“The W Hoboken is the perfect hotel for trips to New York City”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I cannot say enough about how impressed we were with our decision to stay at the W Hoboken for our trip to New York City! I was amazed before our trip even began with the professionalism and the willingness to go the extra mile for us that I received from the concierge at the W. She helped us with many questions regarding getting from the Newark Airport and then set up to have a car from the hotel pick us up which ended up being the best idea. From the moment we pulled up to the hotel we were impressed. The moment you enter the doors which were opened for us every time by a very friendly doorman you see that you are in a very welcoming environment. The lighting, the smells the sounds all welcome you there especially after a very hectic day in the city. The front desk personnel were very attentive and professional at all times. I found this hotel perfect not only for the luxury it presented but also for the fact that its location was just perfect to allow you to get away each day from the hustle of the city and be able to "wind down" at the end of the evening and actually rest up for the next day. The views of the city each night was breathtaking from our room and it was only on the 3rd floor. It is only about a 10 minute subway ride from Hoboken into the city. I literally cannot come up with anything that I would change about the way this hotel runs or takes care of its guest. If I ever have the luxury of taking another trip to NYC I will not have to even think of where I will stay. The W Hoboken is a fantastic hotel and gets a five star rating in my opinion.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

We’re glad we were able to impress you! I’m happy our Concierge team was able to help coordinate your trip, we will be sure to put them in the spotlight. We look forward to welcoming you back so you can relax with us during your next NYC trip! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 12 October 2010

We stayed at the W Hotel in Hoboken for two nights. The hotel is new and very modern, and has a night club vibe the minute you walk into the lobby. We had a "cozy room" which had a view of Hoboken. The room was on the small side, but did have a nice view as well as a very comfortable bed, soft linens and perfect pillows. The service is outstanding. Our only complaint was that it was a little loud on a Saturday night, and we could hear guests talking out in the hall and opening and closing their room doors--it would help if the W put hydraulic arms on the doors so that they don't slam so loudly. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay and found it easy to catch the Train over to Manhattan. We also discovered that Hoboken was a charming little town with several great places to eat.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Definitely go for the rooms with views of the river and Manhattan, as they are spectacular, day and night. Easy access to the PATH trains to Manhattan. The parks along the river were great for walking and people watching and there's even a free hotspot in the nearest park. Close to good to great eateries (but nothing very fancy) and other useful shops, including a new and upscale grocery store, just across the street. The concierge desk procured a last minute hair appointment for me, and I had a very nice experience at Prismz, where they were kind and knowledgeable and were able to match my hair color perfectly.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

So happy to hear you enjoyed our views! I’m glad you were able to enjoy the river walk, shops and restaurants in Hoboken! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 23 September 2010

W Hoboken in Hoboken, New Jersey, is the best of New York City without the “madding crowd” we Southerners dislike about the big city! The room itself and the staff were wonderful; the food at Zylo could not have been any better; the second floor bar was a perfect spot for relaxing and conversation—not so noisy that one could not carry on a conversation as in bars in NYC.

And the access to NYC was fantastic! I took the PATH to see a Broadway show; it was my first time to navigate the subway system alone. It was a piece of cake!

I will stay at W Hoboken on all my trips to NYC!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your W Hoboken experience and were able to check out our restaurant, Zylo as well as our Chandelier Room bar. We’re happy to be the perfect location for you to easily get into (and out of) the city! –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 21 September 2010

The hotel ist really beautiful. We had a room with an amazing view of the skyline of NYC. The restaurant and bar scene of hoboken is one of the best I have ever visited. Go and try Cucharamama!
In the hotel you are close to the city but not inside...for us this was a real advantage as it was very quiet, reasonably priced and providing all the comfort you camn think of ... and every morning and evening we could enjoy the beautiful skyline of NYC!!! The Path Train runs to Penn Station or Ground Zero and takes about 20 Minutes one way.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

We’re so glad to hear you loved our hotel! I’m happy to hear you got to see all that Hoboken has to offer. We can’t wait to welcome you back to enjoy our views some more. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 19 September 2010

First, cleaning guidelines needs re-haul and service/hospitality needs a major review.

Room. When we first arrived there was a dirty old tee shirt in the closet along with old plastic wrapper tossed all over. The tee shirt was still there when we checked out. There was also an old sales tag tossed behind the chair. In addition, there was a big old greasy mark like a face pressed against the mirror. Gross. While waiting for the elevator, I noticed that there was old food or "something else" lodged on the elevator button that was still there the day we checked out.

Restaurant. Needs help. When I arrived the napkin was dirty and so were some of the utensils. The upholistery on the chair had a big sneaker print on it. Like someone stepped on it. Gross. However, the staff at Breakfast were really nice and friendly. But, my experience with dinner was horrendous. First, the waiter was really unattentive and RUDE. He never asked how dinner was or if we needed anything. At one point, he just dropped the dessert menus in front of us and walked away. Ok fine. Then we paid in cash and asked for change for an extra $20. He brought us the change for the $20 but never brought back the change for the dinner. Either he decided to take his own tip or just forgot. Either way I was so irritated we left a few extra dollars and left.

Front desk staff. I really hope management is reading this. Staff really needs help on their professionalism. I found them to be rather aloof and unfriendly. I got this vibe that they rather be anywhere else but there. When I went to look for the concierge she was busy giggling with another staff member and seem rather "preoccupied." I gave up and asked the valet for help. His reaction seemed to suggest that I wasn't the first guest to ask for his help. I was speaking to a few other guests and they all shared the sentiment (ie all fake smiles and no help). Overall, at this price point ($400+) in Hoboken?? I would expect superior service and superior guest service.

Other minor issues. No extra expected toiletries (ie toothbrush etc). So, if you forgot something you have to run to the local drugstore and pick it up. Tsk tsk. However, the Bliss products were great. But, that's all you get.

Positives. The views are spectacular.

If you are looking for professional service look elsewhere. It seems like a bunch of recent college grads working a frat party work here.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We take all of our guest comments seriously and I have addressed the issues you raised. Our Director of Style has looked into your concerns and I assure you, this is not the norm at W Hoboken, but the exception. In the future if you forgot some of your toiletries, please feel free to call down to our Whatever/Whenever department and we can certainly provide you with items like toothbrushes and toothpaste, etc. We do hope we’ll have a chance to welcome you back to W Hoboken to show you a more perfect hotel experience. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 15 September 2010

Lovely hotel with great service. Very convenient to travel into Manhattan by ferry or drive the Holland Tunnel and prices are much cheaper than staying in Manhattan directly. Drove to Liberty State Park (about 15-20 minutes without much traffic) and then took the ferry to Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. Very Easy. Concierge was great with directions and recommendations for dinner. Hoboken is full of great little restaurants. Hotel room and bathroom were exceptionally clean. Views of the Manhattan skyline were stunning. Staff very accommodating with any request. Only ate one meal there - Sunday brunch - it was superb.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and had a chance to try some of the restaurants in town as well as brunch in Zylo! We hope to welcome you back soon. –Anna M., General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
#6 of 14 in Jersey City
Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Courtyard Jersey City Newport
#4 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!