“Convenient/Cheap/Good Breakfast/Friendly”

Jersey City Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 5 Jersey City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed only one night at this B&B. Arrived late from the PATH (taxi ride was $5) at around 4 am and as it was promised the keys were in the mailbox so I could enter. I stayed in the Queen room which had one queen bed and a twin size bed, a computer with internet, a cooler with refreshments and water. Bathroom was ok, nothing fancy, it just worked for me. Breakfast with Ron was pretty good, he would cook anything you want from french toast, pancakes, eggs, everything. The day I left,Lonnie was kind enough to give me and my friend a ride from his place to the Path. Overall a good place to stop by, maybe not suited for someone looking for an extended stay, but great for someone just stopping by. Book thru Lonnie's website or call the B&B and you will get better rates.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gabriele L

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Jersey City B & B

It is always a "Catch 22" when you find a place like Jersey City B&B.  On one hand you want to let the world know what a diamond in the rough you have found, on the other hand you want to keep it to yourself and guard it like a secret pirate treasure.

Nestled away in a sleepy neighborhood near Journal Square in Jersey City, New Jersey.  It is only a few short blocks to the PATH trains that will take you to  Manhattan ($5.00 Taxi Fare $2.00/person PATH).  On arrival you find an unassuming "duplex" style townhouse with a gated driveway (parking is available however why you would want to drive in these cities is beyond me).  There are three rooms available for Guests, we stayed in the "King Suite" which is the only room on the main floor.  This "room" is the size of a small apartment, there are two beds, one King Bed (with a beautiful Memory Foam Mattress - perfect for the weary road warrior) and a double bed at the far end.  The room is equipped with a water cooler, small fridge, complimentary beverages, telephone, computer, complimentary wireless Internet (with decent speed,  I might add - too many places advertise Internet only to provide substandard speeds), and as irrelevant as I may view it, two televisions with fully featured digital cable.  There are two other suites available on the third floor, similarly outfitted just a bit smaller.  The second floor is where you will find the kitchen/dining area...  and Ron.  Ron manages the B&B's daily happenings, he is friendly, happy, genuine, and makes a deadly breakfast.  Ron is an invaluable resource for the international traveler, need a shave? Tailor? Shoe Repair? Transit Advice? Ron knows the city and can accommodate almost any request.  Ron is a master of friendly, genuine conversation, always wearing a smile and his heart on his sleeve.

Lonnie (the owner) and his twin sons live on-site though you wouldn't know it, save for the pictures of the family artistically distributed throughout the home.

Jersey City Bed & Breakfast provides a quiet, comfortable, welcoming, oasis of tranquility in the biggest city in the world.

Without question the best Bed & Breakfast that I/we have ever had the pleasure of visiting.  My wife and I both look forward to returning.

- About the author -

My wife and I are in our late 30's, middle income, self employed, and parents to three small children.  We live a "Normal" life in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  We don't stay at the "Hilton's" of the world, never travel "First Class", we navigate on public transit with ease, and know the value of hard work.  I don't wear a suit, we don't shop at Gucci or Prada, and I believe that if guys wear pants that show their underwear and white rimmed sunglasses they are probably duchebags.  So when you read my reviews, know that  honesty, integrity, respect and value are the major mitigating factors.  Minor details with reference to building maintenance, "name brands" of products, and 1 billion thread count sheets have very little weight in my reviews.

• Stayed: November 2011
7  Thank SteveDahl
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stayed at this b&b for 5 nights. As advertised it is 10 minutes walk to the PATH and then 10 minutes into Manhattan. Free soda, free computer, printer and office supplies, free box office movies, free phone calls to anywhere in the USA and free cooked breakfast are also provided. We stayed in the suite on the top floor which also had a large sitting room separate from the bedroom.
The manager, Ron is very friendly and is happy to please guests. He will cook you a great breakfast and will make you feel special.
This b&b is not the Hilton but it is cosy and homely. For $95 a night it is a great bargain. The money we saved staying in Jersey meant we had more to spend on having a good time in NYC.
The area is safe. We even walked home from the PATH each night after dark and did not have any problems.
Would stay here again if visiting NYC.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Madjude
Reviewed 8 July 2011

If you don't want to spend a lot of money for a hotel in New York City this is the place for you! The rooms are very well equipped with more stuff than you can imagine. The breakfast is very good. Lonnie and his staff are friendly and helpful. It is about 15 minutes walking to the Path train station which will bring you in about 15 minutes to Manhattan. From the B&B you can walk to the Statue of Liberty State Park, where you can see the skyline of Manhattan. Near the B&B is little India where you can eat nice Indian food if you like it.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Naatje67
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I stayed at the B&B in November 2011 for a couple of nights to visit New York city and the overall experience was OK. It was not as excellent as some reviews indicate, but as I was traveling alone, the price was an important factor. The rooms were basic, a bit out-dated and not very tidy, but the bed was very good and the pc with internet in the room was super great. Also the TV was nice, even though I did not have much time to watch it.

Breakfast was OK but I was not sure how fresh some of the stuff was, so I did not try everything. The guy who made pancakes was funny, he had all kind of stories and seemed to have visited all the possible countries...It was entertaining but don´t take him too seriously, maybe he´s repeating what he heard from the other travellers...

The location was not great since as a single traveler I did not feel safe to walk alone from the path station after dark. OK, taxi was not expensive, but 5-6dollars more everyday + path tickets makes you think if a place closer to Manhattan would have been worth after all. As a couple this would have been probably fine.

Overall I was satisfied with the place as I did not have high expectations. The owner was helpful and the B&B provided me a comfy bug-free bed, internet and nice breakfast with a reasonable price. If you want to stay in a family home type of accommodation and don´t mind the distance to manhattan, this place is for you.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank pupu79
Reviewed 16 November 2010

We stay in B&B's where ever we can when traveling. Not only did the Jersey City B&B offer great value but it was truly a slice of life in the area. Not the most luxurious we've ever stayed in but it had all the amenities we needed including free phones anywhere in the world. Not that we used it but it was a nice touch. Free computer and internet in our room and two TV's. A gorgeous view of the New York skyline.

The owner, Lonnie, even gave us a ride to the PATH train. It was very convenient to the ferry to Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty as well as PATH train to Manhattan.

Bed was comfy, room was clean, area was quiet - all good!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolmsmom
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My friend and I decided to revisit New York and this time thought we would try staying at a B&B. We have stayed at B&B's before and have always been happy with the accomodations. After reading the glowing reviews we decided on this B&B. What a disappointment! Upon arrival the house looked like no one was home, we had to ring the door bell several times eventually a lady came to the door. Because of the unsavoury look of the neighbourhood we asked the cabbie to stay while we checked to see what the rooms looked like. We decided to stay for the night and see how we felt in the morning. The pictures that are on the site have not been updated since the place opened in 2007. We had the first floor with the king bed and the adjoining room with a double bed. The bathroom needed a really good scrub and there was mould growing in the shower! The place hasn't been dusted in a long time! the bedding was very old and didn't feel all that clean. Breakfast the next morning was cold meat, cold sausages, cheese, and eggs cooked by the lady from the night before who talked on her cell phone the whole time and who was wearing her t-shirt inside out! Except for the first night we arrived we never saw the amazing Lonnie once! We just kept telling ourselves that we weren't here to stay in the room and that this B&B if nothing else was cheap and you get what you pay for!
A lot of the information they provide is incorrect. The PATH is a good 15 minute walk from the B&B.
My friend and I don't consider ourselves hard to please but this place was just wasn't up to par at all.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends