“Great Staff - Really Made the Difference!”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Jersey City
Virginia
“Great Staff - Really Made the Difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

While I'm a Starwoods Preferred Guest, I rarely stay at a member hotel. I travel domestically and internationally each week, but I generally stay at a Hilton or Marriott property. Both Hilton and Marriott were sold out in NYC last week, so my wife and I chose the Westin Jersey City. First, the location was fantastic! Very upcscale, no crowds, no garbage on the streets, and lots of excellent shopping and restaurants within walking distance. For work, I took the 20 minute PATH train to the City each day (1 block from the Westin). A great mall was directly behind the Westin. Aside from the amenities and great location, the hotel staff was fantastic. The front desk agent was actually friendly and made us feel welcome like we were celebrities. We're Diamond members at Hilton and NEVER receive that type of reception. Upon leaving, I had no ready cash to tip the Bellman. In NYC this would have prompted him to drop my bags in the hallway and walk on. But the gentleman said it was no problem and wished us safe travels (wish I could remember his name). Anyways, I typically stay in the fashion or garment district, and sometimes in Chelsea. But this Newport area in Jersey City is now my favorite location when traveling to NYC. And of course, I'll book the Westin Jersey City (wish I could transfer my 250K Hilton points to Starwood!

Green Features: They have a very eco-friendly A/C system that shuts off when you remove your room key and leave the premises.
1 Thank dwsmith98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a large, glossy impersonal but efficient hotel which is just what you need when travelling for business. My room was spacious and well decorated and even after 10 days I felt sorry to move out. I ate at Fire and Oak (restaurant inside the hotel) on quite a few occasions and the food was always absolutely delicious. Try the ribs and also the seafood pasta dish - amazing! I also swam in the small pool on most days and was almost always the only person in it. The hotel is a 2-3 minute walk to the PATH station (takes you into Manhattan in under 15 mins) and the stroll is lovely as you walk past the Newport marina. I would 100% recommend the Westin for business travel - a great experience. There are other options close by, but the Westin is just a tiny bit more glamorous!

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I've stayed here for 4 nights each week for the past 4 weeks. Overall, the staff have done their best, but it appears the infamous "Jersey attitude" is alive and well in parts of this hotel.

Issues included Bar Snacks taking a while to arrive (and being cold upon arrival). Second time this happened (a ~35 min wait), I was on the receiving end of a lecture from the barmaid on how cancelling my burger order would put the kitchen staff to great inconvenience!

Last morning at the hotel - 7am - they decided to steam clean the carpet directly outside my room - not a good wakeup call.

And finally - I asked for a copy of the bill at checkout - "We can't give pre-pays bill copies" was the curt response from the checkout clerk. Incredulous, I insisted, The same checkout clerk grudgingly produced......a bill copy!

I'm booked into The Hyatt for the next few months of my NJ trip - hope they're a litlte more welcoming...

Room Tip: If like me you're a Starwood Preferred Guest, then the Westin reserves some upper floors.
1 Thank MartinDe
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello MartinDe,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further.
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to experience the service you deserve.

Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Great Hotel and customer service. Check in was smooth, room was clean, had a beautiful view of the NY skyline. Great alternative to staying in NYC. The train station was a 2 minute walk away from the hotel which made getting around rather easy. Only negative was that take out was still left in the fridge from the guests who stayed in the room before. Other than that, I couldnt have asked for a more accomodating hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the 10th floor or above for a great view of the NY skyline!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello K242,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the take left in the fridge. I would love to take a look further in this matter and would welcome more information about your reservation. Please feel free to email me at Bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that I may go over the refrigerator issue with our Housekeeping Managers.

Thank you for your feedback and loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you soon for yet another refreshing stay.

Marblehead, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel close to downtown New York.It is in a very nice area.We stayed there during weekend so With PATH you can be in New York within 15-20 minutes. We also took a ferry which is 10 min walk from the hotel. It is great experience on a sunny day . They do charge for the parking and a wifi in the rooms. Easy to find it from the Newark airport.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GordanaN33
Bhumika B, Executive Assitant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello GordanaN33,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property. I am pleased to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ. Parking lot behind our hotel and our valet parking is owned and managed by Central Parking, thus we don’t have much control over their charges.

Thank you for your loyalty and your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you soon for yet another refreshing stay.

Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Everything about our stay was great. Service, quality of facility, lounge and restaurant were excellent. Nice location to the Hudson with awesome views of the NYC/Manhattan skyline. Great alternative to staying in NYC as the hotel is just a block from the PATH subway station that will take you to Time Square (or other NYC locations) in just a few minutes.

1 Thank Jack P
Bhumika B, Executive Assistant at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello Jack P,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I don't normally write reviews mid-stay, but I'm so disgusted by the realization that our mini fridge (which doesn't work by the way...) is DISGUSTING. As in, when was the last time this thing was cleaned?!?! There are crusties everywhere and PIECES OF HAIR stuck to the crusties. I tried my best to "clean" what I could, but without cleaning supplies, it's very hard to. I will obviously be requesting that it gets cleaned tomorrow. I know this seems like such a ridiculous reason to give this place 3 stars, but a category 5 SPG property should NOT have these kinds of OBVIOUS issues.

I suppose the traditional room is pretty standard, although I HATE double beds. Why don't they have queen size beds? I find it mildly ironic that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely they will have a 2 queen bed option. The bathroom is smaller than what I'm used to for a Westin...or maybe because this is the first time I wasn't given a complimentary upgrade or paid out of pocket for a "nicer" room and I didn't realize how "small" a standard room bathroom is.

In short, while their "luxury" rooms might be worth the $$$, their standard rooms are just "average"...like equivalent to a Courtyard Marriott (which isn't a bad thing, since I love the Marriott brand, but I wouldn't put a Courtyard and a Westin in the same hotel class, which is why this Westin is slightly disappointing and why I'm slightly shocked it's a category 5).

To end on a high note, the location is great - a few minutes from the PATH train, takes you directly into Manhattan (and so quickly!), and gorgeous view of the NY skyline. If you drove to NYC like we did, it's much more economical to stay on the other side of the Hudson (read: Jersey City or Hoboken) where parking and rooms are cheaper and you don't have to worry about the stress of maneuvering through 24/7 rush hour.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Haley G
Greetings Haley G,

Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. Please be assured that I have forwarded your comments about the mini bar to out housekeeping managers so that may sweep on the hotel rooms more thoroughly. In regards to the beds, unfortunately we can’t fit two queen beds in the room comfortably.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#5 of 13 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#4 of 13 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!