“Clean, modern hotel ”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stay here from time to time for work. It is a nice hotel close to the city with easy access to the train across the river to NYC. Modern lobby and nice rooms. Much cleaner and nicer than other equivalent hotels in JC. I would recommend this for work travel or a cheaper alternative to hotels in the city.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Hello Chris S,

I am delighted to hear that you had wonderful stay at our property and our location had a part in the convenience.

Thank you for choosing Westin Jersey City for your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family and I stayed in Westin Hotel Jersey City for 4 nights. This is a great hotel, great location and with wonderful staff. Especially Enrico Cruz (Security Manager) who is very professional and very helpful. Overall, Excellent service!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Hello M B,

I have delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with about Enrico Cruz to our management staff so he can be recognized for job well done.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

It is great hotel with great location and since we were platinum members , we got the best room with the best view to NYC. The hotel is just 2 minutes walk from PATH station from where you are just 10min by train to Manhattan or two stations and for just USD 2.5$ one way. If you travel to Newark airport, this hotel is great, however if you travel to JFK or La Guardia, be prepare to spend USD 100$ for taxi because all the other options will take you around 4 hours to get to the airport. My only problem was that the quality of service (in terms of politeness) of the staff is far away the service you get in SPG hotels in Europe and definitely they will not be our choice when traveling to USA next time. For two days i was asking the reception to send me shampoo and body lotion since the maid cleaning the room was not noticing that we are using them. And to mention that we were supposed to have complimentary water and never was there. In Europe it is just enjoyment to stay in Westin and in USA , is just ordinary hotel that for the money spent, i do not believe that we will come back again.

Room Tip: With a view to NYC are the one with best view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hello Marice81,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I have forwarded your comments to the Front Office Managers and our Housekeeping Managers so that the same issues are not experienced again. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon for another refreshing stay.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Unfortunately, I have not yet stayed at this hotel. I booked a reservation and then had a family emergency and had to cancel. When I booked the reservation, I was aware that it was non-cancelable and non-refundable. I was put in contact with Phillip Min who went above and beyond to help me. I wish to thank the Westin Hotel and Phillip Min personally for all that they did for me. I will plan this trip again and with out a doubt, I will stay with them. Thank you again.

Brent

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the Westin Jersey City three nights April 4th-7th. Upon arrival we encountered an aggressive valet who was very crude, and insistent that we let him park our car without listening, that we were checking in and returning to self park. He followed my father (Who was required for check and the only driver) into the lobby demanding a time-frame, and yelled “You have ten minutes, to move your car or we’ll tow it!” and then smirked to the other valet and walked away.

During check in I mentioned to the evening manger on duty, that the valet was behaving in a unprofessional and rude manner. He scoffed and said “Oh you know how they get” clearly dismissing our concerns. Upon check in, the bellman who escorted us to our room was very courteous, engaging, and professional. He gave very helpful insight, into the JC area and made my family feel at ease. (Sadly we cannot recall his name!)

Upon inspection of the room, I observed that the smoke/carbon monoxide detector was covered in a plastic grocery bag. With great concern, we notified the front desk, to ask if the detector(s) were working. Thereafter;

The front desk dispatched an employee who knocked on the door, in a nondescript uniform and had to be asked several times for identification. The breakdown was further exacerbated due to a heavy language barrier. He barged in, looked up at the smoke detector and immediately accused my dad of placing the bag there, the previous day although we had just checked in. (We’re) Still in shock, he then pointed at my dad and said in a threatening manner “I’m calling security!”. Shortly thereafter two security officers, standing with the “maintenance man” began inappropriately speculating the origin of the “grocery bag on the smoke detector”. They were laughing and offering no clear resolution, or knowledge if the detector was in working order.

I then asked the trio to please quiet down, and called the front desk for the manager on duty. He arrived to the room very flustered, and unaware of the accusations that had been stated against my family. He then conferred with his employees and restated that we had only check in minutes prior. At that point he then could not explain why the bag was there, if it was an oversight left by maintenance or a previous guest, and if the detector was in working order. (Keeping in mind my dad has over 20 years of law enforcement experience, and quickly recognized the interrogative tone used by Westin JC staff, and lack of safety protocols)

I felt that I had no choice but to ask for a room change because we felt unsafe, in a room that had questionable safety equipment. Needless to say it’s very unnerving to encounter blatant oversight of the essentials to a comfortable and safe hotel stay.

Having enjoyed my previous stays, I was very embarrassed by my recommendation to my family. The service has declined greatly in two years and notably so. The complete disregard toward the guests and their hotel experience, is quite evident. The restaurant was very unmentionable, bland and lacking hospitality.

In closing I would not stay here again, and will be searching for another Starwood property in the NYC metro area. I’m saddened to see an establishment with such potential spiraling downward.

Room Tip: Great proximity to the PATH station!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank CVG_insanity13

Hello CVG_insanity13,

Thank your for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. Please accept my sincerest apologies for your experience here at Westin Jersey City. Please know that it not typical of the high level service we provide.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to experience the service you deserve.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

While I'm a Starwoods Preferred Guest, I rarely stay at a member hotel. I travel domestically and internationally each week, but I generally stay at a Hilton or Marriott property. Both Hilton and Marriott were sold out in NYC last week, so my wife and I chose the Westin Jersey City. First, the location was fantastic! Very upcscale, no crowds, no garbage on the streets, and lots of excellent shopping and restaurants within walking distance. For work, I took the 20 minute PATH train to the City each day (1 block from the Westin). A great mall was directly behind the Westin. Aside from the amenities and great location, the hotel staff was fantastic. The front desk agent was actually friendly and made us feel welcome like we were celebrities. We're Diamond members at Hilton and NEVER receive that type of reception. Upon leaving, I had no ready cash to tip the Bellman. In NYC this would have prompted him to drop my bags in the hallway and walk on. But the gentleman said it was no problem and wished us safe travels (wish I could remember his name). Anyways, I typically stay in the fashion or garment district, and sometimes in Chelsea. But this Newport area in Jersey City is now my favorite location when traveling to NYC. And of course, I'll book the Westin Jersey City (wish I could transfer my 250K Hilton points to Starwood!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dwsmith98
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is a large, glossy impersonal but efficient hotel which is just what you need when travelling for business. My room was spacious and well decorated and even after 10 days I felt sorry to move out. I ate at Fire and Oak (restaurant inside the hotel) on quite a few occasions and the food was always absolutely delicious. Try the ribs and also the seafood pasta dish - amazing! I also swam in the small pool on most days and was almost always the only person in it. The hotel is a 2-3 minute walk to the PATH station (takes you into Manhattan in under 15 mins) and the stroll is lovely as you walk past the Newport marina. I would 100% recommend the Westin for business travel - a great experience. There are other options close by, but the Westin is just a tiny bit more glamorous!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
#7 of 14 in Jersey City
W Hoboken
W Hoboken
#1 of 2 in Hoboken

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!