“Maybe it's a Jersey Thing....”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've stayed here for 4 nights each week for the past 4 weeks. Overall, the staff have done their best, but it appears the infamous "Jersey attitude" is alive and well in parts of this hotel.

Issues included Bar Snacks taking a while to arrive (and being cold upon arrival). Second time this happened (a ~35 min wait), I was on the receiving end of a lecture from the barmaid on how cancelling my burger order would put the kitchen staff to great inconvenience!

Last morning at the hotel - 7am - they decided to steam clean the carpet directly outside my room - not a good wakeup call.

And finally - I asked for a copy of the bill at checkout - "We can't give pre-pays bill copies" was the curt response from the checkout clerk. Incredulous, I insisted, The same checkout clerk grudgingly produced......a bill copy!

I'm booked into The Hyatt for the next few months of my NJ trip - hope they're a litlte more welcoming...

Room Tip: If like me you're a Starwood Preferred Guest, then the Westin reserves some upper floors.
1  Thank MartinDe
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hello MartinDe,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further.
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to experience the service you deserve.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great Hotel and customer service. Check in was smooth, room was clean, had a beautiful view of the NY skyline. Great alternative to staying in NYC. The train station was a 2 minute walk away from the hotel which made getting around rather easy. Only negative was that take out was still left in the fridge from the guests who stayed in the room before. Other than that, I couldnt have asked for a more accomodating hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the 10th floor or above for a great view of the NY skyline!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello K242,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the take left in the fridge. I would love to take a look further in this matter and would welcome more information about your reservation. Please feel free to email me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I may go over the refrigerator issue with our Housekeeping Managers.

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you soon for yet another refreshing stay.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel close to downtown New York.It is in a very nice area.We stayed there during weekend so With PATH you can be in New York within 15-20 minutes. We also took a ferry which is 10 min walk from the hotel. It is great experience on a sunny day . They do charge for the parking and a wifi in the rooms. Easy to find it from the Newark airport.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GordanaN33
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hello GordanaN33,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property. I am pleased to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ. Parking lot behind our hotel and our valet parking is owned and managed by Central Parking, thus we don’t have much control over their charges.

Thank you for your loyalty and your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you soon for yet another refreshing stay.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Everything about our stay was great. Service, quality of facility, lounge and restaurant were excellent. Nice location to the Hudson with awesome views of the NYC/Manhattan skyline. Great alternative to staying in NYC as the hotel is just a block from the PATH subway station that will take you to Time Square (or other NYC locations) in just a few minutes.

1  Thank Jack P
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hello Jack P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I don't normally write reviews mid-stay, but I'm so disgusted by the realization that our mini fridge (which doesn't work by the way...) is DISGUSTING. As in, when was the last time this thing was cleaned?!?! There are crusties everywhere and PIECES OF HAIR stuck to the crusties. I tried my best to "clean" what I could, but without cleaning supplies, it's very hard to. I will obviously be requesting that it gets cleaned tomorrow. I know this seems like such a ridiculous reason to give this place 3 stars, but a category 5 SPG property should NOT have these kinds of OBVIOUS issues.

I suppose the traditional room is pretty standard, although I HATE double beds. Why don't they have queen size beds? I find it mildly ironic that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely they will have a 2 queen bed option. The bathroom is smaller than what I'm used to for a Westin...or maybe because this is the first time I wasn't given a complimentary upgrade or paid out of pocket for a "nicer" room and I didn't realize how "small" a standard room bathroom is.

In short, while their "luxury" rooms might be worth the $$$, their standard rooms are just "average"...like equivalent to a Courtyard Marriott (which isn't a bad thing, since I love the Marriott brand, but I wouldn't put a Courtyard and a Westin in the same hotel class, which is why this Westin is slightly disappointing and why I'm slightly shocked it's a category 5).

To end on a high note, the location is great - a few minutes from the PATH train, takes you directly into Manhattan (and so quickly!), and gorgeous view of the NY skyline. If you drove to NYC like we did, it's much more economical to stay on the other side of the Hudson (read: Jersey City or Hoboken) where parking and rooms are cheaper and you don't have to worry about the stress of maneuvering through 24/7 rush hour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Haley G

Greetings Haley G,

Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments about the mini bar to out housekeeping managers so that may sweep on the hotel rooms more thoroughly. In regards to the beds, unfortunately we can’t fit two queen beds in the room comfortably.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I looked at some of the photos people posted and was a little disappointed at my own room as its far less glamourous than some of the others! I have a standard room, which is a good size and is perfectly adequate. However i wasn't asked or informed at check in about my room being a twin with 2 large single beds. Im on my own so thats fine, but it would have been nice to have had the option of a large bed instead. Im on the 19th floor, overlooking the light rail station which gets noisy with all the trains passing and tooting. The area is good, with a macys and a target all close by, the bar is pretty pricey and as with all SPG hotels there is no breakfast included - the cereal is $12 a bowl! The staff are friendly and overall I'm happy here so would recommend it as it is comfortable and spacious enough.

Room Tip: I'm on the side facing the light rail station, which runs from early morning till evening so get...
1  Thank PlaneJane13
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Greeting PlaneJane13,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s wonderful to receive great comments from loyal guests like yourself. My sincerest apologies for the noise disturbances that you had to deal with during your stay with us, please feel free to email me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com and I will be delighted to update your room preference.

Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments about the bar pricing and breakfast to our management staff for their review.
Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was surprised by the ease of getting to Jersey City. Quick train trip from Manhattan or ferry ride and hotel is a block from stations. Nice new building and rooms are in great shape. More space than in Manhattan. Felt welcomed and comfortable.

1  Thank dfutransky

Greetings dfutransky,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. I am delighted to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#7 of 14 in Jersey City
W Hoboken
W Hoboken
#1 of 2 in Hoboken

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!