“Small romantic but can be for a great group”

Sofia's Mediterranean Grill
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gyros, Mousaka, Spanakopita, and all other things Greek, for the best casual Mediterranean dining experience in Northern NJ. BYOB!
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I found Sofia's on a drive through Has Heights. We saw a cute little Mediterranean resturant and decided to stop. We were seated right away and the service was on point. The decor is simple but elegant, the space is a little tight but they can make it work. My wife and I ordered different things I had a sliced chicken over orzo and my wife had the Gyro Platter. The prices were great an the food even better. It is a nice place for a nice dinner. Two weeks later we returned with a group of 12. We had wine, laughs, and fun and the food was great. Sofias is BYOB but the waiters do a great job taking care of buckets of ice and crowds. I highly recommend Sofias. I give Sofias an A! Check it out and don't be afraid to travel a little for it.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Called to make a reservation and was told first come first serve.
Arrived and was not warmly greeted but told 30 minutes in a very curt manner. The girls at the register looked like they hated to be there. A smile... a welcome..., a sorry we are busy would be nice. Two girls came in and were told 45 minutes to an hour. They left.
While waiting we were not acknowledged by what appeared to me the manager/owner who walked by us ( at least a dozen times) standing in the doorway. This place sure needs some customer service tips. He could have said, Hi, thanks for coming. We are a little backed up. Can I open your wine while waiting. Sorry for the wait. ANYTHING. No eye contact was made.
1 party of 4 and 3 parties of 2 were waiting.
Tables out side were wet up to accommodate a party of 4 and two tables of 2. They remained empty for over 15 minutes.
A gentleman complained his food had not arrived. His date was already done with her entrée.
A gyro platter with fries were sent back because it was cold. Perhaps the review in The Bergen Record brought an unexpected number to dinner and the kitchen could not handle it.

Acknowledge this!! Tell the customers. Go around an apologize. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR GRANTED IF YOU WANT TO BE HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL)

There are lots of excellent Greek in the area. What will bring us back to a restaurant is the feeling we get when we are there. Are they glad we are spending our evening and money to dine with you or are you doing us the favor. Sofia's is the later.

Note to owners: Go to Casual Habana in Hackensack and see how Benny interacts with the customers. You can learn a thing or two or three or four or......

Reviewed 6 June 2014

As said we are vegetarians, walked into this local restaurant to try our fare
The staff were polite and helpful in choosing the menu.
The spinach dip was so excellent with fried version of peta bread.loved it
Falafel was good and the grape leaf stuffed rice in the bread was superb
Finally did not enjoyed the rice pilaf as we felt it was bland and not to the imagination of the asians

1  Thank Srinath1222
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I am usually a meat-and-potatoes guy but Saturday evening my wife and I went to this restaurant with friends from the town. It's a BYOB so that helps keep down the cost. We started out with 2 appetizers, grape leaves stuffed with rice and flowered zucchini and eggplant. I have never eaten any of that food before and it was delicious. My wife and I both had the lamb chops as our entrée. They were very tasty and the accompanying potatoes were great. All in all, it was a very satisfying experience and I recommend it highly.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

For under $31, We Ordered 2 gyro "sandwiches", a souvlaki "sandwich", a sm. greek side salad, plus an orzo side. The "greek-fries"(which came with our sandwiches)were AWESOME!!
BUT most importantly, they remained CRISPY & had the perfect amount of "zing" to em' with a super-subtle lemon flavor. The souvlaki (pork) was cooked perfectly,-it wasn't dry or overcooked, (& didn't have a gross "burnt or charred flavor") The pita remained hot, intact & was not mushy! We truly had NO COMPLAINTS! - It arrived within 20min., (we are under 1 mile from the location) Everything was surprisingly HOT for a delivery! Based on what we ate, they have earned a chance at our repeat business for sure! TOTALLY WORTH TRYING!!