“Great value, comfortable, calm and accessible”

Courtyard Jersey City Newport
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Montreal
“Great value, comfortable, calm and accessible”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at the Marriott, traveling with a my pre-teenager (party of 2). Had a pleasant stay for about 350$ per night.

Location:
Hotel is conveniently located next to the PATH entry (60 sec walk, really) allowing you quick access to World Trade Center or a series of subways from 9th (or 14th?) to 33rd. Parking is 18$ per day with in and out privileges and the hotel is easy to access by car. Going to Times Squares and returning to the hotel with PATH and subways cost $10 pp. There are 5-10 restaurants near by, excluding those located in the food court of the mall a few hundred yards away (nicely located behind an office tower; you go through the office tower to enter the mall). The neighbourhood is crispy clean and you'll feel safe.

Rooms
The rooms are usual Mariott standard: quiet, comfortable and clean. We asked for king size bed and we were lucky enough to get a room and a separate dining/living room with sink, microwave and mini-fridge (always good to get your fruits and veggies when traveling) with sofa and second tv. I also liked the fact that the vanity and bathroom sink where outside the washroom. We did not spend to much time in the room as we were blessed with great weather, but had we had rainy weather, we would not have minded staying-in a little more.

Hotel Services and activities
In all Mariott I stayed, breakfast was included. This was not the case. Still, the have something like a Premium Starbuck coffee on site open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They serve Starbuck coffee, but also have a reasonable meal offering for breakfast (eggs, bacon, cereals, bagels, pancakes or was it waffles?). I did not really look at the lunch and dinner items.

Swimming pool and fitness. No spa.
Facilities are ok. The pool and hot but are great when traveling with kids. Would have liked to have a spa or services for massage.

Paid approx. 350$ per night and consider it is good value for the location. Couryards are usually less expensive, but similar Manhattan hotels are at least 50-100$ more expensive, you won't get the pool and the city noise is likely to wake you up (or worse, wake up the kids) at 6:30am (that's from experience).

If you are taking a 1-2 nights romantic trip, going by air or train, than maybe it could be a good idea to consider Manhattan. If you're on a 3 or more days trip, with kids, you'll be extremely satisfied with this hotel.

Room Tip: Some room face Manhattan (ours did) and some have a closed bedroom.
Green Features: Not enough space to hang the towers to let them dry and reuse on the next day Could not find the recycling bin in the room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Montreal-PQ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Absolutely awful experience. Room wasn't serviced, it was empty all day, and no, there was no do not disturb sign on display. When I returned in the afternoon and asked for the room to be cleaned, it wasn't. I returned at around 10 30pm and had to wait for ten minutes at reception and ask for towels and soap as they didn't bring them to my room when requested. Staff unfriendly and just simply don't care. Don't stay here, it is high on the list of the worst places I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Don't bother, stay in one of the better hotels nearby.
Green Features: LEDs, recycled air con...no. Why should the Customer subsidise the cost cutting initiatives hidden behind the face of environmentally friendly hotels? If we don't change the bed linen or re-use the towels, do we get a rebate...no! I rest my case.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Intellian
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. So sorry that you did not received our best level of service during your stay.
Please give me call at 201-626-6600 so that we can review the incident in more detail.
Blandford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nice. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Great location for Jersey City, as long as you can navigate the construction and confusion of the roads to get here. I did not have a bad experience. However, close to $400 a night after taxes and parking is more than I expect for a courtyard.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on Trip Advisor about your stay here at the Jersey City Newport Courtyard.
So sorry you were disappointed about our hotel rates, our rates are established based on the area rates and demand, and rates differ per day and week depending on demand for rooms in our area.
We hope you will try us again possibly in a different day of the week when our rates may be lower.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was everything I expected from a Courtyard Marriott. It was right next to the train station which allowed me to get into and out of the city with no problems. the staff from the time I checked in until I checked out were wonderful. I had a problem with the TV remote but within 5 minutes of contacting the desk there was someone at me door to resolve the problem. I would stay in this hotel every new york trip. I also love the face that I could walk across the street to a full shopping mall.

Dwayne W
Room #619
June 13 - 15 , 2014

Room Tip: I was on the front side of the hotel which was fine for me.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dwayne W
07Yankees07
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stay here quite often while traveling for business. The hotel is clean, rooms very spacious and hotel staff extremely friendly. There is not a lot to do in Jersey City after work, but it is located next door to the PATH, so you have an easy trip to Manhattan. It is also an easy walk to Hoboken where there are plenty of restaurants and bars for entertainment. If you want to stay close to the hotel, Dorrian's is a restaurant/bar across the street from the hotel. Nothing fancy, but a good spot to grab some food and watch a game.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 07Yankees07
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's a good hotel, spacious & clean room, staff very attentive and nice, wi-fi internet available, its location is very good, next to Newport train station which facilitates commuting to Manhattan.
I stayed in a front room and didn't hear any noise.

Room Tip: I didn't spotted any issue with the room that I choose.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Vlad-CWB
John R, General Manager at Courtyard Jersey City Newport, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Vlad,
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent stay here with us at the Jersey City Newport Courtyad. So glad you took full advantage of our convenient location to New York City and local attractions.
Do hope you visit us again in the near future.
Charlton MA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great time at this hotel. I traveled with my sister to visit her daughter and family in Hoboken and I visited with my son on New York City. Both places were close and were able travel between NY and NJ with no problems. We love the pool, hot tub and restaurant on site. The weather wasn't the best but we enjoyed our stay and will most likely be returning to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family