“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very nice, very detail oriented hotel. I didn't get the much hyped about NYC view but that's expected as I usually get the Priceline/Hotwire rooms. Definitely the one of the best hotels in the sixth borough. Hyatt Jersey City is on a similar level. If you're paying straight up, I'd check both hotels prices and rule from there.

Location is excellent, can't stress that enough. I wasn't here for New York, but if you are, just hop on the PATH to 33rd/Manhattan Mall. Probably about a 15 min ride. If you're looking for a nice place for dinner I'd suggest "The Cuban Restaurant".

Definitely recommend, will be back. Warning, they do charge/hold your card $150 upfront. I rarely experience such a hold upfront, but I don't visit decadent hotels often. (Hyatt Jersey City did not charge that.)

Room Tip: Get a New York view. The Jersey side is not bad, but if you're paying straight up do not except...
Green Features: They have recycling compartments available in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your W Hoboken experience! Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed W Hoboken and the Hoboken area. I appreciate your feedback with regards to our Authorization policy. While this is a standard policy at all Starwood hotels and most other hotels, I must apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you again for your review. We hope to continue impressing you on many more future visits! Hope see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Having been to NYC enough times, the glamour of Manhattan has faded on me. I still love the city. But the crowdedness and noise started to get to me. So for my most recent visit, I decided to stay a little bit further out for a change. W Hoboken turned out to be more than what I have expected.

The location: the hotel is located in what I think is the best part of Hoboken. It's safe, it's trendy, it's small enough that you don't need a car to get to places yet big enough to give you lots options in terms of restaurants and shops. The PATH train station is just a 5 min walk from the hotel. From there, it's a 15 min train ride (that costs you 2.5 dollars) to the heart of Manhattan. It's actually a more convenient location than a lot of places in Manhattan. Also, for those of you who love running, the trail is right in front of the hotel. You can't asked for a better location.

The view: I was upgraded to a corner suite with the view of Manhattan skyline. Let me just say that the view is to die for, period.

The service: in general I have never had bad service at any W hotels. W Hoboken offers an experience that's consistent with the chain's standard. I love coming back to the hotel room to a note from management asking whether there is anything they could do to make me feel at home, or complimentary snacks and such. When you are away from home, small gestures like that go a long way.

Overall, Great experience! I am already going back for a second time and I am excited about it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your fantastic review of the W Hoboken! We are glad you discovered us, and that we could welcome you to Hoboken as a convenient alternative to New York City. To hear we have impressed you is so gratifying and I will ensure to share this great feedback with our team. Please consider us as your retreat next time you are in the area!
Bristol, Rhode Island
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and have no complaints about anything. The hotel itself is very nice; clean and modern. Pay attention to the mats inside the elevator, as they change with the time of day (Good Morning, Good Afternoon, etc). Our room ("Wonderful King") was clean and comfortable, and it was very quiet during our stay (I actually slept - something that doesn't usually happen on vacations!). The staff was very friendly, and the view was beautiful. It was in a nice area of Hoboken, just steps from a bike path/boardwalk park area where you could look over the the Hudson and see the NYC skyline. Also very close to Carlos Bakery and the PATH train to NYC. The valet parking for $35 per 24 hours was very convenient, especially since parking is minimal throughout the city. We received a call during our 2 days to make sure everything was going well and we didn't need anything - nice touch. We definitely enjoyed our stay and would stay here again in the future. Thank you to the staff, who were very friendly!

Room Tip: Try to get a room over the 3rd floor that faces toward NYC for the best views!
Green Features: They had place to recycle in the room - very convenient!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful W Hoboken experience. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel’s location, views from your guestroom, and service received from our talent team. We certainly do pride ourselves on personalizing our guest’s experience and I am glad to hear you appreciated these special touches during your visit. I will certainly share your praises with our team as this precisely the type of rewarding feedback we strive for. Hope to welcome you back again soon!
Oranjestad, Aruba
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Very nice welcome, from the door to reception, beautiful room with super quality furniture, amazing view on Manhattan located in nice area with restaurants and promenade on the river. For this quality hotel and location price was very fair.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of your W Hoboken experience. I am so happy to hear you were WOWed with our location, and service received during your stay with us. Hope to welcome you back again soon for another memorable experience!
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed for two nights in April, fantastic view of the NYC skyline, clean, and very easy to get to PATH trains to NYC. A little pricey but your paying for the convenience. Located near the busy part of Hoboken for food and drinks so that was a plus.

Room Tip: request to be away from the construction side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2014

If you venture to the heart of downtown Hoboken, your one and only choice for a hotel is the W. Located along the banks of the Hudson river, you can step outside and walk along the beautiful foot path that hugs the river and admire the fantastic views of NYC. A short two block walk in the other direction takes you to Washington Blvd., the main street of Hoboken that is lined with bars, restaurants, shops, little markets and Carlo's Bakery (The Cake Boss home).

I hotel staff was very friendly and professional. The room was clean and comfortable. The lobby and common areas seemed to be a bit dark but well presented. Since my room was on the 18th floor, I had no issues with the late night music coming from the clubs located on the hotel main floor and second floor.

My main disappointment and surprise was the price and the bill. Since this is the only hotel spot in the area, you are stuck paying $300 plus per night. That's just too much for what you are getting. There are much better value options on the other side of the river in NYC. However, the real bummer occurred when I noticed the charge on my credit card was higher than the bill that was slipped under my door. It turns out that the W decided to charge me for raiding the mini bar (which I did not touch) and for parking (I did not have a car). An unpleasant phone call with their accounting department was needed to clear this up. As a result, I score this property as "average" at best and advise future guests to check their credit card charges with the bill.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience on Trip Advisor. Guest satisfaction is very important to us so thank you for sharing both your positive feedback as well as areas for your improvement. This is greatly appreciated as we are always looking to improve upon our guest's experiences. Please accept my apologies for the billing discrepancy and any inconvenience you experienced. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken soon for a more perfect experience!
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Wow! This hotel consistently exceeds expectations! First of all, the views of the Manhattan skyline are drop dead great! Additionally, at every point of contact,each employee provided amazing service. They conveyed a sincere interest in me as a guest. The bed was very comfortable with quality linens. I was treated to a wonderful upgrade as a Spg platinum member. I love this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your W Hoboken experience! We are always so happy to hear when our SPG Platinum members enjoy their stay with us and I'm so glad you were so impressed with the service received, and spectacular views ! We certainly love to WOW you! Hope to welcome you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel
#5 of 13 in Jersey City
Candlewood Suites Jersey City
Candlewood Suites Jersey City
#6 of 13 in Jersey City

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!