“Lovely hotel - superior staff.”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Athens, Georgia
“Lovely hotel - superior staff.”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Just walk into the lobby, notice the scent? Infusion of lovely, mild scents in lobby, elevators, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had a spectacular sunrise view of the Hudson River and NYC skyline. Very clean and great service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the W scent as you entered our beautiful hotel and was able to take in the sunset from your guest room. Hoboken provides a wonderful view of the New York City skyline and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed it. Again, many thanks for sharing and we hope to see you again! – Anna M., General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The hotel was in a great location for both Hoboken and NYC exploring. All rooms have a view of the NYC skyline and it is located on the waterfront where you can walk or sit and enjoy the view. The Path train depot is only a block or two away and it is very easy to use as well as being really inexpensive. You can buy a metro card which ends up costing you less than $2/trip at the machine in the Path depot and refill it when you need to. The Concierge was very helpful and the staff as a whole were very friendly. One thing I would suggest should be changed is that wireless internet should be free in all rooms. You can go down to the lounge and use complimentary wireless but my preference is to do my emailing in my hotel room for which I was billed $19.95 for 48 hours. Also we were charged $2 for calling an 800# which is a free call and this surprised me. With the cost of the rooms I am surprised they charge for incidentals like this. We found the rooms to be overwhelming with the smell of some sort of spray as well. I would suggest that should be reduced as it is almost sickening. We did not eat at the hotel but did go to Washington Street and tried several of their restaurants. Very good food and only a few blocks. The hotel does offer a free guest ride to any location in Hoboken but we did not use this service since we prefer to walk.

Room Tip: From other critiques I read it is a good idea to stay far away from the hotel's bar and dancing...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 6162
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time share your experience on Trip Advisor. I’m happy to hear you took advantage of the PATH and the close proximity to New York City as well as all that the city of Hoboken has to offer in terms of dining and entertainment. Please don’t hesitate to request a Hypo-Allergenic room on your next visit. Our W scent is a brand standard but we do offer Hypo-Allergenic rooms for our guests. Again, many thanks for sharing your feedback regarding your W Hoboken experience as guest satisfaction is very important to us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! – Anna M., General Manager
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 5 April 2012

With quite a few W’s in New York City, it can be difficult to pick which one to stay at considering all are in great locations and represent the brand very well. The W Hoboken is not in New York City, but you might just not care about that after staying here. This wasn’t my first stay here, and it definitely won’t be my last. For one thing, you can’t beat that view of Manhattan. One of the reasons why I like to stay here is just for that view alone.

I arrived on a Sunday for a quick two-night stay, and was greeted at the Welcome Desk by a very nice Welcome Agent who made check-in incredibly easy. She noted my SPG Platinum status, appreciated my business, and informed me of the room upgrade to a Fantastic Suite on the sixth floor. One thing a guest will notice is that wonderful scent of candles in the lobby, I don’t know what it is but every single time I’ve been here I can’t help but notice it. The Fantastic Room is a nice large room with a separate sitting area from the bedroom, and each room has the most breathtaking view of Manhattan! Since the suites and some corner rooms have balconies, it’s really nice to wake up in the morning and enjoy a cup of coffee outside while watching all the action on the Hudson with various boats and ferries. You can even see a couple of the other W’s from here. The room itself was in great condition and I enjoyed the personal greeting letter from the GM of the hotel. You don’t see that very often at hotels these days, so it I found this to be a very nice personal touch.

For my dining needs the first night, I wanted a nice, quick meal from someplace good in Manhattan. The Concierge at the hotel, Quimby Hightower, was extremely helpful in providing me with a couple options in the city that were conveniently located right off the PATH stops. I went back up to my room to take a phone call when he called my room and suggested I stay within Hoboken this evening as the weather outside was becoming worse, and I agreed after taking a look out the window. How many staff members will make the effort to do something like this? It’s not very often, and I saw this simple phone call as a sign that the hotel cares about its guests very much. I chose to dine at Zylo, which is the W’s signature Tuscan Steakhouse. I found the food and service to be of high quality, and although this is an upscale steakhouse, the prices were actually very decent compared to some other fine steakhouses in NYC.

The next day I needed a dining option for a business partner in the city, and Quimby provided me with a couple options, and then sent me an e-mail later in the day with several more that matched the type of cuisine I was looking for. I found the communication to be excellent and he was there for pretty much anything that I needed. I’m beginning to think that W concierges are some of the best in their respective cities, and Quimby definitely showed this. I highly recommend asking for him when you stay here as he has come through on even some of the smallest things.

Checkout the next day was early in the morning and was quick and easy. This is one of the properties I hate to leave because the all around service is just solid. No, it’s not in NYC like the other W’s, but it doesn’t need to be. The PATH station is a 5-minute walk from the hotel and it’s actually a scenic walk that offers views of Manhattan. From the PATH station to mid-town it is less than a 15-minute train ride, so to me the location is just as convenient as the others. The staff has always been friendly, and the service has been consistent every single time. The view of Manhattan is spectacular, and even the standard rooms here a little larger than the tiny rooms in NYC. The rates at this hotel are great as well, and very much worth it. I stayed here for the first time when this was a brand new property, and I’ll be staying here time and time again. As a fan of W’s, I think this is the best W in NYC and it’s not even in NYC, but that’s just how good this property is. I look forward to being back here again in the very near future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank stylo4444
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor! Your comments are much appreciated and clearly shows us that your escape with us was a memorable one! Your feedback gives us a great chance to celebrate with our Talent team members, and we will not neglect to put Quimby in the spotlight!
I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed ZYLO and everything that the city of Hoboken has to offer.
Again, many thanks for sharing your feedback. When your travels bring you back to the area we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken! – Anna M., General Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I went to a wedding at this hotel and was extremely disappointed in the food and in the hotel service people. They were unprofessional and seemed indifferent to my requests. The food was cold and there was no coffee in the room. Being a SPG member, I thought that the service would be outstanding especially since the price of the rooms was rather high and in addition, there was a steep price for parking overnight. The staff was not as attentive as they could have been and no one seemed to know where anything was. The prices were extremely high. This is not the service I expect at a high end hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the Hudson River so that you can see the New York City Skyline
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your W Hoboken experience. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We take our guest feedback seriously and I can assure you that I have looked into the issues you kindly brought to our attention. I’m sorry the food quality was not to your satisfaction. I must also apologize for the customer service you experienced while you were a guest here. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to address this with my team. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and I must apologize for falling short of that goal. Our guest satisfaction is very important to us and we hope to welcome you back to W Hoboken so we can show you what W Hoboken is really about. Again, many thanks for sharing. – Anna M., General Manager
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Great service, great rooms, amazing skyline views, nice balconies, great running path along Hudson.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed many of the great advantages we offer at W Hoboken: the convenience to New York City, the amazing views, and our wonderful hotel staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken! – Anna M., General Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I thought I'd break in my W experience at the Hoboken, NJ location as I have been staying with Sheraton's, and Westin's all of my life. I was an Airline Employee brat and now an Airline employee myself. I have herd a great deal of the W brand but have not tried it out until now. I checked in to the W Hoboken late at night on March 29th for a quick 2 night stay. This location is on the Hoboken waterfront with beautiful views across the Hudson to the Manhattan, New York Cityscape. Check-in staff was cordial and business like. I had booked a "Spectacular" room type and was given the 16th floor Room 1615 which made me happy. The room size is just right for two with a King Size bed although I could swear it was a Queen yet very very comfortable and slept soundly. The room itself was ample, clean and trendy if necessarily spartan in furnishings with a swivel circular shaped couch "which was cool" and made for gazing out the floor to ceiling windows across the Hudson all the more comfortable. Bathroom was clean and modern although be careful; as the Shower over Tub has a half glassed partition that does not quite fully enclose the area when taking a shower thus it can create a good sized puddle on the floor. Room Service: Now this is where I tend to go a little crazy. I love Room Service however, I'll never learn as I continue to suffer the sticker shock when the bill comes. Room Service charges are high and is an unfortunate reality of the business today although each Hotel brand has varying degrees of reasonableness or exorbitance. The W tacks on a $5 delivery fee on top of a 22% service charge so keep this in mind. The food in Room Service was good overall. Breakfast was tasty and the coffee good the food was warm but could've been more-so. I always give the Hotel Hamburgers a try and I must say the W's version was delicious so I had it twice !! Also tried the Pizza (mmmmm might stick with the Burger). Now, while I may have griped mildly regarding the Room Service charges the food prices themselves were in line and moderate with the exception of soft drinks which are overpriced. Watch for the well stocked and coolness of the Munchie Bar and drinks in your fridge another source of high sticker shock but again in-line with the reality of the business. I was able to make it downstairs a couple of times to the Bar or "Living Room" as it's called very comfortable seating area and just plain cool to be in. Cocktails are pricey but in-line with upscale Hotel standards oh and they make a great Bloody Mary and Martini's with excellent olives. Now, over a Day and a half I managed to spend about a thousand dollars with a majority of the dollars spent on Room Service and "Living Room" bar bills. You can certainly moderate your Hotel behavior and be well above or below what I spent nevertheless, I think you'll enjoy this W and I will make it a point to stay here again if mostly to test consistency and to try out a "Cool Corner Room" if I can get one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TcMarin
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on TripAdvisor! I’m glad we could make your first W experience a truly memorable stay. Guest satisfaction and customer service is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear we impressed you while you took advantage of all that our hotel offers. If you enjoyed your Spectacular Room, you will truly be WOW-ed by our Cool Corner Rooms! When your travels bring you back to the area, we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken! – Anna M., General Manager
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I decided to try this W out, as I'm a loyal W guest. As an SPG Platinum( I made Platinum status twice this year), I didn't receive a room upgrade, although when I made my reservation on the day of my arrival, there were suites available ( if I would've known that I wasn't going to get upgraded, I would've just booked a suite). At check-in, the woman at the desk, who was nice, offered me 2 complimentary cocktail passes, but since I don't drink, she said that she'd send up 2 Diet Cokes to my room instead ( which never happened).
When I asked for a bucket of ice, at 2:30PM, it took over an hour to receive it.
When the gentleman at the Whatever Whenever desk found out that my birthday is this week, and I've been travelling as a birthday celebration( a big deal for me this year since I spent a major part of the year helping sick relatives and friends), he was planning something "special" for my birthday. I even overheard him saying something about getting the "paperwork" done for something over the phone. Of course, nothing came out of it. He actually kind of got me excited, since Ws always thrill. Another let down.
The room was a Wonderful Room category, but compared to other Ws I've been too, this Wonderful Room felt a little tight and a little conservative. Ws are suppose to be far from conservative. The only benefit of the room was the view! I was facing the building across the street, but when looking to my 1 o'clock, I had a nice view of the Hudson and Manhattan. In fact, I actually was able to see the W Downtown from my room.
The walls were paper thin. I could actually here the people walking in the room above me, as well as one of my neighbours doing something in their closet.
Also, the AC in my room would work for about an hour, then stop for the next couple of hours. I didn't bother calling to get it fixed because if a bucket of ice takes over an hour to get, who know's how long it would take to get maintenance up!
Staff wise, I don't have anything negative nor positive to say. Compared to other Ws, the staff didn't really give me the W service that has kept me a true W fan.
Also, as an SPG Platinum, I'm entitled to free internet. When I received the bill, they charged me TWICE for internet use! Hopefully they took that off my bill AFTER I brought it to their attention, but again, it seems that inter-staff communication might not be one of their strong points...
All in all, the room rates really aren't that much different from the rates of the Ws in NYC. So, if you'll be spending your time in NYC and want the true W experience, there's no point in staying at this property. I would recommend staying in NYC.
While it was a decent hotel, I'm not sure if I'll give it another try. When I stay at a W, I want W service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JakeSG
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your W Hoboken experience. My sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. At W, we do strive to uphold the highest levels of service and I must apologize for falling short of that goal. I’m sorry there were no suites available at the time of check-in as well as your Diet Cokes and birthday surprise which were never delivered. This is certainly not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to address this with my team. My sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances you experienced. I know that’s not what you expect when you stay with us for rest and relaxation. Please don’t hesitate to contact our Whatever/Whenever department if you encounter any Engineering issues in your room as guest satisfaction is very important to us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the views from your Wonderful room. Again, many thanks for sharing your feedback. When travels bring you back to the area, we do look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken. – Anna M., General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
The Jane
The Jane
#302 of 467 in New York City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,341 reviews

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!