“Loved it, BUT....”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Kansas City, Kansas
“Loved it, BUT....”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We loved this hotel while we were there. Great location, great views, very accommodating, for the most part, BUT... I had to give it a terrible rating due to the fact that after returning from our trip we found out that my daughter's credit card had been compromised by someone working at the hotel. The only place she used that credit card was when we checked in and they require you to leave a card in place for incidentals. Someone had used her card to make purchases at nearby stores and attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to get a great view of the city!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank PatA56
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear PatA56,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Although I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sorry to hear of the experience with your daughter's credit card. Please be assured we take every precaution to protect our guest privacy. I would like to be able to investigate this issue immediately. Please feel free to contact me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I can assist in resolving this matter.

I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Bhumika Bharucha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
Kerrville, Texas
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a short stay in New Jersey for the weekend. Everything was awesome. The hotel has a good location. Very reasonable price. You may just take the train to New York 33rd Street and stay at this hotel with more reasonable price than the hotels in New York.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank BrookeB69
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear BrookB69,

Greetings from The Westin Jersey City Newport.

Thank you so much for taking the time review our hotel. I am glad to hear that The Westin Jersey City exceeded your expectationss. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Paris
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed two nights in the Westin Jersey city Newport. Most Hotels in Manhattan were fully booked due to the New York Marathon. The hotel is in Newport, in the middle of nowhere. There is easy access to Manhattan with the train. The Hotel personnel is competent and friendly. This needs to be acknowledged. The Hotel price is very high (I paid 300 USD + tax for one night) and the quality is mediocre. The absolute scandal is the Breakfast. On week-days there is no real buffet. You can either have an outrageous "a la carte" Breakfast (plan to pay between 35 and 50 USD if you like a good selection of coffee, juice, bread/toast, scrambled eggs, bacon and fruits) or a small self service table where you can grab a coffee and some junk food at premium price.
This is really not the Westin quality I have been used to.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank GlobewatcherParis
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Globewatcherparis

Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel rooms fluctuate in price depending on the season and occupancy of our hotel; we are currently in our peak season. During off peak room rates become more manageable. We realize that not everyone wants to spend a lot for break but our breakfast prices are competitive with the other hotels in our area. We have some excellent places nearby that serve breakfast. Our Westin concierge can recommend places nearby that may be more to your liking and lower in cost. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you soon for an enjoyable stay.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Westin Newport is in a great location to use as base camp for jumping to New York City. A short walk to PATH subway makes it easy to visit the World Trade Center memorial and other spots throughout New York City. Don’t forget PATH systems gets you to Jersey City neighborhood locations as well. Where you can find Filipino restaurants. Newport Centre mall is adjacent to the hotel, making eating and shopping easy. Azucar, a good Cuban restaurant is next door also.
As always expect Westin to consistently provide good accommodations and service, the Westin Newport delivers on this. Upon entering the reception desk was friendly and accommodating for our party of four adults. The concierge staff is very knowledgeable and helpful on the subway system and the local tours. The room we occupied on the 22nd floor provided a “partial view” of the New York City skyline. Ask for a view of the city, but like I said, expect a partial view. The restaurant provides a good but pricey breakfast buffet. The Newport Centre mall has several fast food places to eat a quick and economic meal though. We have no problem staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors with a view of New York City, but expect a partial view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Grot888,

Thank for the great feedback you have provided. We pride ourselves on our guest service and value feedback from our customers. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. This level of detail is important for us so we know that our high level of customer service is worth it. Please know that I will forward your comments about our staff to our Management staff so that they may receive the acknowledgement they deserves for a job well done.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I used to live in Jersey City and know that the Westin is one of the best hotels in the area. Nowadays, it is the only hotel I stay at when I am in town for business. I typically stay between 3-4 days at a time and have never had an unpleasant stay.

Big Pluses:
- Always clean, and well-kept
- Complementary bottled water when you arrive
- Higher floor request fulfilled within the room types
- LOVE the rain showerhead
- More than additional White Tea soap/shampoo when requested
- Seamless check-in/check-out
- Easy walk to the PATH
- Right next to the Newport Mall

My only gripe is that the walls are thin. On the last two nights of my last two visits, I could hear my neighbor's alarm go off at 6AM. Even though I was in town for business, I didn't need to up be up quite that early. Next time, I'll request a room away from others so I can have uninterrupted sleep.

The Westin is a great choice overall and I'll be returning there for all future visits.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Bebescarlet,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We pride ourselves on our guest service and value feedback from our customers. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I make a notation in your SPG profile to ensure that you’re blocked in a quiet room and non-connecting room.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Acton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great hotel. With NY hotel prices so high, this is a great alternative. Steps away from the PATH train to either downtown or midtown NYC. Restaurant in hotel is very good. As with most Westins, great rooms and service. Good choice of restaurants right outside the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike D
Maryland
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My family and I stayed in the hotel for 1 night. We enjoyed our stayed and it was a great choice for a comfortable stay for our NYC trip. The hotel was only walking distance away from the transit to Manhattan. The only downside of the hotel is the connection between garage and hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Marylandpeggie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your stay with us. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service.

I am glad to hear that, for the most part your stay at the Westin Jersey City had exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!