“Room is great - everything else isn't”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Landschlacht, Switzerland
“Room is great - everything else isn't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The room is nice and the layout is exactly as shown on the Westin web page. We actually booked the Premium Corner room. So far so good but once we arrived:

There was no service and all booking requests have been ignored. It's my wife's actual 40 birthday while we are staying here and I asked for a high level floor, advised that we arrive at about 2 pm and asked for a little welcome gesture on the room.

At check in we were advised to go to the mall (after an 10 hours trip) as check in is 3pm and they were all busy yesterday as the hotel was fully booked.
The bell boy took the tip to bring the luggage to our room but it was handed to us in front of the. Check in desk when we came back from the mall.

We didn't get a high floor room and of course nothing on the room.

Breakfast today was not even set up at 8am !! But to make up for the delay he burned our eggs ...

I would suggest to the Westing to offer a 'we make you feel welcome' package that one can buy for 100 Dollar. Such a welcome feeling is obvious not included when you book a room for 300+ per night.

Sorry we booked the Westin... Particular sorry for my wife .... But what was I thinking to expect some friendly attitude for a birthday guest.

Room Tip: Corner rooms - but I wouldn't recommend to stay here ....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matthias Z
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Matthias Z,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. We are sorry to learn that you were disappointed with your recent stay. Your arrival was during a very high occupancy week when we were at 100%. During such times we must allow our Housekeeping staff time to service the rooms and prepare them for the day’s arrivals. We are aware that the process took much longer than expected and are working on ensuring that it is expedited in the future so as not to have the same issues that you experienced happen again. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to experience the service you deserve.

Bhumika Bharucha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed one night for business. The hotel is very conveniently located. Has access to inexpensive transportation to NYC, rooms are spacious, extremely clean and very comfortable. The beds are so comfortable. The hotel personnel was very helpful and attended to each need promptly while I was there. I enjoyed the very dependable and fast internet connection, which is often a frustration to me. At least I did not have to move around my room to keep from loosing connection like I have had to do a couple of times in the past few weeks. Add to that the good price of the internet...FREE! Enjoyed the light weight robe provided...many hotels provide robes, but they are too thick and heavy..this one was just perfect! Air conditioning was wonderful and since I really like a cold room to sleep in, this is very important to me. I was able to adjust the temperature for a perfect night's sleep. The only thing I would like to have that was not provided is shower gel instead of soap only and larger, fluffier towels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I've been holding off on this review because I wanted to have 3 solid weeks (roughly 16 stays) at this hotel prior to reviewing it in order to give a complete review. I should very well call this hotel a home away from home because I'm there every week for business. The hotel doesn't look like much from the outside but once you're inside you'll notice that this hotel is well appointed and modern. Either way, every time I check in I'm always offered a SPG Platinum amenity gift and they always check to see if a suite is available (sometimes I have to ask, other times I don't - it just depends on who is behind the desk). I've always had good experience with the check in process thus far with my stays at this hotel.

The rooms are what you would typically expect in a newer Westin as they are a very good size, has great lighting and more importantly - plenty of outlets. There is nothing worse than going into a hotel where you find 2 outlets. I must admit that there are a good amount of outlets in the room and that is a plus especially when you're on there for business or when you simply have lots of electronics with you. The bathrooms have been spotless thus far and there is plenty of counter space for me to place my collectibles. As far as the items in the room I've only had one iron that was just trash (as in it should have been thrown away - not given away - a long time ago). The beds are lovely which is a big reason why I choose to stay with Starwood. Additionally, the Wi-Fi in the room has been very reliable thus far and it hasn't crapped out on me like other hotels.

Room Service - I've ordered room service more times than I can count. For the most part the room service is prompt and attentive. There was one week where I consistently noticed that there was a lack of attention paid to my orders. It was ridiculous at how they were consistently omitting things I didn't want omitted and adding items I never mentioned at all. Extremely frustrating and annoying and magnify that by 10 because I was hungry. There were a few times where I had to clarify my order to make sure everything was understood. I do commend the staff for the quick turnaround in order to feed its hungry customers. Overall, the room service was good but for some reason it was just that one week where everything was messed up (breakfast and dinner) so hopefully they fix that. Everyone makes mistakes but 4 consecutive mistaken orders is a bit much considering how much money is spent on these meals.

The gym is well appointed and the equipment is taken care of. It gets quite busy in there as this is a popular hotel. I haven't had too much time to explore the surrounding areas but what I have seen is that the Newport Pavonia Mall is a short 4 minute walk and there are a few restaurants that are quite tasty (even for delivery). This Westin is very much in downtown JC so you're close to everything that the city has to offer.

Overall, my stays at the Westin have been excellent and I would certainly recommend this hotel as a great business hotel and a great alternative to the pricey hotels in NYC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Remadrid17,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. This level of detail is important for us so we know that our high level of customer service is worth it. I have forwarded your comments to our Service Express Department’s Management so that we look into the Room Service portion. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We spent six days at this Westin as a base to visit NY City. The stay was absolutely perfect.
Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beds are just awesome. The fitness center is well equiped and the staff is very helpfull and friendly. The location is perfect too. Right next door is a public parking garage and a five minute walk will get you to the PATH station, which will provide access to manhattan in about 10 minutes.
You also have some great views of Manhattan over the Hudson river.
Prices are more reasonable than similar hotels in Manhattan, so definitely recomended for a NY City trip.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Myself and a friend stayed for our Thanksgiving Black Friday sale shopping. Two nights.
The room was a good size.
Clean and modern.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming. Helped with our enquiries.
My only issues were the breakfast didn't start early enough for the thanksgiving sale shopping event. As the shops open all night, perhaps the breakfast could be served earlier .
We weren't the only people up and about. Going shopping at 5 am.
Also the bar was very expensive.

Otherwise. We will stay again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CatnStu
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have family that live in Hoboken and have stayed at the Westin Jersey City numerous times. Last night when I checked into the room and moved the coffee table to make up the fold out sofa we found a broken wine glass with shards of glass still on the floor. There was some red molding wine still in the broken goblet. My granddaughter who is 4 was with us and I was concerned with her walking around the floor with the shards of glass. We then moved the sofa bed and there was used cotton balls, swizler sticks and general trash around. I called the front desk and housekeeping and the managers on duty came to the room. Housekeeping vacuumed the room and removed the glass and debris. They then went to make up the sofa bed and found old sheets still on the sofa bed with either wine stains or lipstick on the sheets. The only nice part was the welcoming and friendly staff who came and tried to do there best to apologize and clean up the mess. They could not do enough. They represented themselves professionally and admirably. Other little things I did not mention to them and we found later like the desk lamp not working, batteries dead in the remotes were just inconveniences. When I chose the Westin properties I had high expectations. Unfortunately with this stay it was not.
Sincerely disappointed,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank John D
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear John D,

I would like to apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly about your stay. Please feel free to contact me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we may discuss further.

Great Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I seem to find myself rating the bathtubs at the hotels I stay at, and the tub in the Premiere room at The Westin is one of the best.
The tub is huge and deep and you have a great view of the NYC skyline.

The room is nice and the bed was very comfortable.
The room was clean.
The front desk employee who checked me in had a bit of an attitude, but everyone else I encountered was pleasant.

Room service was blah, I suggest walking someplace nearby to get food.
Valet parking is expensive but you are in NJ right across from NYC.

The area around the hotel is very nice, not the Jersey City you always heard about.
The hotel is located in a new and upcoming section with a huge (Newport) mall a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and book a premiere room, you won't regret the room, the tub or the view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Tottisahottie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#5 of 13 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#4 of 13 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!