“Excellent food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This place has a bit of everything. History with the penny bar, a romantic glow to it, and spectacular food to match anyone's palate. Rack of lamb was cooked to perfection and a sea bass entree was sublime. A must visit when in New Jersey

3  Thank Eatthisnow

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I've been coming here since it opened in the late 1990s. Kudos to the owner for refurbishing the place and sustaining the quality. The early-bird special offers excellent value, especially because you can buy a whole bottle of wine for the cost of less than two single glasses. Sometimes the limited early-bird courses don't quite mesh, though the salad is always a reliable appetizer choice that goes with everything. I've tried the Sunday brunch and it's good, but you're limited to a certain menu and the beverage choices don't include wine. Haven't sat out on the patio yet, but it's a nice addition.

Last night we enjoyed two entrees from the main menu (not early bird). The salmon is just excellent, a big piece with good mushrooms and seaweed salads served ginger-Asian style, along with nice whipped potatoes. Also good was the fettucine with vegetables in a light cream sauce. The strawberry shortcake wasn't a true shortcake, more like a pound cake, but it was tasty.

This restaurant has little rooms and lots of nooks and crannies. Some people don't like that; they feel it's claustrophobic, but I enjoy it -- it adds to the sense of history. The sound level makes Ivy Inn excellent for conversation; I'll choose it for business meals over others in the area. There's usually a light jazz-pop soundtrack playing and, on weekend nights, the great jazz stylings of cocktail pianist Jerry (I wish they'd invest in tuning the piano, though!).

2  Thank jerseyjazz
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Ivy Inn is a wonderful place for a quiet, special dinner or holiday get together. They have a good early price fix menu; but it is limited. Otherwise, a dinner is quite pricey.

1  Thank Eileen H
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went to the ivy inn for a bridal shower brunch today. We all had a great experience, I love how they allowed you to select your brunch from a menu instead of just setting up a buffet. We all tried different dishes at the table, I thought the quiche Lorraine was perfectly cooked and the goat cheese "croutons" were delicious! The French toast looked great too. My friends appetizer, the mushrooms with cognac and top with a puff pastry was delicious (I tried it as well). The staff was so friendly and personable and paid extra special attention to my friend, the bride. I took a peek at their dinner menu and we will be returning to try them out again!

3  Thank Tds1983
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The atmosphere and history holds your interest. The food was good. A former stage coach stop and Inn retains the charm but some upgrades are needed. The seating along the wall; the springs are starting to push up through the leather and the carpet needs replacing. We like the fire places it added to the charm. Not a big selection of food but it was tasty. I liked they had wine flights for tasting. Probably will return again, but won't be a regular there. The night we were there seemed like it was for an older crowd.

1  Thank Angela G