“What happened to this place”
Review of La Conguita Restaurant - CLOSED

La Conguita Restaurant
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Used to come her so often the owner and waiters knew us by name. The food was great, plentyfull, the service was always slow so no news there. After the remodelling they took on more customers than they could handle. The quality and flavor suffered, the prices went up but everything else went down. sad

Reviewed 3 February 2013

This corner restaurant doesn't look particularly special; but when we tasted our food we were impressed. We ordered off the lunch menu, which is a great value. I had the Yuca - excellent! These are large sized appetizers. For an entree I had the grilled sea bass. It was served with vegetables and a sauce that was unbelievably good. The only down side was that we wanted to eat everything on our plates and we didn't have room for dessert - which must be wonderful. Go!

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I should've never gone because my instincts and past experience at this location was bad enough, that I walked out 4 or 5 years ago, but a couple of my friends wanted to check it out. I decided to give it a 2nd chance.

The place was empty when we arrived. I'd think under those circumstances that we'd get prompt service. I was wrong. After we all put in our order, it just went downhill from there. The server didn't listen to our instructions as to how we wanted our courses to come out. We waited an excessive amount of time and it seemed that different orders for myself and friends were arriving at 15 minute intervals per person.

There were 5 of us. I wanted my salad and entree to come out together, that didn't happen. My salad came out first after a 20 minute wait. My friend wanted his salad before his meal and that never happened. After about 15, 20 minutes they realized he didn't have his salad and brought out one that he didn't order. He of course sent it back and opted to noteat salad at all. After about another 15 minutes, his side dishes came out but without his entree.

We couldn't help but notice that a couple that arrived 20 minutes after we had put in our order had their meal served promptly, before any of us even had a had anything to eat. As annoying as all of this was we did eat because we were all famished, but the food wasn't even worth it.

After we were finally done over an hour later, the server had the audacity to ask my friend whose entree was still missing what type of fish he wanted and how he wanted it prepared. We were all in disbelief at that question because he was the 2nd person to put in his order. Of course he no longer wanted it at that point. My one friend asked for his flan dessert and that took another 15 minutes. It tasted eggy and wasn't very good.

After all of that they had the nerve to bring out bread pudding on the house as if that were going to rectify anything.That was adding insult to injury. I will never ever set foot in there again. Worse dining experience ever.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Popular place during the day downtown. Food is very good but takes a while to get a waiter and they always seem to not give a damn about you.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Went for dinner on a slow night with a friend. Only 4 tables or so were filled. Waited for bread 15 mins, Didn't come out. Had to ask for it by going up to the counter. Servier MIA. About 25-30 mins, with no explanation fr server, food finally came. It was between warm to borderline cold. Flavor was bland and beans watery. Looks like the changed their recipe or not the usual chef that night. We had to pile on hot sauce and all the condiments at the table to bring it up to snuff. Server clears our table. Believe it or not 10 mins later server is MIA again, no check or question to find out if we want our check. Went to counter to ask for it. Had to call the server fr basement who came up goofing, laughing with no care in the world that a customer is standing there at their counter waiting for the check. Arrogance? Ignorance? Or both? Don't know. Bad and sad. I used to like this place a lot.