“Great location, nice hotel”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Foster City, California
“Great location, nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I booked a room here after staying at the company paid Hyatt Jersey City as I was paying for this on my own. I was able to get it for $100 a night less. Location next to the PATH is great for going to Manhattan. My only complaint was that the Wi-Fi seemed a little slow but wasn't too bad. My view was of the apartment building next door. All in all, I liked the hotel and the bed was extremely comfortable. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I traveled to NYC with my two young daughters and my mother and was so glad we chose to stay here as opposed to staying in NYC. We flew into EWR and took a $49 cab ride so within 10 minutes we were at our hotel. Hotel was beautiful! We stayed in a corner suite on the 21 floor and the view was absolutely amazing. Debbie at the front desk was so kind and helpful too, my girls just loved her. The hotel is really nice and a breath of fresh air as opposed to staying in NYC, which we went to every day. We took a $20 cab ride to Liberty park in the morning and boarded the ferry to Lady Liberty. That was a bonus too. The ferries from NYC were completely packed while ours had maybe 20 people on it. Everyone we encountered was very kind and helpful. It was so nice to go to NYC (20-30 minutes on PATH and then Subway depending where you are going) and then come back to Jersey City and feel like we could walk at a normal pace and breath again! ;-) We used the pool every day and my girls loved it. Larger than many hotel pools and a nice hottub too. The only negative I found was the cost for internet, which we didn't really need so didn't purchase it, and the cost so use a microwave. You get one free reheat and then it is $5 after that. Or you can rent one for $30 a day. SILLY!!! We just wanted some easy mac for the girls. There is a nice Mall right behind the hotel we went to the first day. Yummy places to eat there and some normal mall shops. I think one of favorite things in Jersey City was eating the ice cream from the ice cream man just down the street from the hotel. Cheap, and delicious! I think it was like $8 for all four of us each night and it was really good for an evening snack.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room at the corner of the hotel as high up as you can get!! ;-)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

The Good:
- PATH train gives easy access to Mid-town and WTC
- Clean, comfortable, and great quality sleep
- Good deal if you can get it below $200 / night

The Bad:
- WIFI costs $9.99 per day. Hard to believe any decent hotel would do this in 2013. -1 star
- Upgrade to Deluxe King was not worth it. Even from Deluxe room, the view is almost completely obstructed by other buildings

Room Tip: The upgrade to Deluxe King from Standard Room is not worth it. The view from the Deluxe Rooms acros...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T6D3
Parsberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

First I one to say that the room was very nice. It looked like the pics on the internet. We really appreciated the Starbucks coffee in the room.
However, we were very surprised to find an empty mini-bar. We thought they forgot to restock it. We called the front desk and they explained that if you want something for your mini-bar that you can buy it but there is additional 22% for service and 7% for taxes. Also, if you have anything put in there you bought it. This is no longer a mini-bar but room service. I see they advertise mini-frig and not bar anymore. The mini-frig was not cold so don't plan to bring your own items in hopes of keeping cool.
Second, we used the pool. It was cold to the point that our granddaughter said "this is the coldest pool I have ever been in my life." While I have been in colder it was miserable to the point of not wanting to use it.
We then used the hot tub. It was warm the way the pool should have been. There was a temperature control that read 92. It was not hot, at all, so we let the kids play in it for 2 hours.
As well, there was one bathrobe in the room. Who wears it to the pool? There were no slippers. Since we have come to expect them at nicer hotels we did not pack any.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Michelle B.,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your recent stay. Please allow me to address some of your concerns.

During the summer months the pool area grows very warm so the pool temperature is adjusted to a cooler level so as not be uncomfortably warm for guests. With the arrival of cooler weather we have recently adjusted the temperature to a warmer level. I am sorry to hear that you and your children were uncomfortable. The change may not have occurred in time for your recent visit.

In reference to the robes and slippers, each guest room is supplied with a standard robe but we do offer additional robes, as well as slippers, at guests' requests.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back for a more enjoyable stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at leslie.thompson@westin.com with any further feedback or inquiries.

Leslie Thompson
Pgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip. The showers are the best features of the rooms by far. the meals we were provided were wonderful-lots of healthy options and all the food was fresh. I didn't try to access the wi-if, I did use the computers in the business center and was pleased I could easily print my boarding pass and for free. I'm not sure I would stay here not on business as it is probably too expensive, but I would recommend it to companies hosting meetings! No complaints.

• Stayed September 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Enjoyed staying here during our quick trip to NYC. Very friendly service. The proximity to the light rail (Newport Station), Newport Centre Mall, and the PATH made it convenient to visit NYC and the Statue of Liberty. We ate at the Fire & Oak grill in the hotel once for dinner, which was nice and reasonable. And for breakfast we opted for their "grab-and-go" al a carte items (bagels/pastries, yogurt, fruit, juices) which was sufficient (instead of their breakfast buffet). I really enjoyed the calmness of Jersey City and walking along the boardwalk, and being able to leave the crowds of NYC. Nice combination while visiting the city.

1 Thank Alicia F
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Extended business trip. Liked this hotel. Staff was kind and efficient. As well as kind and helpful.
Can't beat the location. Offers a clean, quiet, and safe area. Walkable with many food options. Next to a mall and the PATH. Rental car agencies nearby. Relaxing promenade across the hotel to relax or go for a jog. Would return with out a doubt.

Room Tip: High Floor Close to from of hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Leslie T, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear amennyc,

Thank you for choosing our property for your extended business trip. I am delighted to hear that our staff assisted in making it an enjoyable stay. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Leslie Thompson
#5 of 13 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#4 of 13 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!