many reasons that I will discuss in the restaurant section.
All in all, it was one of the best vacations ever!
It was a wonderful spot to which I am sure we will return.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is quieter than the back where it overlooks the pools and wedding venues. If...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clare M

Dear Clare,

Delighted to read that your golf & stay visit to Grand Cascades was a fun and memorable one. An interesting note on golf at Wild Turkey, Ballyowen, and Cascades: they were all designed by the same course architect, Roger Rulewich, but at different times. It's neat to see the way that the courses have similarities based on his style and the landscape of our region, and yet are so different from one another. As a (very) high handicapper, I can tell you that there are more than a few golf balls marked VS out on those courses, so anyone reading this, if you find one please bring to the hotel front desk! I am glad you had great experiences dining at the resort, but sorry to read that at least one meal was not what it should have been. I will look for the review and share with the restaurant managers. Glad to read, though, that we will see you again, and yes, next time definitely bring your bathing suit.

Until then, warm regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

was the most relaxing overnight stay I have ever had. stepping outside your room onto the patio with a fireplace was the greatest! the pools, golf, the grounds and the food was just unbelievable. wish I could of stayed another night!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank default48576

Dear Default,

Thank you! There are many ways to enjoy and explore Grand Cascades Lodge and Crystal Springs Resort, but however you spend the day, to sit on the balcony of your suite with the fireplace on admiring the twilight and sipping a drink is the perfect ending to it. So very glad you enjoyed, and please visit again soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from The Grand Cascades Lodge. Our highest expectations were surpassed. Usually the professional photos on a website differ from reality. Not here! What you see in the posted photos are exactly the condition of the property, if not better. We could not have been happier and felt like royalty. Tavern Restaurant menu was very different from mainstream entrees and was delicious. Since we were there during the week, two of the restaurants were not open. Richard was our server in the Tavern for both lunch and dinner and was professional yet friendly. The pools and pool area were gorgeous and relaxing. There are many other outside sitting areas with cushioned furniture and fireplaces to enjoy any time of day or night. Romantic to say the least. However, there were some young children at the pool having fun and were well behaved.
Staff on every level are wonderful, friendly, and ever-present.
The property is extremely well-maintained. The golf course is gorgeous as is the 18 hole putting course.
One of the hightlights of our trip was horseback riding, an activity you just have to try.
You are shuttled to the other property, Mineral Springs, and then shuttled to Hamburg Wildlife Preserve. You are met by Mary, your guide, her Jack Russell, Cody, and the gorgeous healthy horses. From the minute you meet Mary, you learn you are in good hands. She is a very knowlegeable guide and she, as well as her horses, know the trails by heart. We had some great conversations with Mary along the way and she makes you feel very at ease and confident with the horses, Murphy and Montana. However, the best was the companionship of Cody. That cute little ball of fire ran with us the entire trial; of course, darting here and there to investigate off-trail. The horses as well as Cody respond to Mary's commands and do not waiver.
We stayed in room 414 - Timber Creek Vista Suite K which was a gorgeous suite with king bed, full kitchen, washer/dryer, sitting area, huge bathroom, and walk-in closet.
I am looking forward to going back for an extended stay.

Room Tip: I am pretty confident that any room would be fabulous! Golf course view was pretty spectacular!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DorothyCharlie

Dear Dorothy,

On behalf of myself, our resort staff, Murphy, Montana, and Cody, thank you for visiting us and for sharing your review with other guests! It is so greatly appreciated. I have mentioned it in other review responses, but I cannot overstate, as you wrote, how beautiful our property is, here at Cascades and at our sisters sites, and of course, at the Mountain Top. I also had the pleasure to ride with Mary on the mountain trail and, yes, Cody was a riot! He sat on Murphy's back while Mary put the saddles on the other horses and spent the trail ride running up and down the line of horses like an adorable lunatic. After the remote ride through the forest, you step right back into relaxing luxury and are on to the next activity or amenity. That is at the heart of our resort, and I am so glad you shared it with us. I hope to see you again soon, and until then, safe travels.

Warm Regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
#1 of 6 in Milford
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!