“Outstanding Luxury Hotel at moderate rates”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Lindenhurst, New York
“Outstanding Luxury Hotel at moderate rates”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I attended a wedding in Jersey City on Memorial Day weekend. The bride reserved a block of rooms at the Westin.
We arrived after a long train trip to find our room wouldn't be ready for another half hour. My daughter had a very bad cold and needed to rest, so I asked if anything else was available. The woman helping us said she could offer an upgrade on a higher floor for $20 more a night, and I jumped at the chance.
We checked in to find the standard luxurious Westin room with beautiful beds, stunning bedding and modern furnishings. What we were not prepared for was when we opened the drapes: an absolutely stunning view of Lower Manhattan and the Freedom Tower. It was totally mesmerizing.
The room was luxurious and modern, with large flat screen TV, small refrigerator, and a bath with a rainshower head and lighted makeup mirror. Unfortunately, housekeeping gave us extra bath gel and no shampoo. One phone call and 3 minutes remedied that.
Due to the wedding, this review remains incomplete, because we didn't have a chance to try the pool or the restaurants.
We checked out by the TV. On our way out I caught the eye of someone at the front desk, smiled and said how much we enjoyed our stay. This gentleman, named Patrick, came out from behind the front desk, and escorted us all the way out while asking about our stay.
I worked in Manhattan for 28 years and commuted from the far suburbs for many of them. If I attended a concert on a weeknight I would book a hotel in Manhattan rather than get home at 2am. Trust me, I have paid more at some flea-bag hotels in Manhattan than I paid at the Westin in Jersey City.
The hotel is stunning, and the service we received was top-notch. I highly urge tourists to NYC to stay here. It is a luxury hotel at the price of a moderate Manhattan hotel, and the PATH train ride to NY is shorter than the average Manhattan subway ride.

Room Tip: Pay more for the upper floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Alise H
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Hello Alise H,

I have delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Executive Assistant to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
Bangalore
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here with family combining business and work for 8 nights in May 2014.

The service was outstanding. What we liked were the little touches by the staff to make our stay memorable.

For example, one evening when we returned back to our room, we found a hand-written note from our concierge - Ben - welcoming us back delivered along with little pastries and milk cartons (he had seen our two daughters over the last few days and knew that we needed milk.)

Another instance was when the manager walked over and helped send the fax for me.

Also, if you print out something, the staff bring your printouts up to your room ... a huge luxury if you've had a tiring day and still need to get some more work finished.

Their pool (open till midnight and covered) is another delightful highlight since you can take the kids there in the evenings. The gym is small but functional including weight machines and cardio equipment.

Overall, this hotel is an oasis of hospitality and authentic friendliness in a city which is all too transaction-oriented.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which faces New York City ... the views are gorgeous.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TheTruthBangalore
Hello TheTruthBangalore,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with about Enrico Cruz to our management staff so he can be recognized for job well done.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Usually, I stay at a Marriott because we have timeshares with them, However, this time, the company was paying, and everyone said the Westin in JC was better then the Marriott Courtyard. So, I gave it a try. Glad I did, it was definitely a great hotel, Ate at the restaurant on premises, and it was great, Drinks while relaxing in comfortable chairs looking outside, nice and comfortable and relaxing end of a work day. HIGHLY recommend the Westin if in Newport Jersey City , NJ

Room Tip: Ask for a HIGH ROOM with a view of lower Manhattan, SPECTACULAR Views !!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob U
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello Bob U,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff.

Malden, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here for a conference in Manhattan. The location is close to the Newport PATH and other lines (I think the Long Island Rail), and there is a very large Simon Mall nearby.

My hotel room was good, though if you like a loaded snack bar, forget it, it was empty. There were 2 drawbacks for me. Very limited non-hotel food options - and you will pay a premium to eat here - and it's a very car-centric part of town.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Desiree Z
Hello Desiress Z,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you found your room to be comfortable. Minibars in our rooms, due to the high demand from our guests to have use of an empty mini fridge during their stay to store their own snack or food items, we’ve implemented a service where guests who wish to have a filled mini-bar may purchase food and beverage items from the new Snack Bar menu in the room and have them placed in the mini-fridge for their enjoyment during their stay. With this new service we are able to accommodate guests who prefer to have an empty mini-bar as well as those who prefer to have a filled one.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel to experience the service you deserve.

Boston
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stay here from time to time for work. It is a nice hotel close to the city with easy access to the train across the river to NYC. Modern lobby and nice rooms. Much cleaner and nicer than other equivalent hotels in JC. I would recommend this for work travel or a cheaper alternative to hotels in the city.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello Chris S,

I am delighted to hear that you had wonderful stay at our property and our location had a part in the convenience.

Thank you for choosing Westin Jersey City for your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon for another enjoyable stay.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My family and I stayed in Westin Hotel Jersey City for 4 nights. This is a great hotel, great location and with wonderful staff. Especially Enrico Cruz (Security Manager) who is very professional and very helpful. Overall, Excellent service!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello M B,

I have delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with about Enrico Cruz to our management staff so he can be recognized for job well done.

Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

It is great hotel with great location and since we were platinum members , we got the best room with the best view to NYC. The hotel is just 2 minutes walk from PATH station from where you are just 10min by train to Manhattan or two stations and for just USD 2.5$ one way. If you travel to Newark airport, this hotel is great, however if you travel to JFK or La Guardia, be prepare to spend USD 100$ for taxi because all the other options will take you around 4 hours to get to the airport. My only problem was that the quality of service (in terms of politeness) of the staff is far away the service you get in SPG hotels in Europe and definitely they will not be our choice when traveling to USA next time. For two days i was asking the reception to send me shampoo and body lotion since the maid cleaning the room was not noticing that we are using them. And to mention that we were supposed to have complimentary water and never was there. In Europe it is just enjoyment to stay in Westin and in USA , is just ordinary hotel that for the money spent, i do not believe that we will come back again.

Room Tip: With a view to NYC are the one with best view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello Marice81,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I have forwarded your comments to the Front Office Managers and our Housekeeping Managers so that the same issues are not experienced again. Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon for another refreshing stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#4 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!