“Horrible Food, Horrible Service, Horrible Atmosphere. Don't Waste Your Time.”
Review of Michael Anthony's - CLOSED

Michael Anthony's
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 6th Street
Transit: Pavonia/Newport Light Rail & Path Station.
Description: Michael Anthony's, a waterfront restaurant specializing in fine Italian dining, events and catering.
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My fiance and I had been waiting to try Michael Anthony's for some time but never got the chance to get over to Newport as we live in Paulus Hook. We wanted to try something different and had heard good things.

We ended up making reservations for Restaurant Week back in October 2012 but Hurricane Sandy hit and we never made it.

Last week for Restaurant Week, we decided to take another stab at it.

We walked in with 7:30PM reservations on a Friday evening and the hostess looked extremely confused. I must add that they actually called me earlier that day to confirm the reservation so I wasn't sure what the issue was. We had to wait around 10 minutes at the bar which wasn't bad at all.

The atmosphere is very awkward. With a huge warehouse feel, you would think they would make room for more tables but it's such a waste of space. There were two large private parties going on at the time so the entire front area was taken. We were banished to the 'patio' where there are tables upon tables cramped together.

We were seated next to a family with two small children and that's when we knew it was going downhill.

We ordered off the restaurant week menu and I got the eggplant rollatini, pasta primavera, and then was told that they were out of the brownie dessert.

It took 35 minutes to receive our appetizer. All the while, listening to the children next to us scream, throw utensils and run around the 'patio.' As hungry as we were, the food was HORRIBLE and something out of a TV dinner. You could tell the re-heated the food as the plate was too hot to touch.

Dinner came within 20 minutes after our appetizers and was just really disappointing. Again, something I could order at a fast food place.

The service was lackluster - having to ask our waiter for bread for our 35+ minute wait while every other table had some.

We couldn't wait to get out of there and learned out lesson regarding leaving Paulus Hook for dinner. Do not waste your time here.

I would also like to add that I can't believe people host their rehearsal dinner & weddings here. It is extremely loud, very public and the food is horrible. What are you thinking?

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Found this just by walking around and thought it looked interesting enough right at the waters edge. There's a bar and tables that extend under an awning to enjoy the fresh air and awesome view' of NYC.

We tried a coconut shrimp from the 1/2 price happy hour bar menu, very good. Every time I checked the skyline view it was different as the sunset and more incredible each time. After a couple hours, we ordered the Flank Steak and it was fine or decent enough, not a disappointment, but no wow either.

Price was fair, food was good, but the view made up for any shortcomings and well worth the trip. Go there on a clear day before the crappy weather shows up and stay to watch the views enjoying a few cocktails.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My friends and I went to Michael Anthony's for Hudson Restaurant Week. The appetizer we ordered - eggplant rollantini, was ok. However the lunch entrees and dessert were terrrible. I ordered the filet mignon with wild mushroom, sweet potato and asparagus. The filet mignon was overcooked as well as the asparagus and there weren't any mushrooms on the plate, The sweet potatoe was mushy on top but had pieces under that were not completely mashed and still tender.

So all in all, as my friend put it, we paid $15 for an ok eggplant rollantini.

I would also not go there again for lunch or any other meal.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My 2 friends and I went there today, 8/1/13, for Hudson Restaurant Week. The lunch menu was appetizing for a 3-course lunch for $15.00. We order the appetizer - eggplant rollantini. It was good. However the actual lunch entree was terrrible. We ordered ordered two filet mignon with wild mushroom, sweet potato and asparagus and the chicken topped with asparagus and mozzarella with sun dried tomato in a francese sauce. The filet mignon jus was delicious although there weren't any mushrooms on site however, the filet mignon was overcooked as well as the asparagus. Meanwhile the chicken was dry and bland. We also ordered dessert; the warm brownie was edible but not really tasty and the cheesecake was terrible. So all in all, as my friend said, we paid $15 for the eggplant rollantini. I would not go there again for lunch or any other meal.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

View was best part of the evening. Food was ok nothing special. Waiter took a lot of time to show up at our table once he did he was fine.