“Stay away-bed bugs and extremely bad customer service”

Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Booked this through booking.com as I needed a hotel last minute for an early flight out of Newark airport.
This came up with mixed reviews,but for one night thought it would be ok,BIG MISTAKE.
As other hotels near the airport,this offered a shuttle to and from hotel.I waited an hour for the shuttle to pick me up from airport,while enquiring about this while waiting,a very rude member of staff told me to JUST wait as driver must be stuck in traffic(note hotel is only a 10mins drive and other hotels' shuttles arrived every 5-10mins)
When driver finally turned up-no greeting,let alone an apology-drove back to hotel where a customer had also been waiting for more than an hour to be dropped at airport and there in front of us,the receptionist asks the driver to drop this gentleman,to what the driver shouts back "I'm not going anywhere" and they both started arguing.The receptionist then says to that customer that driver refused to drive to airport so he would have to arrange for something else,at this point I'm really worried as my flight was at 6am the next morning and they seem to have only one driver on duty,who decides when he does and doesn't work.
Still,checked in and asked to pay cash as I didn't want my uk card to be charged so I paid and was checked in.
The room looked clean enough and very spacious.Decided to take a nap and was awaken within 2h with an extremely itchy and irritated skin-there were BED BUGS.There and then I decided to pack up and leave.I went downstairs to complain about the bed bugs and the receptionist didn't even looked surprised nor did she apologise.She asked me to wait as there were people waiting to be checked in.While processing my refund,a couple that was checked in came back within minutes to complain that the room they were given wasn't clean,with beds undone,seems no housekeeping after the previous occupiers,I was gobsmacked at the level of indifference again displayed by receptionist.Now I had my money back,I went for the Crowne Plazza as couldn't even contemplate trying another "value " chain,eventhough the Plazza was ridiculously expensive last minute.
Now,as if this whole experience wasn't bad enough,a couple of days later,I received an email from booking.com to let me know that the credit card I used to book the room will be charged a full night rate as America's best value inn reported me as a "no show",I was getting charged a full night stay.Eventually got it sorted through booking.com as I offered to send the refund receipt(which by the way I had to ask for at the time).So even after refunding me cash,they tried to get this money back by charging my credit card,aweful.
Sorry for long review,needless to say I will NOT recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed: August 2013
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. Using your review along with other guests opinions we have located the troublesome employees who had the audacity to show such disrespect to you and to one another; both have been replaced with better staff members of the Front Desk Staff and driver's that have been trained on guest relations. After reading your complaint we took immediate action quarantined the room, called professional services, and inspected all the rooms on the floor you where located to ensure the safety of all our guests. The management Staff along with myself have scheduled a weekly inspection for any type of pests in the premisses.
The booking site of your choice unfortunately made the mistake of charging you without our knowledge. I assure you when one of our guests decide they don't like the premisses for any reason at all %100 money back is warranted if it complies with our rules and regulations. You did the right thing by sorting it out with the booking site itself as we work as a separate unit. I hope this short explanation was able to clarify things for you. I would like to take a minute of your time and invite you back to enjoy the many changes our property has been exposed to since September!!!

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I booked at the Best Value Inn due to the low price and decent reviews. All in all it would be a fine hotel for a quick in and out trip if you fly into Newark. I stayed for three nights which is definitely not what this hotel is designed for.

There were plenty of positives associated with the room. The room itself was large. I had two queen size beds and a sleeper sofa. The room could accommodate six people if that were the need. There is a refrigerator and a wide screen HD television. TV had HBO and several channels to choose from. A large desk with power nearby is great to work. Best of all there is a free shuttle to and from the airport. They do offer breakfast which is very limited.

The hotel had some misses as well. First, the neighborhood is not too good. There are really no dining options in the area unless you have a car and no options given for delivery. Not a problem if you are just in for one night. Housekeeping (which seems to be a dying service) was not exactly spot on. Food from the previous guest was left in the refrigerator. The hotel does not have a safe and given the area one would not want to leave anything of value in the room (I had to slug my laptop through Manhattan). The hotel offers free WIFI but the connection, when you can get it, is about as bad as dial up. Lastly, the elevator did not work on the day of check out which would be ok but for my two suitcases and backpack I was handling.

While the shuttle was free I used it four times, two of which were not good experiences. I had two drivers for the trips and neither were trained on communicating with the guests. It seemed like they were put out to do their job. On my arrival night I called the front desk who did not tell me that I had to take Airtrain to P4. I called back and was informed and that the shuttle was on its way. From the time of my first call it took an hour to get the shuttle. I don’t understand how this happens at 1:00 AM when there are no other travelers. The second day I went to the desk at 7 to see about getting the shuttle at 8. When I boarded the shuttle at 8 the driver asked if I checked with the front desk which of course I did an hour before. Driver went to see the desk attendant and apparently had no recollection of my visit 60 minute prior. Driver informed me of this but told me not to worry about it. I don’t know why he brought it up then. Driver was on the phone the trip over to the airport. My point with the shuttle is that neither driver had any customer service training whatsoever.

If I need a quick overnight stay in Newark again I would consider this hotel as it is a spacious inexpensive room . I would not consider it for more than one night for the other reasons stated above.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank You for taking the time to write us such an insightful and eye opening review. As a guest relations manager reading your review saddens me and encourages me to work harder to make these changes happen for you. The limited breakfast was organized by our management staff to provide the essential and to use our resources on other facilities such as complementary shuttle services. Our rooms are inspected daily to ensure the best quality possible. We have also installed powerful routers to cover every corner of our five floors!!!

Security is the number one priority in this hotel, I assure everyone of my guests that the only way to get inside a room is with your room key which automatically expires once you claim it lost or with the emergency room key. Also the cameras that cover the inside and outside of the hotel are being monitored by our Front Desk Staff twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
When things break our mission is to get things up and running as fast as we possibly can.

Last, our drivers have been replaced by well trained professionals who love to help our guests with everything they're able to. I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences you experienced with us and I would love to invite you back to enjoy the many changes our property has gone through since September!!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We choose this hotel because it was close to the airport and within easy access to downtown New york.What a big mistake. The location was unsafe for us to go out at night and this was from one of the locals. I might have guessed when I went into reception as the area had glass up to the ceiling protecting the reception staff. We had long waits for shuttle service and some of the drivers didn't bother to get out of the van to put the steps down as it was a like getting onto a horse climbing into the vav. The dinning room was too small for the volume of guesta but the dinning room lady was very nice and looked after us well. Reception staff were also vey nice and helpful. Our rooms did smell of smoke even though it was a non smoking room. The first room we were allocated to had someone already there and they allocated us to another room. It was clean and the cleaner was also very nice and polite. I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my family of friends. Lance Perkins UK

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PerkLANCEPERKINS

Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. First I would like to offer my most sincere apology for your experience while staying at our property. Your insight is extremely valuable to us! That's why we have replaced our employees for driver's that are better trained to help guests as much as they can. Our rooms are monitored daily for a better quality stay adding penalties to guests who refuse to follow the NONSMOKING regulations on nonsmoking rooms. Our dinning room is designed to give more room to areas where is needed the most such as our guest rooms. Overall I would like to apologize once again for the inconveniences during your stay with us, nonetheless I would Love to invite you back to enjoy the many changes done to our property since September!!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife and I select this hotel thru Expedia, due to the fact that was close to Newark and offer Free In/Out shuttle for the Newark Airport. I call for comfirmation the day before the stay. The front desk instrucme to call from the P4 Station in the airport and call for the service.
We arrived at 10PM and call the Hotel Front Desk, we spent 1 Hr calling and no one pick up the phone, we had to go to another hotel and they charged me. I will not recommended this hotel when arriving over 7:00PM to Newark

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jose F
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

I would like to Thank You for Taking the time to write us your insight and opinion. I feel the need to sincerely apologize for the trouble that was caused due to the missed calls to our property. Unfortunately at the time our phones weren't working properly and calls were being transferred to another extension. We were unable to notice until the next morning. I wouldn't want you to think this act was deliberate and I hope this short explanation is able to clarify some of the confusion. I Thank You once again for initially choosing our property and I would personally like to invite you back to provide you with better service!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I like customer service, they were very helpful and cooperative. Especially Carolina & Deepa, the room was nice and clean,they also have Breakfast complimentary & i was satisfied. I would recommend to business friends who are on business trips outside of the country who need an hotel to stay while in new jersey.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn would like to Thank You, specially Ms. Carolina and Ms. Deepa for taking the time to write us such a flattering review. I'm thrilled to know you had an excellent experience during your stay with us! I'm glad to know our rooms, location, service and value were up to your standards. We Thank You once again for choosing our property and we would love to invite you back the next time you're in the area!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband, 1 year old son & I were on our way back home from and international trip. We were jet lagged and tired and excited to be back in America where we felt comfortable. We drove in at about 10pm (late flight). While we were checking in at the front desk there were 3 people ahead of us talking with the receptionist. They were asking how much a room was per hour. The receptionist said they do not charge per hour. Then proceeded to check them in. The receptionist said that their booking was only for 2 adults and there were 3 (two males & a female), they again told the receptionist they were only needing the room for a few hours and slipped him some money, which the receptionist took. When it was our turn to check in the receptionist got a phone call, again asking rates per hour. The receptionist said he could charge them a special rate for the use of 4 hours.

Why did we still check in? Because we were that tired. We went to our car to get our bags and a man claiming to be the 'parking lot security guard' (clearly a homeless man, old man, raggedy clothes-- missing teeth) told us that for $5-10 he would watch our car 'extra careful'. We felt trapped. Because if we didn't pay him, what would he do to our car? This was just a shady, shady area, with shady people. That man followed us right into the reception area where the receptionist greeted him! They knew each other!

We slept there for 5 hours, got up and got out as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ashemee
parkwayhospitality, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn would like to Thank You for taking the time to write us an insightful review. I would like to Sincerely apologize for the inconveniences imposed on you during your stay with us. I would like you to know we have two rate packages, overnight and short stay, our short stay rate is composed of 4 hours for travelers who can't stay the night. I am currently investigating the clerk that checked you in to find the man responsible for your discomfort at the parking lot area. I hope my explanation can provide some clarification. We Thank You once again for choosing our property and I would like to invite you back to better serve you.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

The location is excellent and the price of a suitable room hotel is just half an hour from Manhattan by bus and the room was clean and daily room service and hotel staff very friendly, especially Ms. Carolina

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank GeorgeUAE

Everyone at Americas Best Value Inn, specially Ms. Carolina, would like to Thank You for taking the time out of your busy schedule to review our property. We are flattered to read such an amazing review, I'm glad you were satisfied with our rooms, location, value, and service! We Thank You once again for choosing our property and I would love to Invite you back the next time you're around the area!

Viridiana A.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Newark Central Business District
Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!