“Disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Jersey City
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

After having stayed ten days earlier at the MARRIOT COURTYARD a mile away, this was a disappointing hotel. The rooms( living and bed) were old and tired, there was no linen replacement, even the coffee sachet was one-time only though we stayed for three nights. I suppose that is the price one pays for picking a relatively cheap hotel in Jersey City!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear weeblepimkin,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property

I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the room condition fell below your standards. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and two grown up kids and a grand child stayed for a few days in March 2013.
Checking was quite smooth and staff proved to be just professional. Rooms are clean and neat with decent facilities. Very suitable for business travel and short stays as the hotel is close to public transport and major shopping centers in this part of Jersey city.
The hotel is a 2/3 star facility, no more.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms seem to be better for the view across tall buildings.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear brakaba,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. I am happy to read you had a smooth check in and did appreciate our rooms, We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am sorry that on this day we were not able to meet your expectations especially with some aspects of our hotel facilities. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Thank you again for your review. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N
Ashland, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for approximately 3 months while working in the area, and then stayed when I would get short term assignments due to its close proximity to mass transit and NYC.

Cleanliness: Very Good
Cost: Average to High
Staff: Like a crap shoot some are great...others are...well there

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank barrettshawn
gmcandlewoodjc, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for providing your feedback. I am glad that you had a good stay and hope to see you again soon.
London
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed for business for just over eight days. I arrived early evening, but after having read some of the reviews here had my secretary call up to confirm that I would be staying. No problems at check-in, and staff was friendly. I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite. As far as I could tell you are expected to carry your suitcase to your room itself - but that was fine for me.

I was on the second floor, facing north (although not much of a view you could see the Empire State Building in the far distance). The suite itself consisted of the main room with the kitchen, sitting area, TV and desk, separate bedroom (double bed and TV), and bathroom.
The kitchen had a full sized fridge/ freezer, full sized dishwasher, microwave, and a small two ring hob. The kitchen, crockery etc. were all clean.
Nice big desk which separated the kitchen area from the sitting area. Comfortable sitting area.
Bed was comfortable too, both the matress and the pillows, and it was nice having another TV in the bedroom.
Bathroom was big, but could not use the bath as the plug was not working. Shower however worked fine. No showergel provided, only soap and a shampoo/conditioner. Plenty of towels. Again, both bathroom and rooms were clean.
After having read some of the reviews on tripadviser I was a bit worried. So - although there is a slight curry smell, it is by no means so unpleasant that it is impossible staying in the room. However, I did buy a candle...
Also, I was worried about bed bugs - but I was fine.
Finally, the heater. It was LOUD, and I am glad that I had a separate bedroom (the heater was in the main room). The heater would come on with a movement sensor, and you actually had to turn up the TV in order to hear anything. If you did not move the heater would turn itself off until you moved again...

The hotel provides a gym, but it did look really small. It also provides a small 'shop' - however, this is really only for some of the essentials (after arriving late it was nice to be able to pick up some essentials for breakfast). I don't think it is designed as a main food shop.
The Ritebuy is only a block away - a shop big enough for you to do your weekly shop (and because of the freezer, you could actually do a weekly shop).

Cleaner only comes one once a week - and this was quite nice so that I did not have to tidy every morning before leaving for work. However, the room did look like a tip after a week...

Security is good - I called for food, and before the delivery guy was allowed up reception called to check that I did order food.

Phone connection was a pain. For someone to call they had to call front desk and be connected several times - line was so bad that I could not understand a word.

Wifi, on the other hand, was good - and thanks to some of the reviews here I knew that the password would be reset - so I was prepared (but they do not tell you).

Location is very good - a five minute walk to the PATH station at Exchange Place, and a 10 min walk to Newport (although you could take the light rail for two stops - it stops outside the hotel). One block to the gocery shop, and a mall at Newport PATH station. The area felt safe walking after dark.

Overall a nice clean place to stay for business (or pleasure). No luxuries, but I appreciated having the kitchen so that I was not reliant on restaurant food for the whole time. I was also pleased that I had a better experience than some of the reviews that had me quite worried.

Room Tip: A higher floor is probably quieter, and safer
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 1X2
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for providing your very detailed feedback. We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and hope to see you again soon.
Longport, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Arrived at 11:00pm last night, confirmation number in hand, and was turned away because there were no rooms available. Stood at the counter for almost 30 minutes while they tried to call around to other hotels. Finally, George, who was the most rude, condescending, and arrogant person I ever met, offered us a room at a hotel 20 miles away!! Did I say it was now 11:30pm?! and he wanted us to drive 40 minutes to a place where we had not idea where it was.
He told us that just because we had a confirmation number it did not guarantee us a room. Never heard of this before in my life!
George should be fired for the way he treated us….or at least reprimanded. There was a complete lack of customer service.

Room Tip: Please don't stay here. That's my tip.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank 19NOVA
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear 19NOVA,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Janice A
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Since this is a "suite", there is no room service for stays under one week. We actually preferred it that way - I am perfectly capable of making my own bed, but if I needed new towels, I had to physically go to the front desk to swap them myself. For the price we paid for our stay, I'd expect someone could bring them to our room while making the rounds.

As other reviews mentioned, there is a distinct, sharp odor of cleaning materials/disinfectant when first entering the room. It's good to know the room actually gets cleaned between guests...but the smell was quite off-putting for the first day or so. Bed was comfortable but seemed somewhat smaller than a regular queen size and the two of us were a bit cramped for space. The weirdest thing was the kitchenette setup - the lower cabinet that housed the trash could not close because the lid bumped into the disposal unit underneath the sink! We had to physically remove the lid to get the door to close. Certainly not the end of the world, but you'd think...

We had a first floor room overlooking the parking lot. It was surprisingly quiet. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't use the WiFi. Convenient short walk to PATH and light rail but not too many dining out options nearby that we could find.

All in all, it was an average stay. I might have given 4 stars if it wasn't so expensive - considering there is no housekeeping or breakfast, and we had to pay for parking.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank chaosreins
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Jersey City, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear chaosreins,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry for letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Again, many thanks for the feedback and our apologies for the shortfalls.

Connie D