“Unable to honor your confirmation guaranteed room type.”

Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Iselin
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Marriott Silver and Gold Elite Members

Offered no upgrade.

The "Navigator" who was checking us in on July 12th was one of the most unfriendly front desk agents I have ever encountered. We booked a guaranteed double room, and were given a king room. The room looked old and worn down, cracks in the bathroom, etc.

When we went back to ask the same Navigator to switch us to the appropriate room we were told that all doubles were "sold out" and that the room type is not guaranteed. Except...it was clearly written on our reservation confirmation directly from the hotel itself.

I knew I was dealing with someone who had no clue what they were talking about, and was poorly trained so I called the Hotel Manager. She quickly put us in a King Suite and apologized - the suite is just a king room with a long hallway and a slightly larger bathroom. Still not a double, and one guest was stuck sleeping on the sofa-bed.

Seems like a gathering place for large groups/events. Lot of unaccompanied kids without their parents running around, and just causing noise.

The only good thing about this hotel is that it is close to Jose Tejas.

For the simple reason that they could not honor their own guaranteed reservation, I would not stay at this hotel again - if I had other options. I may file a charge back for them not honoring the original reservation.

1  Thank 1stBuy
Denise H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear 1stBuy
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to give us your feedback as it is only through feed such as yours that we can improve our service and processes. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectation or guarantee of a room with 2 beds. Please be assured we utilize reviews such as yours a teaching moments with our ambassadors to improve ourselves and lean to not make the same errors repeatedly. I would like to research this further to see where we failed in our systems and in our service. When it is convenient if you could please email me at:
denise.haddad@renaissancewoodbridge.com
I would like to get additional information regarding your visit with us.

Kind Regards - Denise

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Overall, great stay. Very large hotel, a few minutes off of 95. You will need your garmin or other device to get here, but not bad. Many restaurants nearby. Hotel has large lobby and pool, a little loud going in, but room was quiet as can be. There is a restaurant in the hotel as well, but I did not try it. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and nice, Aveda products are used. The only reason I gave it very good vs excellent, the carpet was a bit stained. Nothing nasty or gross, just could use a steaming. I never do bare feet in a hotel, but that was the only improvement I would add. Otherwise great stay!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank StephanieSelene
Denise H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Tripper1231
I am glad to hear you enjoyed yourself as well as the Aveda products (the are my favorite as well)
Next time visit us you must try OLIO's breakfast buffet and new Menu - the French Cut Chicken and Parmesan Scallops are a must do!

I am enclosing my email address if you could please email me your last name, date of stay or room number (which ever is easiest) I would like to make sure we the soiled carpet taken care of

Delighted to Serve - Denise

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The approach to this property certainly gives one pause, but hang in there because the inside is charming funky and well worth the trip. Arriving in the lobby, which had a modern contemporary look and feel, we were immediately greeted by friendly and helpful staff. In short order we were onto the elevator and up to our room which was clean, quiet, comfortable and well-appointed. Later on we took in the outdoor pool scene which was a surprise for this type of hotel and later had drinks and dinner in the lounge area where the staff expertly mixed up fabulous cocktails and served up imaginative interpretations on standard American fare. The sea scallops were nearly baseball sized and with a flavor that was simply divine. While this was a get-away stay for fun, I'd gladly come back for work. Top to bottom the staff were superb and the decor was fresh and a little funky. Really had a great stay and can't recommend it highly enough. A special shout-out to Austin at the front desk who went out of his way to take care of several special requests. Every hotel should have one like him.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings Duniasafari
Thank you for your review - I am very glad to hear that your experience was everything you expected! On a side note the Parmesan Encrusted scallops are my favorite as well.

Hope to see you back with us soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I recently attempted to stay at the Renaissance Woodbridge, and based on that experience, I definitely won’t be back. After spending about twenty minutes at the property, my girlfriend and I chose to leave and drive home, rather than spend a night at the Renaissance. Beyond the hotel being crowded with guests that were totally out of control, several aspects of our room were simply not up to par.

We originally planned to stay at the hotel following a concert in Newark, so that we wouldn’t have to drive a couple of hours back home to South Jersey late after the event. I had a free night certificate from a Marriott Rewards promotion to use for the stay, and chose the hotel because it didn’t seem to be too far from Newark, particularly by train from the nearby Metropark station. I also assumed that it would be nicer than the lower level Courtyard and Fairfield Inn properties that were otherwise available using the free night certificate. I was definitely wrong on that point.

The first thing that I noticed upon driving up to the hotel was how ugly the building is. Although this is not at all the determining factor in whether I like a hotel, the first impression wasn’t good. The outside is very bleak and industrial looking, clearly an older property. We both noted that it looked almost like an old hospital or really ugly office building.

Regardless, I was hoping that the hotel would still be nice inside, and based on how crowded it was, it seemed to be a popular hotel. On the particular Saturday night when we were there, there was at least one wedding going on, which seemed to be pretty large from the number of people entering the hotel for the reception. In addition, there was a large group of youth lacrosse players there with their parents, which was the first problem we encountered. The lacrosse players were completely out of control, running around the lobby throwing lacrosse balls to each other, running back and forth to the pool, and clogging up the elevators to run around the hallways upstairs. The parents were in the lobby, but busy drinking, completely oblivious to their children’s poor behavior. Although I recall the lobby actually being pretty nice and renovated with a modern décor, it was really hard to get a good look at it with such chaos. I felt particularly bad for the wedding guests, who had to dodge the lacrosse kids to attend their event.

Check-in was efficient and generally fine, but I noticed that another guest was at the desk to complain about the noise and commotion that the lacrosse group was creating. This definitely didn’t bode well. The front desk staff seemed apologetic about it, but didn’t seem empowered to actually do anything to fix it. The girl at the front desk basically just apologized and shrugged her shoulders about it. Honestly, I would expect better from a hotel this high up in the Marriott food chain. Even if the front desk staff didn’t feel comfortable stepping in, there should have been immediate communication with management to handle the craziness and commotion. Doing nothing basically condoned the behavior and sent a message to the misbehaved group that they’re the most valued guests in the hotel. I didn’t expect the group to be kicked out, but I did expect that the peace and comfort of other guests would matter a bit more. I’ve had similar situations at other properties, and it always amazes me that so little is often done to fix issues caused by groups, particularly groups of children. I ultimately blame the parents for allowing their children to behave so poorly, but the hotel should still step in when it impacts other guests.

After checking in, we went up to our room and figured that the hotel would hopefully calm down by the time we got back from our concert. The elevators were incredibly slow and old, which is always annoying. However, the hallways outside the rooms seemed fine and newly renovated (beyond the fact that there were yet more unsupervised lacrosse kids running past as we tried to get to our room).

In the end, the final thing that made us leave the hotel was how bad the room was. I immediately noticed when we got to the room that the door didn’t shut properly. Although the door technically locked, it didn’t fully shut in the doorframe. This left a gap on the side that just didn’t seem totally safe, not to mention that it seemed like a great way for extra noise to get into the room. Once we got in, it just looked worse from there. Although the room seemed ok at first glance, it wasn’t acceptable to us upon closer inspection. The room was dark and depressing, most directly caused by how small and high up the windows are. Despite being on the third floor, the room was distinctly reminiscent of a basement. Although the room seemed to have been at least partially renovated in the past few years, the dated floral curtains were definitely overlooked. The carpet featured large stains in multiple spots, and one of the chairs featured what appeared to be old gum ground into the cushion. The tub also featured pink mold in several areas of the grout and the room had a very wet, humid feel to it. Many of these complaints are arguably small, and it's not immediately apparent from pictures. However, putting everything together, we weren’t happy.

I also noticed that the room, even without the upkeep issues, simply didn’t seem to be up to the level of other Renaissance properties that I’ve visited. I’ve always liked Renaissance because the rooms have seemed just a tad more upscale than regular Marriott rooms, with décor that’s distinctive in some way. There was nothing even remotely unique about the rooms at this property. It just felt like a stripped down Marriott room with a pretty bland red, blue, and yellow décor featuring very minimal artwork and nothing in the way of interesting touches.

We ultimately decided that we just wanted to cut our losses and leave, rather than even attempt to get another room, so we called the front desk to see what could be done. Since we live within driving distance, we didn’t technically need to stay over after the event, and we just felt that even the perfect room here would be below our expectations, especially given the issues with the lacrosse clientele. I spoke with Denise Haddad, and she very efficiently handled everything, which I appreciated. It was clear that she was aware that there were issues that night, and she immediately seemed to understand why we didn’t want to stay. There was no wasted time trying to convince us to stay and she wasn’t defensive, which was much appreciated. She apologized and mentioned that she would have tried to move us to a better room or a suite if the hotel wasn’t completely full. She offered to find us an alternative Marriott property if we were interested, which was nice. We declined and just decided to go with a refund for the night. We were refunded our free night certificate and given an extra 5,000 Marriott Rewards points for the inconvenience, which was very nice.

Our stay at the Renaissance Woodbridge simply didn’t work out, and to some extent, it was probably just a bad night to be there. It was a Saturday night and the hotel was packed with particularly obnoxious guests that affected our ability to enjoy our stay. The hotel definitely needs to take more of a stand to guarantee that some guests aren’t ruining the fun for everyone else. However, even without that issue, I still don’t think we would have been happy here. The room we were given simply wasn’t up to par. It was in bad condition and not very nice. It definitely wasn’t up to the level of what I would expect from a Renaissance. I probably wouldn’t ever have a reason or desire to come back after our bad experience, but I did at least appreciate helpful service once we had made the decision to leave. Definitely be wary of this hotel, especially if you’re coming on a weekend, when rowdy groups are likely to be in residence.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrg0137
Denise H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Mr. G,
Thank you once again for your feedback. I know we spoke at length during your brief visit and I completely empathize with the situation during that weekend. You were looking for a refuge and did not provide that experience you were seeking. I would like to invite you back to stay with us another weekend night so you can experience the 'norm' vs. the exception. My email address is below and I still have your email address from earlier. I will contact you outside of our Trip Advisor platform to set up a return weekend night visit.

Mr. G. Once again your feedback is extremely valuable as it is the only way for us to continually improve and set expectations with our ambassadors in order for us to deliver an exceptional experience and exceed expectations with each and everyone of our guests who stay with us.

Delighted to Serve - Denise

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I had my Sweet Sixteen at this hotel and it was a success! The staff was so helpful and accomodating; especially Ashley who helped my family and I plan every aspect of the party. The banquet manager, Helen, was very friendly and did a great job in supervising the party to make sure that everything was perfect. The Diamond Ballroom was grand and picturesque. The guests were amazed at how organized the event was. The cleanliness of the room was maintained even during the party; the waiters were polite and always greeted everyone with a smile.
Overall, the experience we had at Renaissance hotel was priceless!!!!

1  Thank Rysel429
Denise H, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Happy Birthday Raphaella!

We are so delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Sweet 16! The décor you chose really highlighted every aspect of the Diamond Ballroom. You and your guests had a great time and danced 'til you couldn't dance no more!

Please don't hesitate to call us if we can be of any service in the future. Once again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Warmest Regards - Denise

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'll start with the positive. The hotel was clean, pleasantly decorated, and convenient to the Metropark train and restaurants. It would probably be a great choice for weekday/business travel. However, I would not recommend it on weekends. We recently stayed here on a Saturday night when there were two events being held on the property as well as a large wedding group staying there. As the parties let out and as the loud wedding bus returned, everyone spilled into and hung out in the lobby and bar until 2 am. This would normally be fine, except that large loud groups were consistently outside (smoking?) below my 3rd floor window. I called the desk a few times to complain and went downstairs myself a few times. The next morning I was told by management that "every 20 minutes someone went outside" to do something about it, but each time I went downstairs I found large groups outside as well as 2 staff people standing around behind the desk and a guard walking around INside. This continued until 2 am. My friend who was on the other side of the hall was fortunate enough to not hear the noise since it was not below her window. Maintenance note: Please check the air units inside all the rooms. The shells on the unit vibrate loudly. (That was something that could normally have been overlooked, but that night it was just the icing on the cake. Luckily it was a mild summer night, and we were able to just turn it off.) I generally write reviews for hotels where I've been very happy, but I would hate for another family to go through what we did.

2  Thank househunters

Dear Househunters

Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding your experience from the past weekend. I am very disheartened to hear that we failed on several aspects during your stay. Please know our primary goal to exceed each and every guest's expectation we just don't want you to have a good stay - we strive to create a memorable experience! Please also know the feedback you provided is extremely important to us as we can only get better via guest feedback. We use feedback such as your each and every day in our morning stand up meetings and our daily training classes.

Please feel free to contact me off line denise.haddad@renaissancewoodbridge.com I would like to know if you will be back in the area sometime.

Warm Regards Denise

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff. Nice big comfy rooms free wifi. All plus points.

Bar staff less friendly.

Breakfast buffet very disappointing with limited options. And the ever awful poor excuse for tea that is Lipton. Also the ever tasteless greasy substance described as cheddar (and it's orange ) come on when did cows ever produce orange milk?

Dire effort at bacon. Dry yet rubbery hard consistency. Where oh where do the good cuts go?

Catering basically let's this place down.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Helly J - I am very happy to see you had a positive experience with our friendly staff!

I do apologize about the breakfast experience - breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day and if your day doesn't start right I can empathize how you are feeling. Our goal is to always strive to exceed each and every guest's expectation and unfortunately we fell short at breakfast.

I do hope we see you again soon! Please let me know when you are coming back!

Warm Regards - Denise

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iselin
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
Hampton Inn Woodbridge
#1 of 4 in Woodbridge
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center
Residence Inn Woodbridge Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!