“nice clean hotel excellent value”

Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Irvington
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This hotel is VERY clean, I have been to fancier places but not cleaner. I would recommend this to anyone who wants clean and nice lodging but does not need a fancy place. Very nice staff, extremely clean and well cared for. VERY good value

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 December 2010

I don't know what everyones talking about I stayed there a few times there's no bed bugs or no noise no hookers.Just cause there different color then you don't make them bad.The hotel is clean and the staff is friendly.I think its a good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank bdks
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Wanting to visit NYC for Thanksgiving but on a tight budget we chose Americas Best Value Inn in Irvington. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff was very nice. Easy check-in. Acceptable continental breakfast. Super large rooms. Our family of five slept comfortably on two queen beds and a pull-out twin sofa. There was a small fridge and a microwave. Clean bathroom. Large walk in closet. Easy 30 minute drive to mid-town. Felt very safe. Recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank KarakeyRochelle
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I stayed at the ABVI for 2 nights. The first night I saw red bumps on my skin but thought nothing of it. The next night I saw even more bumps on my body which were itchy and swollen. I went to my doctor the next day thinking I had an allergy to something I ate, only to be told those were bed bug bites all over my body. I was devastated and worried that I may have brought some of them home with me. I had to pretty much destroy all the nw clothes I purchased in N.Y. In addition, I paid $5 to the hotel clerk for an internet cable which was to be refunded on checkout. When I returned it, I was told that it was not entered into their system so I could not get my money back. I have complained to the hotel aout these problems, but all my emails have been ignored. I have since contacted the health department. Beware of this hotel. Check your beds.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank shyguy30
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Others have fully described the dangerous local area and the receptions apparent need to be behind bullet proof glass! The rooms were big but furnished with old stuff. The elevator was very noisy so if you stay here ask for a room far enough away though I did not sleep at all for the constant slamming of doors on the ground floor from 1 am onwards. I guess it was cheap for being close to Newark airport but if you actually want to sleep you should consider elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank mk6on
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I've traveled a lot in america and seen dozens of hotels in various surroundings. This hotel isn't so bad but the location is absolutely horrible. Depending on how experienced traveler you are this place will make you feel unsafe or at least uncomfortable. There is absolutely no going out in the evening because this hotel is located in unfriendly neighborhood. I've walked through similar areas in Memphis and Detroit, so I pretty much know what I'm talking about. You could try it but probably not enjoy it.

I called this hotel from the airport and the shuttle picked me up. When I arrived at this hotel the price had doubled from what I was told on the phone. "No rooms left at that price, sir". When i was about to leave the man behind the bulletproof glass was ready to negotiate. So I stayed and paid about 65$ for one night. Right after me came an african american man to ask about his long-term staying and if they had received a payment for it. Most certainly there are families from the same neighborhood, keeping their doors open to the corridor and lots of loud talking. Good place for a pimp daddy or community lovers. Well, it's a shame that the rooms are actually quite nice but the location and staff make it what it is- a dump.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank cincinnatirocks
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We stayed at this joint for only a few hours after our flight had been cancelled - we arrived at 1:30AM and left at 5AM. True, we knew if would not be luxurious because it was the cheapest place on the airport hotel board. But the problem was not with the quality of the rooms - I agree with others that you get what you pay for on that front and the room was actually ok.
The problem was the prostitute who stayed next door to us and had no fewer than 4 johns come visit her during those hours. You can guess how we were able to count. And you should know that the walls are paper thin. Obviously we had no sleep. And her pimp conveniently waited for her down in the lobby while on the computer (in front of the bulletproof glass). And the girls negotiating their deals in the entryway to the lobby was a nice touch.
Look - if they want to run a pimp motel, then that is between them and the community that supports them. But to advertise in the airport as if they are a legitimate hotel is offensive. And then they respond to comments on here as if they are helpless in their fight against crime in the neighborhood. The front desk worker has cameras on all the hallways at all times. He knows how many men went in that room in a short time. They are either complete morons or they don't care because they turn a profit. I am inclined to believe the latter. I am not surprised at all to read on here that there are hourly rates. Thank goodness I did not have my children with me - I would have filed a nuisance complaint for sure.
This place should be seized.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank huffmaco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvington
Newark Central Business District
Best Western Plus Robert Treat Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to Americas Best Value Inn @ Newark Airport? Share your experiences!