“Decent park”

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Hope
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent park”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We visited the land of make believe early August, with our 5 and 6 year old daughters. The staff operating the rides looked slightly miserable, but on a busy day, I can't really blame them. The food was decent, the girl in snow cone was really friendly even when she insisted that I couldn't tip her, and the people in the chicken shack were very fast and efficient. Santa was also very nice, the kids loved talking to him. The girls at the gate were very nice and offered to put our wristbands on when they saw we were having trouble. Didn't stay in the water park long as it was a little chilly, but I'm sure it would be fun on a hot day. The lifeguards seemed professional, although they don't speak English will. Overall we had a nice day, albeit a little bored and frustrated because they don't accept cash. Wouldn't kill them to update their rides and games.

1 Thank kqail1310

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun time for small kids.”
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We had a great time at LOMB my 2 year old and 6 year old enjoyed it more then my 12 almost 13 year old boy. He did enjoy his self for a hour or so but after that he was done.
Food is fine, the kids will enjoy it.
My daughter really enjoyed dressing up for the mid evil show they put on.
All and all a great day.

Union City NJ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful park and very relaxing.”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

You will have a good time here even if you have no kids with you. The rides are very tame for adults but that is fine with me. I love the train ride and the small roller coaster. The water park is just the best for a lazy river and relaxing. The employees really welcome you and invite you to bring your own picnic lunch.

Visited July 2013
Blauvelt, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“First time there, will be back for sure!!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We went on Aug 7th (Wednesday). Weather called for 50% chance of rain so maybe that is why there weren't a ton of people there. It basically never rained and we never waited for any ride on the carnival side and I waited 5 minutes once for a water slide ride, the rest of the time there was zero wait! I'm 41 and love amusement type places. Been everywhere locally and many places nationally and I can say without hesitation that this was the best experience I have had at a park. Park was super clean, food was very reasonably priced and the workers were quite professional and friendly. I would recommend the park, however, for 2-15 year old. There are only so many water slides to really keep the upper teenager/young adult entertained, but if you got a bunch of little ones going this is the place to be. FYI no Visa, mastercard accepted at the gate. Only Discover card or cash. They do have a ATM by the entrance though. Parking is also free!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful Daytrip for the Kids!”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The Land of Make Believe was SUCH a great daytrip for the kids. This is definitely a park that caters to the younger crowd and anyone over the age of 8 may find it lacking. I went on a weekday and while there were plenty of people, the park did not seem crowded and the lines were minimal. As others have mentioned, only cash or discover cards are accepted. If you plan early, you should search for buy one get one free coupons on eBay (or I guess if you live in NJ you might find these in circulars).

We went to the water park first, paid for a locker and crammed all of our stuff in. Please note that you must return your key by 5:30PM to get your deposit back. There are restrooms and changing huts nearby. Both were pretty clean, though the changing rooms were dim without any light other than sunlight streaming in from the outside. Prior to entering the water park area, there is a stroller area where everyone parks their strollers. I decided to leave mine behind and because the park was so small it wasn’t a problem. The one issue with the water park is while we got there maybe 11:30 all the seats were occupied by towels! Luckily I was able to find ONE chair and dumped our stuff there, otherwise I suppose we could have left the towels in the locker (but it was chilly that day). The wading pool was wonderful for the kids with all the small slides and the pirate ship. The lazy river is small but uncrowded when we were there early in the day. They have lifeguards all around who keep horseplay minimal (remember kids, keep yourselves in the float)! With random waterfalls, waves and sprinklers it was a perfect way to veg out.

All the rides were perfect for my 4 year old. While he got on the roller coaster and free fall ride, those were a little scary for him. He loved everything else but refused to get on the ferris wheel. We caught the interactive play where kids and parents alike participated in and it was pretty fun. The Santa Claus house was a little stuffy but we went on a cooler day so it wasn’t a problem. Santa even seemed cheerful and obliged with all the kids sitting on his lap giving him their early Christmas wishes. The best part is the gift shop area with all the planes. By far, it’s the cheapest place I’ve come across selling random toy planes (damn you NYC!)

The food compares to school cafeteria food but at least the prices are reasonable. The best part is that you can bring your own lunch. They have picnic areas and seating areas around the food shacks.

I know I’ve read reviews who commented on the staff being unhelpful. I did not have any particular issues so I can’t comment on that. The teenaged staff was neither cheerful nor rude, to which I have no problem with. They helped my son onto rides if we were outside and unable to and some did crack smiles and laughs with the kids.

Compared to Storybook Land, I would definitely choose LOMB! The latter seemed much more run-down, plus LOMB is closer to NY!

Visited July 2013