“First time there, will be back for sure!!”

Land of Make Believe & Pirate's Cove
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Hope
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We went on Aug 7th (Wednesday). Weather called for 50% chance of rain so maybe that is why there weren't a ton of people there. It basically never rained and we never waited for any ride on the carnival side and I waited 5 minutes once for a water slide ride, the rest of the time there was zero wait! I'm 41 and love amusement type places. Been everywhere locally and many places nationally and I can say without hesitation that this was the best experience I have had at a park. Park was super clean, food was very reasonably priced and the workers were quite professional and friendly. I would recommend the park, however, for 2-15 year old. There are only so many water slides to really keep the upper teenager/young adult entertained, but if you got a bunch of little ones going this is the place to be. FYI no Visa, mastercard accepted at the gate. Only Discover card or cash. They do have a ATM by the entrance though. Parking is also free!

All reviews
in 23 reviews
"sesame place"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Land of Make Believe was SUCH a great daytrip for the kids. This is definitely a park that caters to the younger crowd and anyone over the age of 8 may find it lacking. I went on a weekday and while there were plenty of people, the park did not seem crowded and the lines were minimal. As others have mentioned, only cash or discover cards are accepted. If you plan early, you should search for buy one get one free coupons on eBay (or I guess if you live in NJ you might find these in circulars).

We went to the water park first, paid for a locker and crammed all of our stuff in. Please note that you must return your key by 5:30PM to get your deposit back. There are restrooms and changing huts nearby. Both were pretty clean, though the changing rooms were dim without any light other than sunlight streaming in from the outside. Prior to entering the water park area, there is a stroller area where everyone parks their strollers. I decided to leave mine behind and because the park was so small it wasn’t a problem. The one issue with the water park is while we got there maybe 11:30 all the seats were occupied by towels! Luckily I was able to find ONE chair and dumped our stuff there, otherwise I suppose we could have left the towels in the locker (but it was chilly that day). The wading pool was wonderful for the kids with all the small slides and the pirate ship. The lazy river is small but uncrowded when we were there early in the day. They have lifeguards all around who keep horseplay minimal (remember kids, keep yourselves in the float)! With random waterfalls, waves and sprinklers it was a perfect way to veg out.

All the rides were perfect for my 4 year old. While he got on the roller coaster and free fall ride, those were a little scary for him. He loved everything else but refused to get on the ferris wheel. We caught the interactive play where kids and parents alike participated in and it was pretty fun. The Santa Claus house was a little stuffy but we went on a cooler day so it wasn’t a problem. Santa even seemed cheerful and obliged with all the kids sitting on his lap giving him their early Christmas wishes. The best part is the gift shop area with all the planes. By far, it’s the cheapest place I’ve come across selling random toy planes (damn you NYC!)

The food compares to school cafeteria food but at least the prices are reasonable. The best part is that you can bring your own lunch. They have picnic areas and seating areas around the food shacks.

I know I’ve read reviews who commented on the staff being unhelpful. I did not have any particular issues so I can’t comment on that. The teenaged staff was neither cheerful nor rude, to which I have no problem with. They helped my son onto rides if we were outside and unable to and some did crack smiles and laughs with the kids.

Compared to Storybook Land, I would definitely choose LOMB! The latter seemed much more run-down, plus LOMB is closer to NY!

1  Thank whateversu
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Great for the price. Has everything kids want and more. It was also fun for adults. I like the fact that the adults could get on the rides with the kids especially a very small child.

2  Thank mellemel
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is a great water/fun park for little kids. Much over 10-12 they will not be impressed. But if you want to get the little ones started enjoying amusement parks this is one, maybe two, steps up from the local carnival rides.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My kids, 8 and 4, love this place. It's not glamorous or huge, but it's safe and clean. Maybe it varies from year to year--but on our visit we saw staff constantly picking up trash that people carelessly throw all over the place. The staff were friendly for the most part--some were indifferent but on a very hot day, I probably would be too. Apparently some small child left a deposit in the main pool area so they had to clear it out for cleaning. They seemed efficient and professional about that. There are lifeguards everywhere and they did seem to be enforcing rules and watching out for safety. It's an older place, very kitschy, but cute. They could probably cut back on all their "don't do this" signage, and the whole policy against visa and MasterCard is ridiculous, but if you know ahead of time and plan accordingly, it's not a big deal. Again, my kids loved it and my husband and I found it to be an easy place to navigate and enjoy the time with our kids.