“A Good Place for Something Different”

Casa Maya Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in High Bridge
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
High Bridge, New Jersey
“A Good Place for Something Different”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

A decent place and something different. BYO. They make a good MOLE sauce. Casual dining. Have eaten here about 20 times over past five years....solid but not spectacular.

• Visited April 2014

New Jersey
“Great taste/value”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Not your Tex/Mex type of place.. Nice choices/flavor and a nice price. Some nice booths/tables for conversation. All tucked away in the little country town of High Bridge.Although having the train station(within walking distance).. "I suppose" makes for a nice commute by train.
A BYOB
[Saturday night and they did not suggest a reservation for just the two of us, but there was a line forming at ~7:30pm]

• Visited March 2014
Pottersville, NJ
“Best Mexican food for the money in the area”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We went to Casa Maya and had three really good meals. They bring you complementary chips and salsa right away which is nice especially if you are really hungry, It is good to go to Casa Maya if you are really hungry because the portions are so big. For starters two in our party had the quesadillas with chorizo which they both liked. The chorizo was very tasty. I had the camarones en salsa verde for my main course which was very good. The shrimp were big and there ware plenty of them. The vegetables were not recognizable but they still tasted very good. Another of our party had beef and pork fajitas which he really liked. My husband had a special steak and cheese burrito which he thought was good. We all took some of our meals home with us. The service is friendly and attentive. We usually eat here a couple of times a month. You really can't go wrong with anything you order at Casa Maya.

• Visited February 2014
“Prepare to bust the belt!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Love this place!!...but my weight would balloon if I lived any closer.

Very understated place right by the Great Swamp. Food is wonderful, plentiful, fresh and very reasonable. We go knowing we'll need to be rolled out through over eating.

Great service, lovely location, nice atmosphere.

Popular - reservations not taken - put your name on a list and go across the road and have a beer.

• Visited July 2013
Washington, New Jersey, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best on the East coast so far.”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Being born and raised in Mexico City, MEXICO (the country...not New Mexico) for the majority of my childhood and living on the West Coast for the majority of my adult life, I have to say that this is the first restaurant on the east coast that I have gone to that actually tastes authentic.

After reading the other reviews and imagining what it would cost me made me skeptical. We walked in and was helped almost immediately. We brought our own beer and the waiter brought us chilled glasses and a bottle opener. After that the service wasn't top notch but still satisfactory. Our food took a while longer than the couple who were seated next to us about 10 minutes after we did. Their food was served quicker. I think probably because I ordered Carnitas and my girlfriend ordered the Pollo Oaxaca, which generally (in my cooking experience) takes a bit longer to make.

The food was unbelievable. The portions exceeded our expectations and made up for the price we paid. I need not say more about the food.

The decorations were very nice too. Except for the ridiculous ceiling tiles, you could tell they made an effort to go above and beyond. The music may have been a bit louder than needed for the few people that were there and the lighting was just too low for a gloomy, rainy day.

Outside of the restaurant, I must say was breathtaking. Even with the rain, the area was beautiful. We decided to take a stroll through 513 (I think) and saw beautiful old homes as well as incredible landscapes.

This is worth going to at least once if not every month. Whoever wrote that the food is just okay does not know what real Mexican food is. They may as well go back to taco bell.

• Visited April 2013