I don't typically criticize service, but was disappointed with the staff during our recent stay. Check in was fast, but then she gave us a disability accessible room for no reason. The hotel was not crowded and we never saw anyone on our floor the two days we were there. Why the d/a room I don't know. Even so, that would not have been a big deal, the room appeared to be a normal room, but we only received two bath towels even though the reservation was clearly for four people. The next morning I easily obtained 4 more when I asked at the front desk. I also wondered why, if the hotel was as empty as it appeared, a special effort was not given to give us a room with a better view. Perhaps I should have asked. Anyway,I found some of this kind of strange and unnecessary, and would have appreciated a little extra effort under the circumstances.
The young ladies who worked The Bistro and served me my coffee in the morning also left something to be desired. The first day (July 4) the one who waited on me was grumpy but got my order correct. The one who served me the second day got me Starbucks Blonde roast even though I clearly requested dark roast. Then when I paid her $10.31 for a $4.31 tab, she gave me $5.49 instead of $6. When I politely reminded her of what I paid, she was flustered and turned to the other young lady (the one from yesterday) and said, "now what I do?" The other quickly opened the drawer and handed me my $6. No real harm done here, but this is at 7:30 am and I am the only one at the counter. I'd like to think they paid some attention and weren't bothered I was there ordering coffee.
In summary, I don't think the staff was incompetent, certainly not rude, or even unaccommodating. I would describe them as inattentive, and when you are competing with so many hotels for travelers' business, you don't need an inattentive staff.
On the plus side, and there are many, the hotel was clean, updated, and very accessible. Apparently not very busy, as we literally never saw another soul on our floor the entire visit. Very quiet, even though our room on the second floor (#209) overlooked the street in front. When we arrived around 3:30 pm on July 3, I drove right up, dropped the car with the valet who had it ready and waiting when we called down for it on the morning we left (July 5 at 8:15 am). The proximity to the PATH train into NYC can't be beaten or overstated. It's literally next door and mere steps away. Now taking the PATH on an 85 degree July day is no picnic, especially late at night when the trains fill up with people leaving Manhatten, but if you are driving to NYC (we had no choice as we were visiting family in upstate NYC first), then this location and cost are outstanding. I booked on the Marriott website and my entire bill, for two nights with valet parking ($16/day) was $440. So if I ever drive to NYC again, I will definitely consider this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Courtyard Jersey City Newport, a tranquil oasis near the excitement of the city, boasts the ideal location near New York City and all that it has to offer. As one of the premier Jersey City hotels near Hoboken, NJ, guests can take advantage of our close proximity to Newport Centre Mall and other popular area attractions. The update lobby at our Newport hotel features modern design, multifunctional common areas, and convenient amenities. Unique among hotels in Jersey City, our GoBoard(R) allows guests to stay current with the latest in entertainment, news, weather and airport conditions. As an added feature standing out from other Hoboken hotels, The Bistro - Eat. Drink. Connect.(R) - serves fresh meals for guests to wine and dine with colleagues or friends and family. Our spacious accommodations feature contemporary design, luxury bedding, large work areas, and more. Guests will experience both the quality of a Marriott hotel and all of the comforts of home when staying at the Courtyard Jersey City Newport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Courtyard Jersey City Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Jersey City Newport Hotel Jersey City
- Jersey City Courtyard
- Jersey City Marriott
- Courtyard Jersey City Newport New Jersey