Hunterdon Hills Playhouse
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hampton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 17 June 2014

A group of us decided to make arrangements for a Thursday mid day show. Don't go for the food although the side salad and the deserts were wonderful. Be careful to control yourself at the desert buffet. Unfortunately the main course left a lot to be desired. The show was very entertaining and certainly worth the cost & time. The cost is quite reasonable given a full lunch & the show.

1  Thank Richard K
"dining area"
"alcoholic drinks"
"bathroom facilities are"
in 2 reviews
"left a lot to be desired"
in 2 reviews
"pot roast"
in 8 reviews
"our waiter"
"chocolate covered strawberries"
"gift shop"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 15 March 2014

My wife and I were there today for our 1st experience. We enjoyed "Busybody" immensely. The acting was very well done; would recommend this to anyone wanting a good laugh.....errrr, laughs. Even though we were seated near the back of the facility we could easily see and hear the actors. Good acoustics and the amplification was just right. Our table for 2 was in a nice section, but another table next to us was near where the staff placed the dirty dishes from our area....that would have been less pleasant. The chef's selection of roast turkey with stuffing was tasty but the stuffing portion was extremely small. In addition, sweet potato fries came with the meal--not a choice--with an additional side choice of mashed potatoes or potato pancakes. That makes 3 starches and no vegetable. Much more filling and a choice of a vegetables would have been much better. Our waitress told us that had we ordered the vegetable lasagna we would have gotten a side of steamed vegetables.....another poor combination. The chef definitely needs to do better pairing. Some of the desserts--quite a selection--were very good; others just ok. The breads, which you can also purchase at their bakery are excellent. The staff was very friendly but stressed because of the 5-6 bus loads of patrons that basically had to be served at one time. We will return but the food pairing is the one area that we hope will be improved.

3  Thank gray_but_not_old
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

The show was well done, competent acting - very nice job by John Amorosi. The food and service were awful. Fruit salad was literally 5 TINY pieces - less than 1/3 of one of those little lunch cups. Entree of pot roast was a few tiny slices of tough beef. Tasted microwaved. Two choices for sides - mashed or "potato pancakes". The potato pancakes were tiny little silver dollar sized pieces. They were more like fast food hash browns only smaller and dried out- little crunchy things. If you wanted apple sauce or sour cream (always served with potato pancakes) you had to run down your server and beg. Coffee was watered down. Service was just terrible in every way imaginable. Awful - Awful - Awful. Forget refills. Dessert bar had lots of variety of half dollar sized cakes, and cookies. They were OK, albeit the micro sized connoli shells were mushy. For featuring their bakery (store on site), the bread and baked goods were not evan as good as even grocery store baked goods. The only reason it got 3 stars was the job done by the actors - otherwise the place would rate a 1 or 2 star at best. For what it's worth, the place was full, and those attending were 99.9 % senior citizens bussed in in groups. Hey, I'm 59 and went with my wife and parents so for me to say older crowd, use you imagination. There was nothing wrong with the crowd, just I believe younger people might just die from boredom with the typical fare. I thimk its important to know they play to the demographics of typical cliental. Also, the place is in the middle of nowhere - we drove over an hour from civilization to get there. Grounds were smaller than imagined, but pretty - a gazebo overlooking a pond and a nice background of trees.

2  Thank Day_Tripper_2008
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My 1st visit to the playhouse was a good one. The room is set up quite nicely. There is ample food served. However, I had the prime ribs and it was tough. The show was quite good. However I was told that there would be music from the 40's, 50's, and 60's but most of it was from the 40's and that was before my time. I was disappointed.

I would consider going again.

1  Thank bjdm81655