“The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Clifton, VA
“The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife is a native New Yorker which in large part is why we love to come to "The City" at least once or twice a year to catch a show, see some sights, enjoy the vibe and visit family. It always made sense to me for us to stay in the city on thise trips. Last year, my wife took our teenage daughter and her friend there on a separate trip and she ended up staying at the W Hoboken. Since they enjoyed it so much, she booked it for our trip. I'm so glad she did because it enabled me to enjoy the city even more than I had before because we had the added benefit of a phenomenal panoramic view of the skyline from the patio of our room. It was great to wake up to and even better to see at night. Obviously, it's something you can't experience on the other side of the Hudson. The room was smallish but there was plenty of space for the two of us and all of the amenities were what I'd expect from a high class hotel. I'll say the same for the staff, all of whom were very professional. We also like to enjoy a spa treatment when we travel and we both got extra long massages and other treatments from their Bliss Spa. Getting in and out of the city was as easy as could be. Mainly, we used the PATH which was great when we went to the 9/11 Memorial because it took us right there. The terminal was about two blocks away. The icing on the cake was the area of Hoboken where the hotel is located. It was fabulous. Again, with my wife being a native New Yorker, she was familiar with Hoboken. She couldn't stop raving about how it had been improved over the years and especially after Sandy. It was just plain great along the waterfront and in the shopping district. Like the rest of it, it was a hop, skip and a jump away from the hotel. The night life was lively and rich. Talk about a vibe! The entire neighborhood felt fresh, diverse, safe and friendly. I expect we'll be staying at the W Hoboken on future vists. Suffice it to say, it suited our tastes just fine, thank you!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 69dude
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your amazing feedback from your W Hoboken experience! I'm thrilled you discovered a hidden gem on the other side of the river. It's always so rewarding when our guests are able explore the Hoboken area and all it has to offer. Thanks again for the wonderful review which I will certainly share with my team. Hope to welcome you back again on your next trip to NYC.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

stayed at this hotel for 4 nights as part of trip to usa for milestone birthdays. the hotel is excellent, staff very friendly and helpful, location and views are amazing. Hoboken a well kept secret from UK tourists. Far better to stay here and 'commute' by ferry or PATH to the delights of Manhattan than to stay there. Expensive but worth it. wonderful to wake each morning to a view of the city.
This was a better hotel than the one in Weehawken which we also stayed at during this trip and was worth the additional cost
Love the 'Bliss' bathroom products provided

Room Tip: worth paying for a view of manhattan
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thanks for sharing your W Hoboken experience! Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear you discovered W Hoboken and the Hoboken area. I’m also happy to hear you took advantage of the PATH station and the easy access it provides to New York City. We hope to see you again on your next celebratory visit!
Versailles, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have stayed in top hotels the world over and this room wins the award for most unusable room in my experience. Yes, the room is small, but small rooms in Tokyo and Beijing are still usable.

There should be a law that hotel room designers are required to live one month in the rooms they design. Then they might not clutter every flat space in the room with useless junk, gadgets, "for sale" items and needless space eaters. Next, they should be forced set in the chair for at least 15 minutes to see if their butt goes to sleep or if you can reach the keyboard on the desk. Try completing an important document until 2 am, in a chair that won a design award but is poorly proportioned. Most people in hotels are there due to work responsibilities.

How about lights? You can not turn on a decent light to see your way into this room and reading is almost impossible. The closet light is blinding but does not shine on anything hung in the closet. After 3 days I found a kill switch that had turned off all the bedside lights. Why?

Although the artistic design of the room may be pleasing to some people, form should follow function and this room fails on all accounts. Even the toilet tissue holder, an essential item, seems to be an after thought.

But it is not all bad. The bed is good, the shower great, and the location is terrific.

I am sure this is a very profitable property for the hotel chain, but it is not an ambassador that would encourage me to visit another W hotel soon. It's total focus on profit, is off putting.
When you pay over $300/night for a room, Internet access should be included free, like it is in most coffee shops. Soon they may be charging for water to flush the toilets. Ooops, I may have just given them a new profit scheme!

Remember, most people that have enough money to afford such a pricey hotel, have it because they spend it wisely.

I did like the green soap in the room. Unfortunately, there are no other hotels in this section of Hoboken to keep them competitive. Compared to other chains of luxury hotels, this is a very fair review.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, that is 95% of the hotels attributes. Definitely get on a high floors. O...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for providing such a detailed account of your experience. Guest satisfaction is so important to us here at W Hoboken and I am truly disheartened that the guestroom assigned fell short of your expectations on so many different levels.
You may rest assured I will be sharing your experience with our design team, as it is precisely feedback like yours that allows us the opportunity to continually monitor guest expectations. Thank you again for your review.
Solon, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed at the W in Hoboken, NJ for soccer NY Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers. Darlington Nagbe plays for the Portland Timbers and I am glad to say I was involved with him since he was about 8 years old, so the family made the trip from Cleveland ,OH to see the game. Selection of hotel was based also on the Team being there. All I can say is that my stay was excellent, the hotel reception, valet parking are true professionals. Our view of the Hudson river was breathtaking. The living space was both roomy and luxurious. The price point is high but also is the value. Recommend highly.

Room Tip: Ask for Hudson River view .
Green Features: Linen reuse practice. Water saving showers. Energy savings lighting.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GMWHoboken, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your outstanding stay with us on W Hoboken! I’m so glad you discovered us and had such an amazing experience! Your feedback gives us a wonderful chance to celebrate with our Talent team members and I truly appreciate you taking the time to highlight the service received in your review. When your travels bring you back to the area, we look forward to welcoming you back to W Hoboken!
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

As soon as you enter you are greeted by a very friendly staff. The décor transforms you as if your in a club. Great bartender and waitress. I checked into Suite # 908, it's a one bedroom with a living room and a balcony. You have GREAT views of Mid-Town, World Financial, and Wall Street. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I myself will stay there again. Great Job W Hotel Hoboken!

Room Tip: Ask for Suite # 908 it is a one bedroom with a balcony and GREAT views!
Green Features: W Hoboken environmentally-friendly practices are up to standards as any five star hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor! We are always so happy to hear when our guests enjoy their stay with us! We certainly love to WOW you! I’m delighted you enjoyed the spectacular views, and super thrilled that my team was able to impress you from the moment you arrived. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very nice, very detail oriented hotel. I didn't get the much hyped about NYC view but that's expected as I usually get the Priceline/Hotwire rooms. Definitely the one of the best hotels in the sixth borough. Hyatt Jersey City is on a similar level. If you're paying straight up, I'd check both hotels prices and rule from there.

Location is excellent, can't stress that enough. I wasn't here for New York, but if you are, just hop on the PATH to 33rd/Manhattan Mall. Probably about a 15 min ride. If you're looking for a nice place for dinner I'd suggest "The Cuban Restaurant".

Definitely recommend, will be back. Warning, they do charge/hold your card $150 upfront. I rarely experience such a hold upfront, but I don't visit decadent hotels often. (Hyatt Jersey City did not charge that.)

Room Tip: Get a New York view. The Jersey side is not bad, but if you're paying straight up do not except...
Green Features: They have recycling compartments available in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for sharing your W Hoboken experience! Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed W Hoboken and the Hoboken area. I appreciate your feedback with regards to our Authorization policy. While this is a standard policy at all Starwood hotels and most other hotels, I must apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you again for your review. We hope to continue impressing you on many more future visits! Hope see you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Having been to NYC enough times, the glamour of Manhattan has faded on me. I still love the city. But the crowdedness and noise started to get to me. So for my most recent visit, I decided to stay a little bit further out for a change. W Hoboken turned out to be more than what I have expected.

The location: the hotel is located in what I think is the best part of Hoboken. It's safe, it's trendy, it's small enough that you don't need a car to get to places yet big enough to give you lots options in terms of restaurants and shops. The PATH train station is just a 5 min walk from the hotel. From there, it's a 15 min train ride (that costs you 2.5 dollars) to the heart of Manhattan. It's actually a more convenient location than a lot of places in Manhattan. Also, for those of you who love running, the trail is right in front of the hotel. You can't asked for a better location.

The view: I was upgraded to a corner suite with the view of Manhattan skyline. Let me just say that the view is to die for, period.

The service: in general I have never had bad service at any W hotels. W Hoboken offers an experience that's consistent with the chain's standard. I love coming back to the hotel room to a note from management asking whether there is anything they could do to make me feel at home, or complimentary snacks and such. When you are away from home, small gestures like that go a long way.

Overall, Great experience! I am already going back for a second time and I am excited about it!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your fantastic review of the W Hoboken! We are glad you discovered us, and that we could welcome you to Hoboken as a convenient alternative to New York City. To hear we have impressed you is so gratifying and I will ensure to share this great feedback with our team. Please consider us as your retreat next time you are in the area!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
The Jane
The Jane
#308 of 467 in New York City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,318 reviews

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!