“Good food if you don't mind poor service”
Review of Inlet Cafe

Inlet Cafe
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Highlands
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, International, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Kids, View, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Riverside Seafood Restaurant
“Good food if you don't mind poor service”
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Like other reviewers the service was slow. We had this big guy who's name I can't remember covering the table we eventually sat at. Even while sitting at the bar we could barely get the young girl bar tending to look up when we wanted to place orders, she only looked down at drink levels and not at people as if she was afraid of serving people. The food started out good at the bar with one of their clam dishes.

Priced seem a little high for the portion but I guess I'm paying for the view & location.

Once they sat us at a table on the deck with a nice view it went downhill. The guy never seemed to be in site, didn't know the answers to my questions and really didn't make it sound like he cared. I ordered the gluten free special which actually had the phrase gluten free in the name. I asked him to describe the other items that came with it and he ran away. Then about 30 min later when a runner brought the food to the table but the waiter hadn't been back even once to check on us the food looked strange. I couldn't identify anything on the plate based on the name or description. Why put a special on the menu, call it gluten free then but a cheesy rice ball rolled in bread crumbs next to it? I think that's what it was, even after I moved it to my husbands plate he couldn't figure it out from the flavor and textures. I ordered a side of fries but they brought this giant basket out and charged $5. He knew that was supposed to be my side dish and I told him I had to worry about gluten. I even had him double check the plate was mind before I even touched it. Again I asked the guy what was on my plate and all he said, your order. A few minutes later my husband needed something but this guy was nowhere in sight but all the other waiters were. When we were leaving, I paid the bill and tipped poorly as I wasn't sure what I'd eaten and he was barely there at all. I felt guilty for all of 1 minute; then we figured out he'd been disappearing to the parking lot to smoke. I'll never let that guy wait on us again between his poor service and the fact that I got sick later that night because my dish was anything but gluten free.

• Visited August 2013

Middletown, New Jersey
“Back & Better than ever”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Just always a relaxing, friendly, fun atmosphere! Is a bit pricey, but honestly, the portions are huge and the food is always excellent-we were thrilled to be back there this season when they re-opened in May and 3 other visits so far this summer. ALWAYS worth the wait :)

• Visited May 2013
pa.
“Expensive place with poor service”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Went to the Inlet Café for Dinner on a weekday night and it was pretty crowed. My husband and I were still able to get a table on the deck. Our waiter, Jonathon, asked what we would like to drink. We waited and waited for them to come. I noticed he was busy clearing off the big tables and when he saw that our appetizer had arrived (from a different server) he made a beeline to the bar. After returning with our watered down drinks (from the ice melting) he blamed the bartender for being too slow. Wow, what a way to throw a coworker under the bus!

A different server served us our main dishes. I had the stuffed flounder which was good and my husband had the sampler which was also good. Jonathon never stopped by our table to see if everything was ok or if we needed more drinks, which we did. I had to flag him down as he was flying passed us to order more drinks. After a few minutes he literally slammed our drinks on the table and ran off to take care of the bigger tables. I guess he was more interested waiting on the bigger tables because that means bigger tip.

After dropping over $150.00 on drinks and meals I would’ve expected better service.
In the end, the view was nice and food was good but nothing spectacular. We might go back, just hope we have a different server.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank anitabeach
“Beautiful views, good food”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Our party of 7 was well taken care if by our waitstaff in a very sunny veranda. The inlet clams I ordered were great and the others in our party loved their Cuban sandwich, hamburger, quesadilla, and clam chowder. Only the veggies sandwich wasn't up to par as the veggies were cooked enough but that probably what they get for ordering it in a seafood place. The two desserts We had, tiramisu and key lime pie, were all very good and tasted homemade. The best part was the beautiful view.

Visited August 2013
Montclair, New Jersey
“Went two nights in a row!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have loved this place for years, and went down this summer fearful that it might be closed. Nope! Despite 5 feet of water after Sandy, they have renovated, and food and drinks delish. Service a little spotty - but friendly and food great. The wait for a table can be long, so plan on going off times and you'll be fine. The mojitos are great!

Visited July 2013