“Fine facility, inattentive service”

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Carmel, IN
“Fine facility, inattentive service”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I don't typically criticize service, but was disappointed with the staff during our recent stay. Check in was fast, but then she gave us a disability accessible room for no reason. The hotel was not crowded and we never saw anyone on our floor the two days we were there. Why the d/a room I don't know. Even so, that would not have been a big deal, the room appeared to be a normal room, but we only received two bath towels even though the reservation was clearly for four people. The next morning I easily obtained 4 more when I asked at the front desk. I also wondered why, if the hotel was as empty as it appeared, a special effort was not given to give us a room with a better view. Perhaps I should have asked. Anyway,I found some of this kind of strange and unnecessary, and would have appreciated a little extra effort under the circumstances.

The young ladies who worked The Bistro and served me my coffee in the morning also left something to be desired. The first day (July 4) the one who waited on me was grumpy but got my order correct. The one who served me the second day got me Starbucks Blonde roast even though I clearly requested dark roast. Then when I paid her $10.31 for a $4.31 tab, she gave me $5.49 instead of $6. When I politely reminded her of what I paid, she was flustered and turned to the other young lady (the one from yesterday) and said, "now what I do?" The other quickly opened the drawer and handed me my $6. No real harm done here, but this is at 7:30 am and I am the only one at the counter. I'd like to think they paid some attention and weren't bothered I was there ordering coffee.

In summary, I don't think the staff was incompetent, certainly not rude, or even unaccommodating. I would describe them as inattentive, and when you are competing with so many hotels for travelers' business, you don't need an inattentive staff.

On the plus side, and there are many, the hotel was clean, updated, and very accessible. Apparently not very busy, as we literally never saw another soul on our floor the entire visit. Very quiet, even though our room on the second floor (#209) overlooked the street in front. When we arrived around 3:30 pm on July 3, I drove right up, dropped the car with the valet who had it ready and waiting when we called down for it on the morning we left (July 5 at 8:15 am). The proximity to the PATH train into NYC can't be beaten or overstated. It's literally next door and mere steps away. Now taking the PATH on an 85 degree July day is no picnic, especially late at night when the trains fill up with people leaving Manhatten, but if you are driving to NYC (we had no choice as we were visiting family in upstate NYC first), then this location and cost are outstanding. I booked on the Marriott website and my entire bill, for two nights with valet parking ($16/day) was $440. So if I ever drive to NYC again, I will definitely consider this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Please accept my sincere apology for the room selection by our Front Desk Staff and also the inattentiveness of some members of our staff. We take comments from our guests very serious; all comments are reviewed at our daily staff meetings to help us improve our level of service to our guests.
Please let me know if your travel brings you back to our area so that I can personally attend to your accommodations.
John Rojan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Kaysville, Utah
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Loved the lobby, loved the personnel-very helpful and accomodating.. The room was quiet, very clean, very comfortable. Very modern. Loved the computers in the lobby for easy access. Wish they offered a free breakfast, that was the only disadvantage. Great location.You can get right on the PATH outside the hotel and access the NY subway.Good value for price paid. Parking is valet and costs $16 a day.Target close by. We got a good laugh one night: we requested and extra blanket and 2 clean towels and they brought up a tablecloth and two pillowcases. We laughed so hard.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Typical Courtyard Marriott but with the new modern lounge decor in the lobby area. Excellent staff that helped me print 10 copies of a client deliverable including 2 copies in color at my request. Bianca did not have to accommodate me but she was able, willing, and went out of her way to print copies for me. Other staff were helpful with dinner recommendations, Nearby Church locations, and informing me of the exact location of the Path train. Kudos to the management for taking care of your guests and the excellent customer service. Finally, this Courtyard has a very nice outdoor patio area with upscale furniture across from the pool and workout room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael T
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I had a stay in this hotel with my wife and 2 young kids for 3 nights in June 2013 for a sightseeing vacation to NYC. The stay was absolutely outstanding! Here are all of the things we enjoyed:
- Impossible to get any closer to the PATH train entrance
- $16 in-out valet parking per day
-10th floor room
-Excellent courteous service from the staff (check-in/front desk, room cleaning, food)
- Nice contemporary décor in lobby and rooms
-Refrigerator in room
-Nice hot and continental breakfast options included in our rate
-Light dinner options at lobby restaurant
I honestly can't think of anything I didn't like about it but if I were to pick one, its that the view of the Manhattan skyline is partially obstructed from our room window. I'd take that any day with the rate and sheer convenience we experienced.

1 Thank Ruben F
USA
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We were greeted with very friendly and courteous service; the valet was beyond helpful, the concierge was smiling and friendly. The room was clean and spacious. The food service was friendly, helpful, and caring. The only downside is the size of the bathrooms; but this was an acceptable side effect for the excellent service received.

Room Tip: I recommend the use of valet parking as it is cheaper than self parking.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank POPPOPWHAT
Kensington, Maryland
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I've traveled for business and family wekends often for several years and this hotel, which I visit often for business, has the most responsive, pleasant and efficient staff I've ever met. From the General Manager to food service to the desk clerks to the valet parking attendants I've never found any other hotel that matches the Courtyard Marriott in Jersey City. The hotel is minutes from the center of Manhatten by rail ( right next door to the hotel), charming Hoboken and everywhere in the metropolitan area. The room rates are always better than downtown NYC--or other Jersey City locations, and with the service you get at this hotel I consider it the best value anywhere. Think location, location, location; great staff and great $ value.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cobleskill, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel was great. We checked in at around 9pm on a Friday. It took five minutes and we got into our room very fast. Valet parking was great and it was a great non-smoking hotel! The second day we stayed, we were on another reservation but the management allowed us to stay in the same room! We also had a problem with our air-conditioner, which was fixed immediately. And to all the bed bug freaks out there, NO BEDBUGS or any other bugs. Check out was as fast and simple as check in. If you want to go to NYC but need someplace cheaper, STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Even though it says on their website that high floors have NYC views, there are too many buildings i...