“Great stay - no complaints!!!”

The Westin Jersey City Newport
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I drove in on Thursday, June 26th from 95-S and traffic was horrendous. At one point trying to get to Holland Tunnel my GPS indicated I had 11 minutes left to arrive at hotel. It took 1 hour from that point. I sat in traffic and watched the light change over and over again with no movement. So when I arrived at the hotel, I was beyond exhausted. I self-parked in the parking garage for $22 a night. There were signs for Westin, JcPenny's, and Macys. I headed to the hotel, which was a very short walk. There was no line at check-in. The lady at check-in was about to hand me my room card when she read my request not to be near the elevator and said she needed to change my room. I took the opportunity to ask if my new room would have the tub as I read in other reviews. She playfully pondered my inquiry for a short while and I thought for a moment she would give me a room with tub, but then said that would require an upgrade charge of $80. I took the card for my room without tub. I was on the 15th floor. I had their standard room that did not have a nice view. I dropped my bag and headed to the mall food court to get a bite. I didn't feel like a waiting for room service or going to hotel restaurant Fire and Oak, which when I passed by maybe had 1 person seated and it was 6:30pm. I surmise the hotel didn't have many guests during my 1 night stay. When I arrived home last night from my travels, I realized I did not have Yankee Candle purchase. I lost bag between food court and hotel. I was not happy about that - I was so tired that I may have laid it on counter while I placed food order and waited. I hope someone enjoyed the items. Receipt was in the bag. Food was cold and my room did not have a microwave. I slept comfortably. I had a seamless check out from TV in room. Still not fully awake, I was happy to see that they provided coffee in the lobby - NOT!!!! After grabbing cup, I saw price list signs. Small coffee was almost $3. Paid for coffee and headed to garage for car. The credit card reader in self-paying machine did not work. I was glad I had cash and was not in a rush. My issues were not hotel related.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bhumika B, Executive Office at The Westin Jersey City Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hello kadickerson,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities of the hotel. I am, however, sorry to hear that you have many non-hotel issues.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Jersey City Newport

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and always been pleased with the service. It is a very well run Westin that provides what you expect from the brand. Location is good with easy access to NYC via the NJ Path nearby. The hotel is clearly very well managed and service is always very pleasant and responsive. Patrick Cavanagh at the Front Desk is one of the best I have encountered and a great asset to Starwood.

Hello Dubin115,

I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with about Patrick to our management staff so he can be recognized for job well done.

Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed for one night at the Westin in advance of a meeting. The staff, rooms and common areas were all typical of a nice Westin. It is conveniently located near the PATH station (across the street), Lightrail (behind) and is walkable to many shops and restuarants in the area including the mall. My only negative is I thought $31 for valet parking was pretty pricey. I was too tired when I pulled in to deal with self parking but if I return I would investigate to see if there is a cheaper option - there are plenty of garages in the area. As of late I have been alternating between the W in Hoboken, the Sheraton in Weehawkin and now this property. The W being the nicest, then this hotel, then the Sheraton in that order.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

After a very arduous 24 hours escorting a young lady to substance abuse treatment, it was very refreshing to finally land in a hotel that was ready for us and made our stay very relaxing and comfortable.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a weekend in March to celebrate our anniversary. We wanted to experience the 5-star luxury of the "Big Apple" while staying within budget, and this hotel did just that.

THE GOOD:
- The room was pretty big for the NYC area.
- Room was very clean, almost seemed brand new. Bed was super comfortable.
- The million-dollar view of the WTC tower and downtown Manhattan was visible from anywhere in the room. Large windows were a definite plus.
- Bathroom was AMAZING. Large soaking tub, "rain" showerhead, double sinks/vanities.
- Right down the street from the Newport Mall and a Chili's restaurant (for fast, casual, cheap dining on the go).
- Newport is a surprisingly beautiful area. When you've spent the whole day in dirty downtown Manhattan, it's refreshing to come home to a cute waterfront mini-city.

THE BAD
- One of the faucets in the bathroom sink was broken. We didn't feel like complaining, but hopefully it's fixed by now.
- Room service was overpriced. We paid at least $10 for a "brownie sundae" of sorts that was basically raw brownie batter/undercooked.
- During check-in and check-out, the front desk employees wouldn't stop bothering us about the Westin Rewards Program. I get that they're required to ask all guests, but we declined- twice!- and they were STILL pushing us. Not a good look.

Room Tip: The deluxe room with the soaking tub is definitely worth it. The view of the city is priceless.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heidifaith0

Hello Heidifaith0,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. Feedback is our best opportunity to hear the voice of the customer, and to learn the areas in which we can improve our service. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities of the hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt pressured into signing up for SPG.

Please feel free to email me at bhumika.bharucha@westin.com so that we I can look into your stay further and check on broken bathroom sink you mentioned.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming soon for refreshing stay and providing you with the consistent service you deserve.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Hotel is in a great location I must say we stayed on 14th floor could see WTC Tower from a piece of windows rooms were very cheap , bathroom was ridiculously small and a tub from
Home Depot, the coffee maker made me stain my shirt as it had a leak almost got burned definitely not worth the price other then location this hotel should be 2 1/2 stars and a lot cheaper

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Iliketotravel305
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel is located in the newly upmarket section of Jersey City called Newport. On the river's edge, the Westin is a less-than-5-minute walk from the PATH train which can run travelers into New York City in minutes. The staff were pleasant and helpful, offering at one point in my stay to change my room due to noisy neighbors. My Junior Suite was spacious and quiet, with phenomenal views of the river. There was room enough to spread out and work in one area, relax in another, and sleep in yet another. There are plenty of restaurants nearby, as well as a shopping mall, replete with movie theater in case travelers want to catch a film or have teens traveling with them. The waterfront walkways across the street are also perfect for romantic strolls.

Room Tip: Higher floors being better views at this property.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DrShan

Hello DrShan,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel. As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such encouraging comments from our valued guests, and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. I am delighted to hear that our hotels location perfect for your trip to NY/NJ.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jersey City
#5 of 14 in Jersey City
The Holland Hotel
The Holland Hotel
#7 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Westin Jersey City Newport? Share your experiences!