“Beautiful Resort but a bit pricey”

Grand Cascades Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamburg
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Great vacation with my adult nephew and his 2 children ages 9 and 10. The most beautiful hotel room I have ever stayed in and I have traveled most my life. I do wish they had some additional on site activities. The golf course looked beautiful and I was unable to golf due to a foot injury and looking at the golf course from the patio each day was killing me. Room service is pricey and not organized very well. The tavern restaurant had one of the best burgers and I highly recommend that. The lobby is very small. I thought overall that the price was just a bit over what it should have been for a one bedroom suite. Overall, I would come back here again.

Room Tip: Has a great kitchen in the suites. Bring your own food for some of your meals. Not many restaurant...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Patti P
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Patti P,

It was our pleasure to have you and your family as our guests, and thank you for writing about your trip. Sorry to read about your foot sidelining you from golf this time around, but next time for sure. Hopefully, you were able to at least enjoy a little mini-golf on our natural turf putting course. I was delighted to read that our suite received high marks from you, and of course, I cannot disagree. The full kitchen is a great, but daresay under-utilized, amenity for many of our guests. I was, however, disappointed to read about your less than spectacular experience with room service, and I will share this with our room service manager. As for the Tavern Burger, it is definitely phenomenal...especially with the applewood bacon and brie or bleu cheese crumbles (or if you really want to be outrageous the foie gras).

Overall, so glad that you enjoyed your stay and do truly hope that you will visit us again very soon. Until then, safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Grand Cascades Lodge

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed at Grand Cascades - one of the three resorts of this complex. Amazing for families. We liked this one best because of the biosphere pool complex. It has a great slide and caverns as well as big jacuzzi and separate sauna room. There is no lifeguard on duty so plan to keep eyes on your kids. You can go explore other resorts that are part of this complex (they provide free shuttle) but they are as much as 20 minutes away. The other resorts have their own specialties - like if your family is super fitness oriented stay at Minerals. Another spectacular feature at Grand Cascades is the daily tour of the wine cellar at 3pm. All the rooms are not created equal - we booked a 1 br suite w/ fireplace and outdoor deck based on the web site because we were looking forward to a jacuzzi that could actually comfortably fit 2 adults (which is is technically a 3 person jacuzzi) We found out that the 3 person jacuzzi is available by request only and have certain room names - even though they are same price! (Longpond or Willowstream lookout suite) (your welcome)!!! We are going back and were sure to request the larger suite with the larger jacuzzi by name. There is a strict occupancy policy - so if you have more than 2 kids be prepared to pay more. It's worth it to get the suites with kitchen because on site food is VERY expensive and can make it super costly - so make breakfast and lunch in the room and save money for a dinner splurge and the farm to table restaurant! There are also some less expensive decent places to eat just off site of the property. The place is immaculately clean and well maintained. There are several chill places around the grounds to hang and catch the sunset. There was no traffic there or back from NYC which is HUGE when only getting away for a few days - travel time a little over an hour - incredible when we have sat in long island beach traffic for hours even knowing side routes.

Room Tip: ask for longpond or willowstream lookout suite for bigger room with bigger jacuzzi at same price
4  Thank suzanne v

Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for visiting Grand Cascades Lodge, and thank you for posting about your trip, your experiences, and providing some great tips for other travelers who have yet to stay; I am certain they appreciate it also! Thanks much for recognizing our housekeepers and grounds crew, who do an amazing job keeping the whole property looking fabulous. I agree that Chef's Garden is definitely worth the trip and I'm glad you took the opportunity to dine there.

For Summer and Fall the upgraded one bedroom suite has the great perk of having a second fireplace outside on the balcony. It is true that there are two different layouts for this type of suite and the bathrooms are part of that difference. The jetted tub in the Long Pond Hearth Suite is slightly larger, but is still meant for a one person. Truly, only the largest of the two bedroom suites in the hotel has a full Jacuzzi tub. I recommend speaking with the hotel front desk directly after booking, to make sure that any special request is properly addressed. (973) 823-6511 is the direct number for anyone reading.

Thanks again for posting, and for your kind words, and we look forward to your return. Until then, safe travels.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This property is located in the mountainous are of northwest New Jersey. The clientele draw seems to be from New York and New Jersey.

If your main focus is golf (lots of beautiful courses) and hanging out at the lovely pools while being lifeguard for your own family, you will like this property. There are some nice (but not overly diversified, compared to other resort experiences) activities to do. Night time glow bocce ball was fun, the sunset golf cart ride, an afternoon at mountaintop on the lake (which had friendly, enthusiastic lifeguards and a very good archery instructor) lead the headlines.

Staff were very pleasant and friendly, helpful when approached. Front desk staff plentiful and helpful. Valets remarkably cheerful and upbeat as well.

Not a lot of spontaneous niceties or chatter, though, from guests, residents, or most staff.
I was born in NYC and raised in NJ, so I realize that this is a geographic specific thing, but I am always mildly surprised when I return to the area. It also may be from the fact that the resort has a residence/real estate base in that people can buy and maintain units for themselves, so it can function more like an apartment building, and people probably have their own routine and social base. Just mentioning this in case you are a traveler who likes to absorb the area culture through interaction.

Pools are advertised as having no lifeguards, and while they use signage to indicate children should not be there unsupervised, it did not appear to be enforced. I observed an approximately 9 year old with no judgement dunking a 2 year old repeatedly, leaving him gasping for breath and choking on water (no parents). I dodged 6 year olds running around with ignited wooded roasting sticks, dumping a pile of new sticks on the fire- they were supervised by a 10 year old (no parents) As you cannot count on parents to comply or demonstrate good judgement, there does need to be lifeguards and a staff member at these events.

The chef's garden area is lovely and beautiful to walk in, I was disappointed that it was closed during the week, leaving a big range between a formal sit down dinner and grab n go at the Biosphere Cafe. Off property dining was necessary frequently.

Our unit was spacious, nice, complete kitchenette and laundry. Do not put anyone larger than a preschooler on the sofa bed, it was not comfortable. The housekeeping team was efficient and could "blitz tidy" within minutes if you had them in while you were in the unit. 5 very polite, thorough staff members got a lot done in 6 minutes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mg3542

Dear MG,

Thank you for visiting us at Grand Cascades Lodge, and experiencing some of the great beauty and comfort that our resort has to offer. And I thank you for taking a few moments to reflect and share your feedback with us and with other travelers, past, present and future. I'm so glad that you and your family enjoyed the resort's mountaintop lake, indoor and outdoor pools, and golf courses, among the other great amenities that we offer. Yes, I definitely agree, it can be frustrating when other guests are not responsible for their children in some of the shared spaces, but our staff and our lifeguards do try to manage that to prevent other guests from having a bad experience. I appreciate your kind words to our friendly, eager employees, and I know that the praise means a lot, as they do work very hard.

We all hope that you will visit again, possibly later this Summer or Fall on a weekend to experience Chef's Garden, and if you need assistance booking please do not hesitate to contact me.

Once again, thanks for visiting and for posting!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

What a pleasant surprise!!! Just got back from a spa get-a-way with some girlfriends and found this place to be a hidden gem. The grounds, landscaping and gardens are spectacular. Service was stellar, and we really enjoyed the 2 restaurants that we dined in which were the Spring Cafe and Chef's Garden. Chef’s garden is farm to table and supplied from the beautiful and bountiful organic garden surrounding the outdoor patio bistro. We had a suite which was fantastic full of every amenity and with a large balcony with dining table for four overlooking beautiful scenic mountain views. A must see is the wine cellar tour which is one of the largest most impressive cellars in the world, absolutely amazing and our guide was friendly, incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about her trade and full of insightful stories. Fabulous spa treatments and services. I highly recommend Grand Cascades which honestly felt like it was a plane ride away and easy to forget that you're in the Tri-State area.

Room Tip: balcony a must!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa S
Vincent S, Front Office Manager at Grand Cascades Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Lisa,

Thank you so much for choosing Grand Cascades Lodge and for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate that! "Hidden gem" and "girls getaway" are two phrases we hear all the time when talking with our guests, and it was my pleasure to read that you and yours had a wonderful, relaxing, wow'ing stay at our resort. For any travelers reading who are visiting us during the weekend in Summer, I genuinely recommend the Chef's Garden restaurant, as Lisa has, which is such a unique and amazing setting and the beautiful pictures hardly do it justice. Lisa, I am so happy that you had the chance to dine there and found it to be incredible. Me too!

Our staff is greatly appreciative of your thoughtful review, and we very much look forward to your next visit to Crystal Springs Resort. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this fabulous resort while attending a milestone birthday for a family member. I stayed in a one room suite...facility is beautiful and the staff professional and attentive. From the minute I arrived, the entire staff, from the bellman to the front desk manager, the concierge, and the housekeeping team ensured that I was welcomed and very well taken care of. The resort is amazing from the beautiful gardens, golf course, and pools. And the view from the balcony in the morning was breathtaking. Can't wait to return!

Dear AC1130,

My sincere thanks for sharing your review of Grand Cascades Lodge with fellow travelers and for choosing our property to spend a special birthday with loved ones. The setting we have here is perfect for occasions just such as those, and our staff truly works hard to provide a level of service that is outstanding and memorable. I could not be happier that we exceeded your expectations and made your trip one to remember. Thank you again for posting and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to Grand Cascades twice now. Once in December and just recently in July. The property is gorgeous in July with fantastic gardens all around. The pools areas are clean with an abundance of helpful employees. During both stays our every need was met with happy, friendly and efficient staff. There are small comfortable sitting areas throughout the property both inside and out, which I found delightful. Even in July the fire pits made for an excellent relaxing evening. We rented the suites for both visits so we utilized the in suite kitchen which was fantastic. It is stocked with full sets of dishes, glassware and utensils it even includes a dish washer. I highly recommend this lodge for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Room Tip: If you have childen I highly recommend the suites with the kitchens.

Dear Kristin,

Our sincere thanks for taking a few moments to post your review here on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate it. Our property is indeed breathtakingly beautiful, and I am so happy that you have shared in that. It definitely sets the mood for relaxation and serenity, which you have also found by visiting our resort. It is our staff's pride and pleasure to be able to take part in that as well, and thank you for your kind compliments.

We look forward to your return visit here to Grand Cascades Lodge, and until that time, safe travels.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from an amazing stay at a beautiful resort. A group of us went for an overnight stay to celebrate my niece's 40th birthday. We had a one room suite with a large and lovely balcony that had amazing views of the beautiful mountains of Sussex County. The staff and employees were extremely friendly and conscientious. We all enjoyed the many amenities offered at this "luxury" property which felt quite homey and welcoming. I look forward to a return visit very soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank judeye7

Dear Judeye,

Two Words: Thank you! For posting about your wonderful experience, for sharing your comments with our staff and with other travelers, and for choosing our resort for a very special birthday to enjoy with friends and with family. Thank you! We truly look forward to your return visit as well, and until then safe travels.

Rooms Division Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamburg
Quality Inn near Mountain Creek
Minerals Hotel
Minerals Hotel
#1 of 2 in Vernon
Mountain Creek - The Appalachian & Black Creek Sanctuary

Been to Grand Cascades Lodge? Share your experiences!